Newbie Owner Question

Info, pictures, advice...
Donzi

Newbie Owner Question

Post by Donzi »

Hello, new guy here w/1st post. Today I received my very nice condition P64 from AIM, along w/the extra mag, holster, and cleaning rod. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't find a storage space in the holster f/the cleaning rod. Is there one, as with most of the other East Bloc military pistols & holsters I've acquired? Thanks in advance, folks. I look forward to lots of info & entertainment on this forum.
Donzi
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Newbie Owner Question

Post by juniustaylor »

They usually go behind the spare mag pouch on the holster... I think. :S
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Thanks, but I discovered last nite, on closer inspection of the holster, that there's a narrow pocket sewn in the rear right inside of the holster that seems to be f/the cleaning rod; or @ least the rod fits there & still allows the pistol to be holstered. Further, I learned why almost everyone complains about the mag release. I'm really surprised that such an otherwise well engineered weapon would have such a poor feature. I know that a member here makes an improved one, but think I'll wait awhile to see if I really want/need it. BTW, @ least on my holster, there's insufficient clearance to get the rod into the spare mag pocket.
Donzi
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Donzi wrote:Further, I learned why almost everyone complains about the mag release. I'm really surprised that such an otherwise well engineered weapon would have such a poor feature. I know that a member here makes an improved one, but think I'll wait awhile to see if I really want/need it.
Heel magazine releases are pretty common on Euro pistols, particularly those designed pre-70s or so.

To be honest, it's actually pretty easy to articulate them once you know the trick.

I hold my pistol in my right hand and supinate my hand (turn it so the palm with be up). This brings the gun horizontal in sort of "reverse gangsta" style. My left hand is pronated (palm down) and I reach over and thumb back the mag release. The motion is similar to driving my left thumb into the palm of my right hand. Simultaneously, the index finger and middle finger of my left hand hook the magazine at the front, beneath my right pinky finger, and draws the magazine down and out. Once the magazine latch is clear, I grasp the mag with my thumb and continue to draw it completely out.

It's not "drop free" but it is a very positive and natural movement. While it's not speed friendly for split-second mag changes in IPSC, it has the advantage of allowing a positive hold and controlled change without chucking your empty mag on the concrete. :)

I just assumed this is how everyone does it because it's a natural feeling process, but maybe not.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Kirk- I own several other pistols w/the heel mag release (P38, P1, CZ52, Ruger MKII), and all of them are much better engineered and easier to operate than the release on the P64. What made the Poles think that recessing it was a good idea on a military/police weapon? I have nothing against the heel release, just poorly executed examples. Overall though, the P64's on its way to becoming one of my favorite East Bloc pistols.
Donzi
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Some of it is probably just the size of the pistol limits what they could do to it. Some may have been manufacturing cost. If they were to have used a longer mag release, who knows what it could have got caught on and the magazine gets popped out and they've only got one shot. The recessed release keeps it from getting accidently tripped. It's not a difficult release to operate either. It's a whole lot easier than my Ruger Mk II .22 and even that one doesn't bother me. While holding the pistol with my right hand I bring my left hand up to grab the floor plate of the mag. At the same time, the tip of my left thumb pushes the release and I pull the mag out of the pistol. It's pretty darn quick and easy.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
eugene213

Post by eugene213 »

lklawson wrote:
Donzi wrote:Further, I learned why almost everyone complains about the mag release. I'm really surprised that such an otherwise well engineered weapon would have such a poor feature. I know that a member here makes an improved one, but think I'll wait awhile to see if I really want/need it.
Heel magazine releases are pretty common on Euro pistols, particularly those designed pre-70s or so.

To be honest, it's actually pretty easy to articulate them once you know the trick.

I hold my pistol in my right hand and supinate my hand (turn it so the palm with be up). This brings the gun horizontal in sort of "reverse gangsta" style. My left hand is pronated (palm down) and I reach over and thumb back the mag release. The motion is similar to driving my left thumb into the palm of my right hand. Simultaneously, the index finger and middle finger of my left hand hook the magazine at the front, beneath my right pinky finger, and draws the magazine down and out. Once the magazine latch is clear, I grasp the mag with my thumb and continue to draw it completely out.

It's not "drop free" but it is a very positive and natural movement. While it's not speed friendly for split-second mag changes in IPSC, it has the advantage of allowing a positive hold and controlled change without chucking your empty mag on the concrete. :)

I just assumed this is how everyone does it because it's a natural feeling process, but maybe not.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I was out shooting today, and I was able to do mag swaps as well as tac reloads using something similar to the above description with little issue.

I have just approached the heel release like I am always doing tac reloads (pulling a partial mag, retaining it for future use, and slapping in a fresh mag). I just drop my empties instead. If I can get the time and ammo to run the course with this a few more times, I think I'll be qualifying with it at the December quals as my backup/off-duty piece. I like the idea of at least one P-64 back in police service, in 2011... I have to be honest though, it will neck and neck with my J-frame for who actually gets carried. I like the extra round, and the 9x18 caliber.... but its hard to beat a J-frame for that "this will always work" warm and fuzzy feeling...
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Eugene-

I also have a Smith J frame; a Mdl 60 I inherited from my late uncle. It's by far my favorite revolver.
I just wish it held 6 vice 5 rounds, but I guess one has to compromist somewhere.
Donzi
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Aaaah the model 60. Was my first handgun 35 years ago and it still gets some carry time.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary