Piscking up a P64 in a few days and I'm wondering what I got

Info, pictures, advice...
Nakanokalronin

Piscking up a P64 in a few days and I'm wondering what I got

Post by Nakanokalronin »

I'm new to the forum and P64 but defiantly not new to firearms,the Makarov, Makarov clones or the 9x18 round.

I got to pick from two P64s at a LGS. Both where priced at $175.

First one is made in 1969 with a round hammer, short mag feed lips, trigger slop before the pull but looks to be in either unissued or rearsenaled condition.

Second one is the one I bought. It is made in 1971, with a round hammer, long magazine feed lips, very little play before the trigger pull starts and seems to have a little bit of holster wear around the muzzle part of the slide and at the top of the sights.

From my research (that may be incomplete), I thought all P64s from 1970 and beyond had the triangle hammer, long feed lip magazines and shorter travel on the trigger before the pull. I purposely picked the one from '71 since I figured it would be less likely that I would need to modify any magazines, but if I do, I won't have any short versions as a template. I'm sure I'll need to shoot it before anything else but I figured I'd ask. The lack of a triangular hammer is throwing me of the most.

I also have a 19lb hammer spring and 20lb recoil spring coming from Wolff. I also see that a trigger return spring and slide stop spring are sold off of this site. Do those springs improve anything or are they direct replacements? Would it be wise to change them out since the springs in the gun can essentially be 40 years old?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Piscking up a P64 in a few days and I'm wondering what I

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum bro.

I have the 22lb spring and it is still pretty snappy.

As far as old springs go IMO I don't see how a spring can lose it's "springyness" from non use even after 40yrs especially if it looks like it was not issued.

I read where a 1911 mag was found loaded after sitting for decades and it functioned w/o any problems.

If you start to have problems or see abonormal wear on slides or frames then start looking at weak spring replacements.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
drums4u

Post by drums4u »

I'm brand new here too, but over the 3 years I've had one, I have not been disappointed.
What amazes me most, is how accurate this gun is.
Enjoy.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Nakanokalronin

no they don't do anything special, just keep the gun working if the spring brakes or if you lose one ,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Nakanokalronin

Post by Nakanokalronin »

Curly1 wrote:Welcome to the forum bro.

I have the 22lb spring and it is still pretty snappy.

As far as old springs go IMO I don't see how a spring can lose it's "springyness" from non use even after 40yrs especially if it looks like it was not issued.

I read where a 1911 mag was found loaded after sitting for decades and it functioned w/o any problems.

If you start to have problems or see abonormal wear on slides or frames then start looking at weak spring replacements.
I've posted about that 1911 mag in a few other forums.I'm not too concerned about springs taking a set over long time compression, but from use. I picked up the one with a little wear on it and forgot to mention that the '71 seemed to have more wear on the barrel where the one from '69 looked perfectly blued. This indicates that the one I bought was shot enough to take a decent amount of bluing off the barrel, but I'm not sure as to how much. Should I opt for the 1969 model instead? I may order those springs JIC I feel like using the P64 as a carry gun someday which I would then, change them out immediately.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I have the 22 lb spring recoil spring. Makes the pistol a LOT easier to shoot.

Gene