Barrel/Bore Damage?

Info, pictures, advice...
havegonetooz

Barrel/Bore Damage?

Post by havegonetooz »

Newbe P64 owner here. Just received a 1974 model and I'm wondering about the bore. I'm concerned about the dents on the back of the barrel by the bore. On the left side the metal is actually caved in/pushed into the bore itself. The damage extends into the bore, and also the shape of the opening of the bore is no longer circular when looking down the barrel. A piece of metal juts out now which can be seen in the 3rd picture. Is this normal? Safe to shoot?
Attachments
2584e96aeef93bec1318498031.jpeg
2524e96aece2f8431318497998.jpeg
8124e96ae4812a9a1318497864.jpeg
The Only Sarge

Re: Barrel/Bore Damage?

Post by The Only Sarge »

Short story....
They all look like that.
I "gently" file all my P-64's smooth....but the "dents" are part of the gun.
http://p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4211
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

+1 to Sarge.

The link that he provided, read all the way through it. I have a picture on there of mine and it shows the same spots. Basically at some point in time when someone was either disassembling it or putting it back together they evidently let go of the slide when the spring was compressed. This launches the bolt face of the slide into the front of the chamber there and these little nubs on the bottom of the bolt face will whack into the chamber area and put those dents. I also agree with Sarge, lightly file or sand it to remove the majority of the steel from being shoved into the chamber area. This is nothing out of the ordinary, these marks.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
havegonetooz

Post by havegonetooz »

Ok, thanks Sarge and juniustaylor. Sarge, it is exactly like the link you gave. The slide extractor at some point slammed into the barrel there, causing that. My concern was the peen mark pushed the metal into the bore itself (damaged the bore by about 1-2 millimeters) on the 10-11 oclock position. I put a bullet in there with the slide off and it seems the metal sticking out from there touches the casing first... So I'll check to see if there are any marks on the casing when I go shoot it. Your posts definitely put me at ease. Thanks!

Oh and Sarge, do you mean you would use like a jewelers file to round out the rough edges in the bore? Or only on the outside of the barrel (like on the 3 oclock position)?
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I use jewelers rouge to polish the chamber/ramp and a small fine file to smooth out the "dents"....
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

A lot of users just leave them alone and suffer no ill effects.

Still, it looks nicer cleaned up and if you find that it affects function, then definitely smooth the rough.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
p64haspummeledme

Post by p64haspummeledme »

I recently acquired a 1967 P-64 that had that "peened" damage on the throat of the barrel, the worst was in the 10 o'clock position on the throat. These impact damages on the throat were caused by careless release of the slide when either taking it (the slide) off or putting it on, causing the impact of sufficiently high velocity to cause the damage. If the "peen" impact on the throat was sufficiently hard to put a burr ON THE INSIDE OF THE THROAT there IS a problem that needs to be repaired. A quick test to see if the burr is interfering with the bullet properly seating in the throat mouth is very easy. Simply insert a 9x18 round into the throat and see if it seats at the proper level. You may not KNOW what a proper level is unless you have an undamaged barrel to compare how far your bullet should seat. Fortunately there is another method... take a small flashlight and shine it on the throat opening while looking down the muzzle from the other end. If you can SEE the impact burr visible from the muzzle end, it most likely will prevent your bullet from seating properly in the throat mouth. A small gunsmithing file used very carefully can remove the obstruction. Flitz or 0000 steel wool can be used for the finishing smooth up work. I am 100% convinced steel cased ammo DID NOT create the damage in the area I described previously! Be careful and enjoy your P-64!