What ammo do you use?

Info, pictures, advice...
roblox84

What ammo do you use?

Post by roblox84 »

I was just wondering what ammo do most people on this board use for carry as well as target practice? Also I noticed that there is a general consensus on this forum to not use Wolf ammo, so would it be fine just to get the cheapest mak ammo from my gun shop for target shooting? For self defense I was thinking about the Hornady rounds that are bi-metal hollow points.
lklawson

Re: What ammo do you use?

Post by lklawson »

roblox84 wrote:I was just wondering what ammo do most people on this board use for carry as well as target practice? Also I noticed that there is a general consensus on this forum to not use Wolf ammo, so would it be fine just to get the cheapest mak ammo from my gun shop for target shooting? For self defense I was thinking about the Hornady rounds that are bi-metal hollow points.
Wolf ammo is fine. It's just that the heavier grain ammo that Wolf makes (used to make?) can cause feed problems in a lot of Makarov caliber handguns. Really, for target practice, any of the military ball ammo works fine. Stick with grain weights in the 90's and you'll be OK. Steel cased or brass. Some prefer brass as they think that steel dirties up the chamber more.

For SD, I carry either Hornady JHP or Master Cartridge JHP (which I think uses the Hornady XTP bullet anyway).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

Ok thanks. I will go to my local Fin Feather Fur store tommorow and hopefully they will have some of that ammo there.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

Monarch 94 gr fmj ammo is what i have been using. $9.99 a box of 50 at Academy Sports. Cheap and works well never had any problems with it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I used 94gr Silver Bear and Wolf 100gr with no problems.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
68gmcfan

Post by 68gmcfan »

I have neen using brown bear and Hornady critical defense as my carry ammo, no problems here, except a good cleaning is is in order after using the Brown bear. It shoots great with either ammo. My 4" plates ring with every shot.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

For me, Privi Partizan is the best bet, both FMJ & JHP, depending on the intended use. S&B is also excellent ammo. JMHO, of course.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

Silver Bear works great for me. Shoots dirty but shoots well. Silver bear is an attractive round, the tin coating gives it a kind of look, like nickel plating but more modest.

I've used Hornady Critical Defense for a tiny bit of shooting. It's quite accurate too.

I often use Blazers. If I keep the pistol clean it works well. If the pistol gets dirty the rounds will not feed reliably.

Gene