Newbie Questions

Info, pictures, advice...
roblox84

Newbie Questions

Post by roblox84 »

So I just picked up a p64 at my local gun show today and luckily I came across this board. I have always shot from revolvers and have no experience in semi autos. I was only able to play with the gun for a few minutes but I was wondering, when I pull the hammer back (mag in, no ammo) shouldn't it cock back and remain in that position until the trigger is pressed? In my p64 the hammer doesn't catch, I pull it back and it just slams back on the firing pin. Also, when pulling the trigger without cocking the slide back shouldn't the hammer cock itself and fire the gun? Sorry if the questions are stupid, last time I shot a semi auto was probably 5 or more years ago.
Donzi

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Donzi »

Are you sure the safety's not engaged? In the firing position, the safety lever should point towards the muzzle. If it IS pointing in that direction, and the pistol won't cock the hammer & fiall to the fire position, walk away from the deal. Something's wrong w/the pistol. JMHO, of course.
Donzi
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

check the safety catch. if the safety catch is on the hammer will fall back. the safety catch should be pointing forward.
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

Donzi wrote:Are you sure the safety's not engaged? In the firing position, the safety lever should point towards the muzzle. If it IS pointing in that direction, and the pistol won't cock the hammer & fiall to the fire position, walk away from the deal. Something's wrong w/the pistol. JMHO, of course.
Donzi
I was only able to play with it for 5 min. before I had to go to work. But what I can tell you is that the safety lever was covering the red dot that's painted on there. Then when I tried to pull the hammer back, it wouldn't stay in place. Pulling the trigger also wouldn't make the hammer come back.

So basically I don't need any ammo in the chamber to troubleshoot this, correct? Since I haven't fired it yet I really wouldn't want to load the gun anywhere but the range.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

If your safety is covering the red dot your gun is in safe mode.
When it (the safety lever) is pointing straight forward and you can see the red dot it is in the fire mode.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on purchasing a fine pistol.
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

The Only Sarge wrote:If your safety is covering the red dot your gun is in safe mode.
When it (the safety lever) is pointing straight forward and you can see the red dot it is in the fire mode.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on purchasing a fine pistol.
Hey thanks. Yes it sure is a nice looking pistol I just can't wait to get out of work so I can look it over some more. I hate getting something new and then having work interfere :lol: I was kind of worried because when I pulled the trigger the hammer didn't come back, so i'm really hoping I just messed up and had the safety on. But I do faintly remember that when I had the safety off (though it was on at that point) that the trigger was hard to depress so I guess I just thought the safety was on at that point and didn't bother depressing it harder. Overall, i'm hoping there's no issues with it because it looks very well kept with only some minor holster wear and it also looks as if the gun has been very well cleaned and oiled. Just gotta have a day off soon so I can hit the range. Thanks for the help from everyone and if I do find something wrong I will comment back.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Yes work sucks so I retired :)

Heads up on your new pistol....the spring these things come with is a bear to pull. Most folks change the hammer spring out with Wolff Springs. Very cheap and easy to change out.
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

The Only Sarge wrote:Yes work sucks so I retired :)

Heads up on your new pistol....the spring these things come with is a bear to pull. Most folks change the hammer spring out with Wolff Springs. Very cheap and easy to change out.
I have been reading the topics on the springs but still have not fully grasped the idea. Most on here seem to use the 18# spring, but then others say that the trigger pull is way too light for CCW. In your opinion would you recommend the 18# hammer spring over anything else? I was also thinking of getting the 20# recoil spring.

Also I was just wondering because I didn't come across anything, is there any posts about maintenance/cleaning and oiling of the gun after use? I mentioned earlier that the gun looks cleaned and oiled but I also read on here that they come with cosmo on them? Would the stuff I think is oil just be cosmo that I should clean off before shooting? I bought this from a dealer at a gun show, so i'm not sure if they would have done a complete cleaning of it or not.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Usually when us crazies get a P64 it comes from a distributor. They sell them the way the gun has been packed away for the last few decades. So we go through the "cosmoline chicken dance" ritual :)

From a gun show somebody probably already has done the cleaning on the pistol. I would tear it down and clean the crap out of it again.....but that is just me. It is good to know your gun and there are some excellent videos on this forum to guide you through it. Also if you cannot get it back together none of us will log in for a month. J/K we are glad to help out.

I use 17lb springs in most my P64's. 18lb is fine. I went with the 22lb recoil spring and the firing pin spring that comes with it to keep the slide timing all happy.

Not good for CC? I never heard that and find it silly frankly. Ever carried a Glock?
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

The Only Sarge wrote:Usually when us crazies get a P64 it comes from a distributor. They sell them the way the gun has been packed away for the last few decades. So we go through the "cosmoline chicken dance" ritual :)

From a gun show somebody probably already has done the cleaning on the pistol. I would tear it down and clean the crap out of it again.....but that is just me. It is good to know your gun and there are some excellent videos on this forum to guide you through it. Also if you cannot get it back together none of us will log in for a month. J/K we are glad to help out.

I use 17lb springs in most my P64's. 18lb is fine. I went with the 22lb recoil spring and the firing pin spring that comes with it to keep the slide timing all happy.

Not good for CC? I never heard that and find it silly frankly. Ever carried a Glock?
How is the pull on the 22lb recoil spring, is it a pain to cock the gun with it? The reason why i'm asking is because my wife will also be shooting this gun at the range and I want to make it as user friendly as possible for her.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Dont confuse the recoil spring with the hammer spring. Recoil spring is the 20/22lb spring and it controls how fast/hard the slide recoils when fired. Hammer spring is the 17/18/19lb springs...they control the trigger tension when pulling the trigger.

My 8 year old Grandson shoots my P64's all the time. He has no issue at all. If that frame of reference helps any....I (personally) cannot tell the difference between any of the three hammer springs you would get from Wolff honestly. The stock spring that comes with the gun is about 26-28lbs. Barry Bonds after a fresh injection would have issues pulling the stock springs.
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

Ok, thanks. I was just asking because I was guessing the harder the recoil spring, the more force would be needed to cock the slide back to chamber the round. But i'll take what you said and order the 18# trigger and 22# recoil spring. And since the gun will need to be taken apart to install them I may as well give it a good mineral bath as well.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The recoil is still snappy even with the 22lb spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Question re the Wolff replacement springs- Is it absolutely necessary to replace the trigger spring when doing the 20 lb. recoil spring & 18 lb. hammer spring? I did the hammer & recoil, but after watching a Youtube video on removing/replacing the firing pin, I'd just as soon not try it unless it's really necessary. TIA, guys.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

Watching the video is kinda intimidating, but the actual job is really easy. I have a wood vice on the end of my gun bench so i lock the slide in it and that way I can use both hands. I have the 20 pound recoil spring and the slide is a little harder to pull back if you do it slowly, if you snap it back like you should it isn't any worse then the factory spring. I installed the 18 pound spring and wish I would have gone with the 17. I know the 18 made a lot of difference, I can actually fire it DA and hit something.