Made some videos

Info, pictures, advice...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Made some videos

Post by juniustaylor »

Videos cover disassembly and reassembly of the slide and frame. I apologize ahead of time for my monotone voice... it's just the way I talk. Also, for certain times when you can't quite see what I'm doing. I had to use a webcam clipped to the neck of my shirt so it was just hanging there. I hope these can help some folks with questions.

Slide Disassembly and Reassembly:

Frame Disassembly:

Frame Reassembly:
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Re: Made some videos

Post by lklawson »

Groovy. Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Great job on the video's. I've had mine apart before
but you make it look easy. You must do it often to
make it look so easy. Thanks,
Denny
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks for the compliment. The only reason I somewhat got good at it was when I made some videos for SandMan on how to remove his disconnector. In the process of making that video, I took most of the frame apart about 10 times. The trigger bar, trigger, and slide stop are all relatively easy as it is. Getting the trigger spring under the trigger bar is easy with the right tool. The slide can give fits with that cartridge indicator keeper piece. Otherwise, it's relatively simple too. Nothing like my CZ-82.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Great video Junius, I never took the P64 apart that far I did take the P83 apart and replaced the sear and sanded trigger bar and deburred several parts. The guy was right you make it look easy now I know its a little harder for me than that. You would make a hell of a gunsmith and if I ever take my P64 that far apart after I get thru trying to get it back together I will send you a box of parts to reassemble for me. I finally went back to the 19# hammer spring and now it it a pretty nice carry gun. The pistol is thin the double action is little heavy but not to bad, single action was touchy at first but when I got used to it it is just fine. I got all the fancy high dollar guns and I carry the P64 with cor-bon 70gr bullets and it feeds just fine.

I bought a LC9 and had to send it back to the factory had light strikes on about 10 out of 50rds. Last week I fired 100rds of 93gr Missouri Cast thru the P64 and it never misfired at all. You don't carry a gun that misfires 10 out of 50. The Ruger factory was anxious to get it back they even paid the shipping. I think it was just light springs but who knows.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

excellent video and thank you

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Frank, thanks for the comment. If you got it apart, the video should help you put it back together :). The lighter mainsprings do take a bit to get used to, but eventually they feel good and you get used to shooting it with an extra-light SA pull. Wonder why Ruger didn't do extensive testing on the LC9 or if they were just trying to get it pushed out to the market. Probably what the issue was, a light striker spring. Hopefully they get a good one in there and that you won't have any misfires.

Norm, thank you.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I really appreciate the time you took to do these video's and sharing with the community.
Thank you.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

This one is for taking the mainspring out to change it for another stock or aftermarket Wolff replacement.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun
another great video

thanks

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

fknipfer1 wrote:Great video Junius, I never took the P64 apart that far I did take the P83 apart and replaced the sear and sanded trigger bar and deburred several parts. The guy was right you make it look easy now I know its a little harder for me than that. You would make a hell of a gunsmith and if I ever take my P64 that far apart after I get thru trying to get it back together I will send you a box of parts to reassemble for me. I finally went back to the 19# hammer spring and now it it a pretty nice carry gun. The pistol is thin the double action is little heavy but not to bad, single action was touchy at first but when I got used to it it is just fine. I got all the fancy high dollar guns and I carry the P64 with cor-bon 70gr bullets and it feeds just fine.

I bought a LC9 and had to send it back to the factory had light strikes on about 10 out of 50rds. Last week I fired 100rds of 93gr Missouri Cast thru the P64 and it never misfired at all. You don't carry a gun that misfires 10 out of 50. The Ruger factory was anxious to get it back they even paid the shipping. I think it was just light springs but who knows.

fknipfer1
There's something satisfying about carrying an old milsurp pistol that isn't there with something new and plastic. Kind of the gun equivalent of driving a nicely restored '70 chevelle.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

As I just parked my 65 GTO back in the garage with my CZ82 tucked into the IWB holster :)
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Exactly.

Sometimes people ask me why I occasionally choose to carry my CZ52 or P64 (I'm not CCing my CZ82, at least not yet) when there are so much "better" guns available for CC. I ask them why people choose to drive a '65 Mustang sometimes when there are so much "better" cars available now.

They usually understand that comparison. (...usually. :P )

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
stover

Post by stover »

Awesome videos, just found them. I don't have a P64 any more but still enjoyed them. Kept looking for the part where you crawl around on the floor for hours looking for misc springs and other small parts. Guess I'll have to do that video next time I have a P64 on hand ;).
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Stover, it just seems to depend on how you handle it when you take the thing apart. If you're real careful you can avoid launching springs and various pins. I feel like I'm pretty careful, but I can take them apart and put them together in good time without fumbling around too much. Working with my webcam clipped to my shirt and then trying to make it so it would catch what I was doing was a lot of work. It has been well worth it as lots of folks have gained some insight on what they're up against when they need to take their pistol apart whether it's for that initial cleaning when they get it in from the supplier/dealer or if a part breaks and they need to figure out how in the heck to change it. Had a feller on Youtube send me a PM and said he greatly appreciated them. I've just been glad to help folks.