just noticed rust on my p64...help

Info, pictures, advice...
115grfmj

Post by 115grfmj »

Okay folks I have kept this thing lubed since I got it (and removed the cosmo), and never noticed any rust. The other night I happen to chance looking thru my safe with my maglite....and the beam strayed across my p64 ???.......I noticed surface rust on the inside of the trigger guard....on the front underside of the frame where they put those import markings :(. In normal light I cant see the rust, but when I light it up with the flashlight, it shows up clear as day. How do I remove this without ruining the finish???? How could it have gottten that way, I keep it wet with breakfree, and before that it was covered in cosmo. Has anyone else had this prob...........sorry guys I've just never had any rust before on any of my blued guns :o.
Last edited by 115grfmj on January 27th, 2007, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

Are you sure it's rust, and not dried cosmoline? Harden cosmoline can look like rust. In any event, if it's just surface rust that can be easily delt with with Break Free and some elbow grease. If you do take off the bluing in the process, it's a easy fix to touch it up, get yourself a product called INTERGRITY RADOCY, or any fast action cold bluing product, and apply it per the directions and it will look look good
Last edited by prometheus on January 27th, 2007, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I've got this little square brush about three inches long with a wooden back and brass bristles. When I reblue, I use it to polish out the final finish before oiling. Use a little WD-40 or gun oil with it and it will clean that up with as little damage as anything. Good luck. I hope it's cosmoline. If it is rust and you have to remove a little bluing to clean it up, use Vans bluing to touch it up. It doesn't smell and it will not alter the blue of the origional finish next to the repair, therefore, blending better. Follow their directions.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

My old Taurus revolver shows lots of holster rubs. Can a do it yourselfer touch up several spots of bluing without it looking like crap? If so what product would be best and how is it applied?
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

My old Taurus revolver shows lots of holster rubs. Can a do it yourselfer touch up several spots of bluing without it looking like crap? If so what product would be best and how is it applied?
May I suggest that you re-read the post immediately prior to yours, as the answers to all your questions were given there before you asked them.

b.