Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
kragluver

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Post by kragluver »

After watching the online stores for quite some time, I finally found the Hornady Critical Defense ammo chambered in 9x18 Mak at Cheaper Than Dirt. Has anyone tried this ammo in their P64? I just ordered 4 boxes. I'll post what I learn...
Foo Bird

Re: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Post by Foo Bird »

What I've seen around the web for this ammo in general, is that it will expand upon a gnat's fart with regularity. Against barriers such as auto sheet metal, gypsum walls, etc.... not so much. So if you have a clean shot at your attacker, it will do what it's supposed to.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

If the Makarov is "close" to the 380 ACP offering it'll be decent.

Here's a disappointing test with the 380 that hit a "rib" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD4Z5hKg8zs

Hornadys own test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_QV0RVw ... r_embedded

About ten inches of penetration - not quite the FBI 12" but ok. The Makarov offering is probably similar.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

When I'm asked "What do you do with those mouse guns?" I usually say, "Repeat until the assault stops". It's not like self defense is a casual thing - you do it because it's the least harmful of the alternatives.

I have some CD in 9mm Makarov. I'll get around to shooting some after I replace the safety detent plunger that I launched across my livingroom to points unknown. Serve me right for not reading the instructions....
robalan

Post by robalan »

I am a big fan of Hornady Critical Defense and will be looking for it for my P64.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

Here is some testing on the round. Unfortunately no expansion test yet.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -grain-FTX

Here is a test of the .380 version which will probably be similar to the 9x18 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18
kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I was more wondering if anyone has tried it in their P64 yet. I have cycled a couple of magazines worth through mine by hand but have yet to shoot it. The cone nose shape "should" feed very reliably. As for the penetration and expansion tests, the CD ammo is right up there. I wish Cor-Bon would also offer 9x18 in their DPX series. It performs very well in my wife's Bersa 380.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

I think CorBon used to make 9mm makarov ammo, but they discontinued it for some reason. I heard it was some of the best 9x18 defense ammo out there.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I've tried Hornady CD in my P-64. Accuracy was comparable to Silver Bear. No failures to feed. No misfires.

Gene
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

mattwestm wrote:I think CorBon used to make 9mm makarov ammo, but they discontinued it for some reason. I heard it was some of the best 9x18 defense ammo out there.
Midway offers the Glaser round and two kinds of HPs from Hornady, including CD, in 9x18mm. At the time of this posting the Glaser Saf-T slug and CD were in stock at Midway.

Midway also offers Buffalo Bore. Many reviewers said that recoil for Buffalo Bore was "stout" in a Makarov. I wouldn't put any into a P-64. Pain be either by weakness leaving or exiting the body, and in the case of "stout recoil" I go with the latter interpretation.

Gene