Classic Arms - Kudos!

Info, pictures, advice...
enbarnes

Re: Classic Arms - Kudos!

Post by enbarnes »

Apology in advance if this is in the wrong place.

I didn't mean the springs are tight (although they may be) -- I meant the mags are tight going into and coming out of the mag well.

One of them is 0.464" wide, the other is 0.468" wide. The former inserts and removes much more easily than the latter (naturally).

Does anyone know what the spec is or where to find it.?
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

How do your mags feel/drop when the grips are off?
enbarnes

Post by enbarnes »

OK, they act normal with the grips off or even loosened. So should I go easy on the grip screws, or do something else? It doesn't seem right not to at least "snug" the screw up.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I have had two P-64's that came to me with the grip screws torqued down way too much and had the same issue. Not having engineering/manufacturing specs, but relying on years of aircraft/performance engine building (machinist).
I can look at the grip screw/grip assembly and how it counteracts with the frame and say with confidence you should not torque your grip screw down until "tight". Snug is more like it.

I have all mine snug (and my friends P-64 guns) snugged and they have never moved in a kabillion rounds through them.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The Only Sarge wrote:they have never moved in a kabillion rounds through them
That's a lot of dang rounds.

Definitely sounds like the grip screw may be too tight. May want to take the grips off and clean them up and make sure there are no plastic burrs or something of the sort. Last resort you could try sanding the flat areas down inside where the grips may be rubbing. You'd just have to take them off and see if you may have some drag marks.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
enbarnes

Post by enbarnes »

Thanks for all the advice. I never had them beyond what I would call snug, but I have now backed them off enough to allow the mags to move freely (they'll now drop out when empty and released).
The screw appears to penetrate the nut about right, so if I have any issues I guess I'll use a mild Loctite on them.
I don't think i want to sand down the grips. I did clean them but they looked OK as far as burrs and the like.
(I realize the design is in no way the same but the grip screws need to be TIGHT on my SIG P238.)
tsvideopro

Post by tsvideopro »

Got my first order today with my Curios and Relics license. It was the P 64 from Classic Firearms (formerly Classic Arms). Classic Firearms is a great place to deal with. They advertised VG-Excellent and this is easily an Excellent. And not handpicked either. I will check them first on any future buys. Quick service as well. I am going to a gun show tomorrow and plan to get some ammo for it. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

Best bet at the gunshow will probably be Silver Bear (at least it is by me usually). Its good to go. Look for anything but Wolf and you should be alright. I will be doing the same thing tomorrow. Have fun.
tsvideopro

Post by tsvideopro »

Thanks cubsfan. And have fun as well. I will look for the ammo you suggested.
tsvideopro

Post by tsvideopro »

Thanks, cubsfan. I took your advice and bought 3 boxes of Silver Bear ammo. Looking forward to shooting this gun for the first time.
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

Glad you found some. I struck out. Only saw a little 9x18 at the show this weekend. All of it was way over priced. Oh well, I scored a deal on some 7.62x25. I guess it all works out. Have fun at the range.