J&G Sales P-64 Quality

Info, pictures, advice...
kielbasakid

J&G Sales P-64 Quality

Post by kielbasakid »

Gents, I just received 2 more from J&G Sales today. They must be getting close to the bottom of the barrel. The quality of these two were not to my liking. These actually had some rust and some pitting, minor, but never the less, rust and pitting. They also had more holster wear than my previous one. I addressed my concerns about the last one I received with customer service. I also expressed my opinion that maybe the advertised condition should be downgraded a bit. The new kids are soaking in zip lock storage bags in a thick coating of Break-Free CLP. This coming week I will pull them out and give em' the works, and then I'll see what I really have. I am considering getting them re-blued, but everybody around these parts that does bluing charges more to blue them than what they cost. Anybody up for a "Group Bluing"? I have seen recent pics of some P-64's bought from Classic Arms, and they look very nice. I almost went with them, but decided to save a little money and give J&G another chance. My mistake. :puke:

V/R

K-Kid
pjmather

Re: J&G Sales P-64 Quality

Post by pjmather »

I received a P64 last Thursday from AIM and I doubt that it has ever been fired . . . cleaned it up and took it to the range this afternoon - it performed beautifully
peter2011

Post by peter2011 »

Well, I ordered from J&G ($149,00,+22 s/h- nothing extra) :shock: on 10/25/11. hope to get a phone call from Buffalo Bill shooting store in Orlando Florida ($42.00 FFL trnfr fee) by 11/2/11. Aslo the spring #20 Recoil and #20 for the Hammer. See if this work...Update next week on the good, the bad, and the ugly of the pistol. Ammo from Cabela's PPU/93gn.
Last edited by peter2011 on November 17th, 2011, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kielbasakid

Post by kielbasakid »

Thanks to Juniustaylor for some great videos! Now, I got a wild hair standing up at 0620 this A.M. and I proceeded to pull it! The 2 P-64's I received yesterday bounced around in my head last night, all night, so I got up, fired up the computer, and tore down one of the new kids to parade rest following step by step with Juniustaylor's video. Disassembly was a piece of cake, and an EYE OPENER! There inside that cute little pistol was almost 40 years of COLD WAR CRUD and HIDDEN RUST! Gents, you owe it to yourself and your P-64, regardless of outward appearance, to break it down totally, inspect it, and give it one thorough deep clean and lube job!! I was shocked! I have decided to break the second one down, bag the parts by sub-assembly as I did today. I will have both P-64's totally re-blued. I also noticed that some of the interior parts are very roughly finished. The parts that have an effect on trigger pull or overall smoothness of operation are going to be buffed smooth, the rest of the pistol will be kept as original. I should have taken pictures of the problem areas, but didn't think about it at the time. The overnight bath in the Low Odor Mineral Spirits and Break-Free Solution (after thinking about the situation, I pulled them from the Zip-Lock bags and tanked them), the inside COLD WAR CRUD was really loosened up, and the CRUSTY RUST SPOTS were really exposed. Fortunately there were no critical areas affected with CRUSTY RUST, and a bronze brush did away with it leaving a surprisingly smooth, rust free surface. I did find a considerable amount of THICK BLACK SLUDGE in the FIRING PIN CHANNEL, The FIRING PIN SPRING, and THE LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR CHANNEL. This was probably a combination of years of carbon and cleaning fluid forming the sludge, and the addition of the heavy lubricant for long term storage.These weapons were definitely not cleaned at the arsenal level before storage like the Russian's did theirs. These 2 P-64's will clean up nicely, and look pristine after bluing. I hate to remove the original finish, but, these pistols are not rare, and I would rather restore them to like new and save them for future generations of shooters in my family. I will try to take pictures of the next disassembly, and see if there is a pattern to the trouble spots. More to come!

K-Kid
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear that the videos were of some use to you. Bummer to hear of their condition from J&G but I'm glad you were able to doctor them up! These are very simple pistols to work with.

-Junius
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
espania1958

Post by espania1958 »

Maybe these would be prime test subjects for Duracoat. I was watching a couple of videos on youtube showing how to do this. It would be interesting to see a P64 duracoated.
kielbasakid

Post by kielbasakid »

They are headed out as we speak to CCR in Tennessee for "Parkerizing Plus" treatment!
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

peter2011 wrote: ($42.00 FFL trnfr fee)
Man your getting hosed by your FFL. Go and get your C & R license for $30 and they can ship it right to you door. Also I would look for a different FFL dealer for transfers. I only pay $15 per transfer. I usually give the guy $20 just to keep him happy and willing to do business.
mjmelland

Post by mjmelland »

J&G, about two weeks ago, 1976 P-64... no crud, no rust, appeared unissued. Was the $149 sale plus $20 hand select. Definately worth the extra cash... magazine was used, not numbered to the gun.
Attachments
P64b.jpg
P64b.jpg (207.74 KiB) Viewed 11793 times
sksman

Post by sksman »

Wish I had a camera up to post the condition my P64 from J&G came in. Lots of holster wear, thankfully no pitting or rust. As I unpack, I'll look for my wife's camera to post a pic. Mechanically, nothing is wrong with mine thank God. Swapped out the hammer spring (which took longer than it should have because I'm really weak), and it's great.
I'll admit it, I'm a Commie arms lover.
kielbasakid

Post by kielbasakid »

Peter, how did your P-64 look?
CW2011

Post by CW2011 »

kielbasakid wrote:Gents, I just received 2 more from J&G Sales today. They must be getting close to the bottom of the barrel. The quality of these two were not to my liking. These actually had some rust and some pitting, minor, but never the less, rust and pitting. They also had more holster wear than my previous one. I addressed my concerns about the last one I received with customer service. I also expressed my opinion that maybe the advertised condition should be downgraded a bit. The new kids are soaking in zip lock storage bags in a thick coating of Break-Free CLP. This coming week I will pull them out and give em' the works, and then I'll see what I really have. I am considering getting them re-blued, but everybody around these parts that does bluing charges more to blue them than what they cost. Anybody up for a "Group Bluing"? I have seen recent pics of some P-64's bought from Classic Arms, and they look very nice. I almost went with them, but decided to save a little money and give J&G another chance. My mistake. :puke:

V/R

K-Kid
I just received my P-64 from J&G this past week.I must say that it is a little more worn that the description in the SGN add says. The rifling also is scored about halfway down the barrel and it is a pretty deep gash at that.I also noticed that right after receiving mine the price has now dropped to 149.99 at J&G.I think Kid ( and my gunshop owner) are correct " they must be getting near the bottom of the barrel".
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

CW2011, sorry to hear that. That is a shame. I hope you're going to deal with J&G on a remedy to this. It's BS when a gun distributor can't take some time to quickly scan over main parts of the (used) pistol before shipping it out.
:puke:
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
danthemanx07

Post by danthemanx07 »

I talked to a guy at J&G before I decided where to place an order. I specifically asked about the bores in the P-64. He said they just dont have the ability to look at each one. I could understand that you wouldnt do this as you received them, but I agree with Jun. It could easily be done before you drop it in the mail...
Rvulcan500

Post by Rvulcan500 »

Hi,
Ordered 1 from J&G sales to "save a few dollars" and I ended spending up almost what the average is. I bought 2 extra magazines from SOG and had the slide reblued because it was a nice shade of Purple. I should have spent the extra and bought from another dealer at least I would have got a holster and cleaning rod.
Can't complain to much though it is in great working order.
thanks
Ric
" Got a big suspicion about ammuntion, I never forget to duck......" - Jimmy Buffett