Made some videos

Info, pictures, advice...
Gary2112

Re: Made some videos

Post by Gary2112 »

Crimp the spring to the detent. it won't come off that way. The video didn't show that procedure, and I launched my detent several times before I got the safety re-assembled. I learned of the fix after the fact.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
nsnutter

Post by nsnutter »

Wow that's a great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that lol
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I have said it in several places on here to crimp the spring onto the little stud of the detent. There is a slight groove around the stud's circumference. However, being that folks comment often, my post about crimping springs gets lost. I will make an annotation to the video to crimp the spring. Thanks fellers!

This topic here I put very detailed pictures. - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4392 Check it out.

I have made annotations to the videos that deal with reinstalling the safety.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

I just wanted to thank Junius again for the great videos. I finally received some spare parts I ordered from Poland and although it was a bit of a struggle I finally repaired my gun (pending test firing to confirm that it actually shoots.)

I lost two springs in the process but managed to make a temporary one using a safety pin and luckily had ordered a back-up in my bundle. This was after I blew off my own decision to make a takedown box. Next time I will not take anything apart until I first have set up a nice box to work it in. They don't call them "springs" for nothing.

I would also recommend that anyone taking their gun apart using the videos also have a copy of the disassembly guide pdf handy. It had been three weeks since I disassembled the gun before the parts arrived, and I got confused with the plunger parts, which are tiny and tough to see clearly in the video, even at full screen.

Finally, I also managed to lose the tiny flathead screw that sits under the plunger retainer pin on the frame above the left grip. That slipped out when a sharp piece in the same bag poked a hole in it. After digging through a can of old screws I found one with matching threads and cut it down, but I will do my best to get the proper screw. If anyone knows a source please let me know. If I knew the exact specs on it I'm sure I can find one. And hopefully the lost parts will turn up in spring cleaning (no pun intended!)

Thanks again and I hope anyone planning to take their P-64 apart takes note of my careless moves and learns from them as I did. It's worth it to make a work box and store the pieces carefully.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I use a large freeezer bag to keep springs contained.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Wow! That was a good tutorial! I have been just usually using blast free to clean everything out, but with your video I would feel safe in replacing springs and such if I had to. I bought an extra spring set for mine, just in case. Also, I have seen the 20# recoil springs available - what is your take on them? I think the factory spring is 18# right? Anyways, good video.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks for your comment p64-1973. I do appreciate it. As far as the recoil spring goes, 18# is the factory specification. I do have a 20# recoil spring in mine and I have shot it both ways and I don't notice a whole lot of difference in recoil. The thing still beats the tar out of the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger. Some folks have said that they did notice a difference. It would totally be up to you but I don't see any benefit in spending the $11 or $12 after shipping and all, plus the time waiting for it to come in. You could buy a box of Bear ammo for that price. JMHO.
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

More thanks to you for taking the time to make the videos and share them with us. They really
give one confidence to get it done.

I am constantly amazed at what I am learning on this forum about these weapons we all seem
to gravitate to for some reason and I always come here and stroll through to see what I Have missed
or new posts that may have been of interest.

They say the teacher learns the most but I'm not sure about that as I am learning a lot.

Thanks again for sharing as it is appreciated by everyone I am sure.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

jonbw, thanks for the kind words. I am glad they are of value to you! It's a good thing to be able to take a handgun, rifle, or shotgun apart and work on it yourself. For one, it lets you understand how the pieces work together at the same time saving you some money from having to take it to a gunsmith to have it worked on. I just wanted to show people that it's not a daunting task to dis/reassemble the P-64, and it can be completed by most anyone that has the inclination to do so.
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

I have tinkered with my own firearms for years but when you have help as you do here it
makes it more fun and probably less mistakes as well.
I noticed the handloading section also. That another neglected by me but for years project
that I will gear up for later this fall. I made all my own balls for my flintlocks when I shot them
and it was fun. A lot of work but I enjoyed it so it was fun as is tuning the P-64. Springs are on
order.
4tsmith

Post by 4tsmith »

After seeing your videos I now officially feel like a bull in a china shop novice.

My first C&R purchase was a pawn shop P64 frame,slide and bag of parts for $75.
Even with Norms prolific past posts I wasn't prepared for the painful reassembly process.Reaaaally could have used these videos,but better late than never.

THANK YOU for your fine videos.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Nice job on the videos ...
"Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory,
nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds,
yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored."

Semper Fi
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks Gunny, I'm glad you like them.
wolfie999

Post by wolfie999 »

Great videos! Subbed!
:)
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

juniustaylor, thank you for taking the time and effrot to make these vidoes. I just purchased my first radom p 64 and I was quite skeptical. I don't like auto loaders to start with. I'm a retired LEO with 20+ years experience and I always carried a revolver, you can abuse it, maybe get a little slack on the cleaning, and even drop it in a mud puddle and still pick it up and use it. All the young guys had to have the SW's, Rugers, and my personal favorite (sarcasam) the Glock. I was and am all about safety and reliability and I'm sorry, if the safety is a lever in the center of the trigger, the gun HAS NO SAFETY, regardless what the salesman says. This little gun has the outside safety, can be carried with one in the chamber, with the safety on, and in my opinion, it's just as safe as a revolver, maybe more so. It's as accurate as it is dependable and will become my CCW once I finish tuning it up using the information that guys like you take the time and trouble to provide. Guys like you and the rest here are a blessing. Thank you again so much for your efforts.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.