A learning experiance

Info, pictures, advice...
tall gunner

A learning experiance

Post by tall gunner »

I have to say that with my new C&R nothing is quite as exciting as receiving a pistol from the "boys in brown" on my own doorstep. Unfortunately, from there the experience went downhill. After watching many you tube videos and reading about other's experiences I ordered a P64 from SOG and paid for '"hand select" hoping to get the best pistol possible. My enthusiasm dimmed when I discovered (after I placed my order) that the price listed ($169 + $10 for hand pick) was a cash price and that my price had been bumped up 3% since I paid with a credit card. Oh well, live and learn. When it arrived today I photographed the whole opening ceremony and finally had the pistol itself in my hand. Hmm...some blueing wear, not the "as new" I'd been hoping for. Oh well, it is 35 years old! Wow there's a big ding in the chamber...look at all that peening on the frame, my that hammer drop is hard to move with one thumb..looks like somebody's been banging on the rear sight with a hammer. I had heard SOG is good about this sort of thing so I called them up. Sure I could send it back within 90 days, no they could not quarantee any better quality of pistol, no they would not pay shipping. Well, i figure I paid $200 to learn who not to buy a gun from. On to my next aquisition!! :mrgreen:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: A learning experiance

Post by juniustaylor »

Hand pick normally equals "best out of 5". I wonder what the other 4 pistols looked like that were stacked up with that one???!!!! That's pretty lame. I think that's pretty crappy. You really gotta watch that "3% cash discount". Lots of internet sellers, especially gunbroker, like to throw that in the fine print. Oh well, everyone is out to get the most money they can. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as good as others' on here from SOG. If it wouldn't cost you a fortune to send it back to them, I would. Then go to the folks at http://www.classicarms.us or another one listed elsewhere on this forum and get one from them. You could always take pictures of it and email pictures to another vendor and see if they can guarantee a nicer looking one. That's hard to imagine that SOG is basically at the bottom of the barrel and sending out mediocre P-64's at the price of a new one. There should be some discount on something as rough as you're explaining.

Anyway, welcome to the board!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Sorry to hear about your experience.. a few years I used to deal was SOG. I would guess I either bought 15 to 16 guns from them plus reccomended to friends. THEN the exact same thing happened to me as it did to tall gunner. ( I knew about the 3%) I got a P64 that was supposed to be excellent and etc etc and paid hand select. when it was delivered it looked more then beat up .I called em got the same story but a little worse. first there was an attitude then they said send it back but wouldnt pay shipping.At the time the P64 was not a C and R and I paid the local FFL and then would have to pay it again when they shipped another. I said no thanks to that. Havent bought anything from em since nor would I ever again. there are too many other companies out there.. The up side was the gun functioned fine, so I got some alum-hide and redid it . to this day I still use it as a carry and it held up great with the finish.. So tall gunner know you are not alone out there and you will remember the experience and find better dealers I did.
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

tall gunner wrote:I have to say that with my new C&R nothing is quite as exciting as receiving a pistol from the "boys in brown" on my own doorstep. Unfortunately, from there the experience went downhill. After watching many you tube videos and reading about other's experiences I ordered a P64 from SOG and paid for '"hand select" hoping to get the best pistol possible. My enthusiasm dimmed when I discovered (after I placed my order) that the price listed ($169 + $10 for hand pick) was a cash price and that my price had been bumped up 3% since I paid with a credit card. Oh well, live and learn. When it arrived today I photographed the whole opening ceremony and finally had the pistol itself in my hand. Hmm...some blueing wear, not the "as new" I'd been hoping for. Oh well, it is 35 years old! Wow there's a big ding in the chamber...look at all that peening on the frame, my that hammer drop is hard to move with one thumb..looks like somebody's been banging on the rear sight with a hammer. I had heard SOG is good about this sort of thing so I called them up. Sure I could send it back within 90 days, no they could not quarantee any better quality of pistol, no they would not pay shipping. Well, i figure I paid $200 to learn who not to buy a gun from. On to my next aquisition!! :mrgreen:
they all have a ding in the chamber, and all the hammer drops are hard to move. frame peening is bad though. as is the comment about the sights.

even if you somehow found one without a ding in the chamber, you'd end up putting one there when you cleaned it. it's pretty easy to screw up when putting the slide back on. it flings forward and part of it smacks against the chamber, causing that ding. doesn't effect function of the thing.

call SOG and give them a chance to make it right. just don't expect one without the chamber ding and with a decocker that works like butter.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I had heard SOG is good about this sort of thing so I called them up.
From the way it sounds, the rest of the '64's that SOG has are crap if they told him they all look like what he described. He did call SOG and they told him he'd have to pay the return shipping and they couldn't guarantee him a nicer looking one. I wonder if a cleaning of the gun would make the hammer drop any better. Shouldn't be hard to move.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
tall gunner

Post by tall gunner »

Interesting to hear that all or most of them have the chamber ding. The picture in the thread " mystery chamber wear" is exactly what I am talking about. Good to hear that it has no effect on functioning. Mine is going back Mon. I think I'll deal with Classic Arms from now on. I just like the way they sound on their web site. Thanks to whoever suggested them and thanks for all the other suggestions. Now if I can just learn how to spell experience......
KINGWC

Post by KINGWC »

Wow!! I ordered mine from Aim two weeks ago and I did not choose had select and I was very pleased with my p64 it is about 95% with only one minor scratch and one very small place on the end of the barrel where the blue is worn.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

tall gunner wrote:Interesting to hear that all or most of them have the chamber ding. The picture in the thread " mystery chamber wear" is exactly what I am talking about. Good to hear that it has no effect on functioning. Mine is going back Mon. I think I'll deal with Classic Arms from now on. I just like the way they sound on their web site. Thanks to whoever suggested them and thanks for all the other suggestions. Now if I can just learn how to spell experience......
Mine has the "ding" too. At roughly the two o'clock position. I consider it a "mark of the breed".