Difficult Safety Detent Reassembly

Info, pictures, advice...
Gary2112

Re: Difficult Safety Detent Reassembly

Post by Gary2112 »

Thanks for the welcome Ketchman. I was concerned about removing too much from the spring anyway. I'll take your advice and give it a good once over again paying particular attention to the safety barrel. I've got some 0000 steel wool I can use if necessary.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I hope it works out well for you. Just remember to go real light on the oil- don't need it collecting more gunk. Let me know how it works.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

I too would never have considered cutting short the detent spring; but the wifey's dainty hands couldn't engage the safety :roll: .

Tried rounding out the tip of the detent pin first. A huge improvement to me; but still too stiff for the wife. In the end,(after cutting one loop at a time) I removed two loops from the detent spring.

Sooo much nicer! Still falls into place nice and secure; but much smoother in operation.

Junius's technique of using a hemostat is a God send. Found them cheap at HarborFrieght, all kinds of different sizes to choose from.

I normally rate various tasks/jobs by how many "Som of a B*tches" it takes to get through it. This would easily been at least 12 SOB job; but through the techniques and videos found here, I've cut that down to two! :lol:

Peace,

Greg
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I guess if it was easy anyone could do it. I feel like a little kid crawling the floor looking for a little spring. What a goog time:)
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I diassemble/assemble in a large plastic bag with some of my pieces after learning the hard way also, it has saved me on a few occasions.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
golanglobus

Post by golanglobus »

Hi, new to the forum. Just got my P64 in the mail today (C&R rules!) from classicarms. Found the detail strip videos and SPROING! I did this too. 3 times. First two times the detent went flying, found it without too much trouble. So I thought I would crimp detent and spring, that's a good idea. Needle nose pliers snapped shut, the detent was sitting on the bench in front of me and the spring made several light bouncing sounds somewhere behind me. Never to be seen again. Someone is selling these OEM springs on gunbroker. $3 buy it now, $5 shipping. 14-21 days from Poland. Guess I won't be trying it out with live ammo for a few weeks. CURSE! I guess that will give me time to polish (lower case) the safety barrel while I wait, it's pretty stiff, otherwise cool pistol. The DA trigger's reputation is not unfounded, yowzers! Nice SA, though