J&G Sales P-64 Quality

Info, pictures, advice...
Donzi

Re: J&G Sales P-64 Quality

Post by Donzi »

I spent a little more ($179+shipping) and got the wholeP64 rig (pistol, 2 mags, cleaning rod & holster) from AIM. After receiving mine & reading the posts here, I'm glad I did. I also paid the $10 "best of 5" pick fee & got a P64 w/almost no external/internal wear. The holster, although sound, needs some re-dying for rub points on the exterior, but I still got a pistol w/one matching s/n mag (2nd mag has different s/n), and the cleaning rod which is different from the other East-Bloc rods I own). Since it's a C&R gun I got it shipped direct, so I'd say that overall it was a pretty good deal. Finally, I'll say that I tend to be a bit biased against J&G. I bought a Polish Tantal AK74 from them several years ago that had a bum barrel, (wrong caliber), so I'm not too anxious to deal w/them again. Also, they always seem to short you on accessories & condition. I don't think they're bad people, or rip-offs, just that there are better sources available. JMHO, of course. Finally, I have no connection to AIM, other than as a customer.
Donzi
peter2011

Post by peter2011 »

Well I got it. Not in good condition. Old 1969. It appears that J&G wants people to pay more to get the good ones. I think- this one they used it for target practice during smoke break during work hours. I have the Wolff 22Lb. but it looks the same as the original. I want to know if the Wolff 22Lb. is longer or shorter of the original :?:Anyway not in very good condition. :evil:

P.S. Never again.
mstrausbough

Post by mstrausbough »

I just ordered one for $149 with one extra mag. did not pay for hand pic. So interested in seeing what i get. When I spoke to J&G rep he said he showed 800 in inventory. I will post pics and condition report when i get it. I also ordered a hammer spring from Wolfe.

Merry Christmas

Seuss
Dr. Seuss
Former Navy Corpsman
C&R FFL

Frederick County, Maryland
dullone

Post by dullone »

I live in Prescott, and went into J&G to buy a P64. They brought out 3 or 4 guns for me to select from.
This is their SOP , the guns are randomly select from their inventory, not "hand select".
Of the guns they presented all had issues, on some the decockers worked very poorly. Because of the issues they actually brought out a couple more guns for me to select from. I picked one that showed very little wear, but mags we're very tight to get in or out. I bought an extra mag and had to go thru a dozen before finding one that was acceptable. As it turns out the screw attaching the grips had been over tighten allowing the grips to pinch the mags for an overly tight fit, discovered this at home after tearing down for cleaning.

The sales people, while very courteous, plead ignorance about their knowledge of gun condition or problems (probably a liability issue, don't want to offer "opinions")

It all worked out well for me, but only because I was there to sort out the individual issues. Had it been a web purchase it would have been the luck of the draw. YMMV.

If you buy from J&G...... DO buy the hammer spring kit from them. Reasonably priced and allows you to pull the double action trigger with reasonable effort.
WTx

Post by WTx »

Bought mine from AIM in Oct. A little general wear but great condition. I finally got to the range yesterday and it shoots great. Sorry to hear some of you are having problems!!
marmy7451

Post by marmy7451 »

As to refinishing.
have been refinished by Mac's Restorations in Tuf-Gun. This is a moly disulfide based baked coating. It is VERY robust and lasting finish. I believe that it was about $120 and it is available in many colors and shades. Both of mine have a black slide and gray frame. These have around 4000 rounds through each. I have a total of 9 guns with this finish with a 9mm with 14000 rds and a 38 super with about 22000. For a carry gun it is the most rigged finish I have found and reasonably priced. Do a google search for Mac's Restorations or Tuf-Gun finishes.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi,
New to the board having just purchased two p-64s from J&G. I love the weapon and bought specifically to carry concealed. The reason I have two is I was not happy with the condition of the first one I received from J&G as I paid the additional $ for the hand select. The one I did receive was a good representation of what was shown on the website, it had a decent amount of holster wear and had been shot many times and never cleaned (1972).

When I called to complain, the guy I spoke with asked me to send some pictures which I did and he agreed I was sent normal select. His proposal was to personally select one and send it out for the normal price of $149 with no shipping charges. I agreed to this and have since received that weapon as well which is in perfect condition and never been fired (1976).

I am quite happy with this resolution and would buy from J&G again.
Stang

Post by Stang »

Hi. New to the P-64 and new to the board.

I ordered from J&G just before Christmas and just got my guns tonight. I couldn't be happier.

In beautiful condition.... looks like nothing ever went down the barrel. Bluing is in near perfect condition.

I did pay for hand select maybe that made a difference.

I also got a Nagant Revolver and it too is in great condition. Barrel is shiny and looks new. 1941 with all tools and holster.

I am a very happy customer.
Stang

Post by Stang »

Just got my second P-64. The first one was from J&G and was a beautiful 1976 hand select. Couldnt be happier..

Second one I just got from AIM. It is a 1974 hand select and it is not as nice as the one form J&G but still very nice. Got 2 clips (neither one matched the gun ser# and they were both incredibly dirty. The holster is nothin to write home about.

Summary.... I paid the same price for each of them. flip a coin. Both are nice but i kinda like the J&G better.
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

Hi all, New to both the P64 and the forum. :hi:

Just bought a P64 and Polish Tokarev from J&G in person on Dec 31. Made the 6 and a half
hour dive to Prescott from So. Cal.

I had to promise the wife a gun of her own to justify the Tok I wanted. While I'm digging the Tokarev, I'm really lov'in the P64 I bought for her! Wish I bought two!

The crew at J&G we're kind and patient. As described earlier, they brought out three of each to look over. I asked for hand select on the P64; but was told that a new shipment just came in, and that they had not as of yet had the opportunity to go through and grade them yet. The three brought to me were in like new condition. no holster wear and dated 74 and two 76's. The counter guy said he just grabbed three off hand and that he would fetch more to inspect if I wasn't satisfied.
No need, bores looked awesome. In the end I nabbed one of the 76 dated ones that showed the least amount of scratches on the plastic grips; - not that there was much of that on any of them.
Picked up a couple of extra mags and boxes of ammo for each; drank down a 5 hour energy drink and headed back.

My experience with J&G was a good one. The store is clean and well staffed and patient with my questions.

I'm now finding that I'm fondling the P64 more than the Tokarev. Gonna have to get the wife something else! :D

Peace, Greg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Greg.

Yea you shudda got 2 bro :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

Curly1 wrote:Yea you shudda got 2 bro :)
That ain't no lie. I see their back on sale for $149.00... hmmm :P