Got a P-64 yesterday

Info, pictures, advice...

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by 8080 »

Hey Guys I was going to buy a P-64 from "keepshooting.com" when I phoned this shop in Tucson to FFL it the guy said they had a perfect P-64 at the shop for the exact price as keep shooting $179.99 so I made a "bee line" for murphy's gun shop cause I have a C.C.W. I was out the door in 30 minutes with 50 rounds of ball (all they had) & my looks just like new P-64. I'm happy as a doodle bug cause I've always c.c.w.ed it with 5 inch 1911's and smith & wesson 686 revolver now no one can make me at church when we hug each other. Drops right in my front pocket on my carharts. What I'm trying to say here is I thank all you guys that are on this fine forum to encourage me to buy this swell little c.c.w. masterpiece. I might have stuck my feet in the fire if I went with something else. I have not fired it yet cause of work but tomorrow I'll be at my personal range deep in the desert 30 miles from the Mexican border bipping off rounds. Where I shoot it's loaded with illegials running drugs & people. Where I go there have been kidnapings etc Just 2 weeks ago 2 were murdered for their drug shipment so I keep a hawk eye out! I'm up for anything though. I was reading a book on the green berets in afgahanistan & one of the main leaders wore a pair of makarovs when I read it it touched me in my soul then I stumbled on P-64 forum & here I am. I'll report back to you all after I test drive it......80-80
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by beasleydano »

Congrats on your P-64! What year is yours? Keep us posted after you shoot it.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by grayfox »

Please don't let the heavy DA trigger bother you. You can change springs or leave it and cock it. With pratice, you can get use to the trigger, and its only for the first shot. Best of luck and be careful were you have to shoot.
redfestiva

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by redfestiva »

Hi 8080,
It sounds like your range is a bit more exciting than mine :)I think you will like the P-64. I bought mine in early January. I've had 4 different springs in it so far and I am sticking with the original factory one . The DA pull is alright with me. I took it to a gun show last weekend to fit it for a holster and someone saw it being checked in and wanted to buy it from me before I even walked into the show. The answer was of course no.
vermonter

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by vermonter »

When returning to your car from shooting at the range be sure you save at least 6 rounds in case you get attacked by the druggies. If you walk back with an empty gun you may loose it and your life :P

I jsut got a new 1971 the weekend. A little rough on the finsih, but un-fired....
nicksterdemus

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by nicksterdemus »

Congrats on the 64. The only prob you'll have is keepin' enough ammo.....

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by 8080 »

Hi Guys I walked into the desert and fired my 1968 (round hammer naturally) P-64 that I bought two days ago. I'm very impressed with it's reliability. The shells were ejected about 6 feet or so. I tested both magazines also. The ball 95 grain ammo has good power I fired rounds through the narrow side of a two by four & they sailed right thru so I'll have confidence in the gun even though it is a short barrel. I really enjoy this forum!!!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by papabear »

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya here, and congrats on your first P-64. There is a weath of knowledge here on the P-64, so if you have questions just ask.

Take Care,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gmountain

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by gmountain »

Greetings-I just picked up one this morning. ;D Neat little gun. I think I'll change out the springs, but it is very compact and seems like just the thing for sticking in my pocket.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by grayfox »

Greetings-I just picked up one this morning. ;D Neat little gun. I think I'll change out the springs, but it is very compact and seems like just the thing for sticking in my pocket.
Before you change out the springs, clean/soak it with break-free/carb cleaner, then oil it were it needs it. My '76 was so hard that it took two fingers to pull the trigger. I thought I had cleaned it, but I REALLY soaked it with break-free & now the DA is like an old revolver, feels like the old S&W I carried for years..
Good luck
gmountain

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by gmountain »

Before you change out the springs, clean/soak it with break-free/carb cleaner, then oil it were it needs it. My '76 was so hard that it took two fingers to pull the trigger. I thought I had cleaned it, but I REALLY soaked it with break-free & now the DA is like an old revolver, feels like the old S&W I carried for years..
Good luck
Ok, I'll try that. It certainly is filled with goo. I'll post my spring questions in another thread.
magicdoc

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by magicdoc »

Hey 8080,
I was told when i got my CCW permit that is was against federal law to be packin' in church! You better do some research!
gmountain

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by gmountain »

Hey 8080,
I was told when i got my CCW permit that is was against federal law to be packin' in church! You better do some research!
That is certainly not true. It may be prohibited by some state law, but most definitely there is no federal law prohibiting carry in a church.
magicdoc

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by magicdoc »

I misspoke myself (mistyped myself?)! I meant in most of the surrounding states (around louisiana). I know it is definetly a no-no here!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Got a P-64 yesterday

Post by papabear »

Yelp, seperation of CCW's in Church in some states, but I don't think in all states.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER