Comparison between P-64 and Makarov

Info, pictures, advice...
GeneCC

Comparison between P-64 and Makarov

Post by GeneCC »

Finally took my Makarov out to the range after getting it out of the grease. I'm shooting a Bulgarian surplus.

There must have been a really different design requirement set for the Makarov versus the P-64.

1. The Makarov has an odd sight picture. It's hard to explain but compared to the P-64 it is different. Maybe it's caused in part by the trigger slack.....

2. The Makarov has a strange trigger. The slack on the trigger on single action is really LONG.... To the point that I have to almost change my grip to complete the pull.

In contrast the P-64 seems "normal" to me. I think the travel of the P-64 is far shorter and more "Western" than the Makarov.

I'm going to DEFINITELY have to get used to the Makarov SA trigger slack.

3. Felt recoil on the Makarov is less than the P-64.

Both are very solid well built firearms.

I shot the Makarov with Silver Bear 92gr FMJ rounds. No failures to feed, extract or fire. Just worked.

That damn trigger slack though..... I'm going to have to learn a special way to shoot the Makarov.

Gene
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Comparison between P-64 and Makarov

Post by Curly1 »

I have had no problems with Silver Bear in Mak,, CZ82 or p64 good stuff.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gwbiker

Re: Comparison between P-64 and Makarov

Post by gwbiker »

GeneCC wrote:Finally took my Makarov out to the range after getting it out of the grease. I'm shooting a Bulgarian surplus.

There must have been a really different design requirement set for the Makarov versus the P-64.

1. The Makarov has an odd sight picture. It's hard to explain but compared to the P-64 it is different. Maybe it's caused in part by the trigger slack.....

2. The Makarov has a strange trigger. The slack on the trigger on single action is really LONG.... To the point that I have to almost change my grip to complete the pull.

In contrast the P-64 seems "normal" to me. I think the travel of the P-64 is far shorter and more "Western" than the Makarov.

I'm going to DEFINITELY have to get used to the Makarov SA trigger slack.

3. Felt recoil on the Makarov is less than the P-64.

Both are very solid well built firearms.

I shot the Makarov with Silver Bear 92gr FMJ rounds. No failures to feed, extract or fire. Just worked.

That damn trigger slack though..... I'm going to have to learn a special way to shoot the Makarov.

Gene
Something in the trigger action (Trigger bar/sear) in your Bulgarian is not right. I have a 1960 DDR Makarov (E. German) and SA trigger pull take up is very short. My departed Bakal IJ70 also had a short SA trigger slack. Likewise my CZ82, although of a different design, still a 9x18 Makarov.

The Bulgarian/DDR/Bakal Makrov is very easy to disassemble. Google Makarov for step by step pictures of this procedure.