Newbie Questions

Info, pictures, advice...
Donzi

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Donzi »

Yeah, I guess you're right, IWB64. I re-watched the video & I guess it's doable, but sure wish I had a pair of those hemostat doo-hickies. Re the 18 lb hammer spring: it really made a huge difference on my pistol. Where before, w/the original spring, I could barely cycle the trigger, I can now do so w/relative ease. BTW, it doesn't seem to affected the single action pull, which is fortunate since mine was already approaching "hair trigger" territory. Re the 20 lb recoil spring, it doesn't seem all that much harder to retract the slide; certainly not as hard as my CZ82, which is VERY stiff. Thanks f/the input.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

So I haven't changed any springs yet because I want to shoot the gun as is before I customize anything, but I do want to mention that just like everyone say's, the DA is horrendous but SA is actually very nice. It doesn't require much force and I can't see it being annoying. Do people just like a hair trigger on the P64 or does the manufacture year have something to do with what springs were installed?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I don't mind the light trigger. It has some to do with the springs but I thing the majority of it is the mechanical advantage or disadvantage. When the hammer is cocked, the advantage is pretty great and requires little effort for the sear to release the hammer. However, when in DA, the trigger bar has to pull the hammer which requires that the mainspring be compressed as the hammer is coming to the rear. So, there may not be good mechanical advantage there. It's just personal preference I guess.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

Just remember when using SA to follow through with the trigger and not let it forward till the recoil is over, cause if you do not hold it back there is a distinct possibility of a double tap, and that is not fun.