Re: Made some videos

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Thank you, it's nice to find a forum such as this where people are helpful and friendly. Seems like today most of these forums end up with people just wanting to argue be be basic a$$h0les. Thank you for the welcome hoping the new year finds you and yours well and prosperous.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

Another thank you Mr. Taylor. Seeing your videos helped me make the decision to get a P-64 and work on it myself. I'm still waiting for my springs from Wolff. Should be any day now.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I am glad the videos have been of good help to all of you! I will make a confession, I did trade off my P-64 about a month ago for another handgun that I wanted more. I still have a CZ-82. Nothing wrong with the P-64, I just found something else I wanted more. I may acquire another one later on down the road. I will still continue to help as much as I can based upon my past experiences with it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

JUN

you need to change your video's to public, on Photobucket

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
EGL

Post by EGL »

Tried to watch the videos but it sez it is private. I have just acquired a P 64 and to be able to watch your video would be very helpful.
Thanks,
EGL
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Sorry about that EGL. I haven't touched YouTube video settings ever. They had always been public in the past. I'm guessing something with the Google+ changed all the videos over to private and it never notified me. All the videos are once again public. Norm and EGL, thanks for letting me know.
EGL

Post by EGL »

I really like the videos! Thanks for unlocking them. I am going to be changing the recoil spring and hammer spring. I ordered the spring packs for both recoil and hammer springs from Wolff.

What lb.rating is best to make the recoil easier? After changing it to lessen the recoil, will it be harder to rack the slide to chamber a round?

Also which hammer spring in the kit is best to make the double action trigger pull lighter? It is a beast right now.
I suspect that both the hammer spring and recoil spring make it harder to rack the slide too.

I sure do thank everyone for the great website on the P 64. I really like this gun! Any help is appreciated very much.
Again, you have made some great videos.
EGL
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I used a 20# recoil spring. It did reduce some of the felt recoil and slightly added a bit more force needed to rack the slide but not that much. I never paid attention to it anyway.

I liked the 17# mainspring. It really lowered the DA trigger pull. It did further lighten the SA trigger pull. Didn't seem unsafe by my standards. Most folks like the 18# as the minimum. For some folks the 17# would cause the magazine to pop out of the gun on the last round or so. I never experienced this but I can see some merit to it as the mainspring is also the spring that the magazine catch uses. The mainspring will have a slight effect on racking the slide but with the heavier recoil spring and lighter mainspring, it will likely even out and be about what you'd expect with the factory springs.

I hope the videos continue to help others (as long as they stay public and YouTube or Google+ don't screw with my settings). This board has been very helpful and folks are more professional here than pretty much any other board I've been to. Thanks for the comments.

Junius.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Junius

thank you

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
EGL

Post by EGL »

Junius

Thank you for the great information and prompt reply. I'll experiment some with these springs and see how they work for me. I think I read somewhere in this thread that there is some interaction with the firing pin spring after changing the main spring. I'll keep looking.
Thanks again.
EGL
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The recoil spring will come with a (40%) stronger firing pin spring. The idea is that the original firing pin spring is "worn" out and this extra power firing pin spring will help get the firing pin retracted into the slide faster so as to reduce the possibility of the firing pin snagging and dragging on the primer of the spent casing (leaving striation marks) which could cause a broken pin tip.

Some claim it's so the firing pin doesn't slam fire when the slide closes upon loading the next round from the magazine due to the heavier recoil spring. I don't think this one really holds any water. I asked a technician that question at Wolff Gunsprings just for kicks and he said it's not to prevent this, just to get the pin retracted into the slide faster upon firing / ejection.
EGL

Post by EGL »

Thank you Junius,
My other thought was that if the hammer spring is really strong, I would think that this would make the DA feature harder to pull the trigger in that mode. Mine feels gritty and takes a whole lot of finger power to fire in DA. Also my decock lever is hard to change from one position to the other. Is there some work one could do to make not so hard to use?

Your thoughts?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The lighter hammer spring will help the DA.

Check your decocker plunger to see if it is too pointy and it may have to be dressed up a bit.

If it looks OK there are some other past posts on the forum discussing this issue we can go back to..
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
EGL

Post by EGL »

Thanks Curly1. Good idea and I will check it out.
EGL