Questions from a new P-64 owner

Info, pictures, advice...
yourfns

Questions from a new P-64 owner

Post by yourfns »

Hello all,
Great site. I just bought a P-64 from J&G. I stopped on the drive home and ran 50 rounds through it and it worked fine.
I bought the Wolff recoil and firing pin spring and haven't installed them yet. I got the 22# recoil spring but after doing some research I'm thinking it might be too heavy.
What seems to be the consensus on which springs to use for recoil and hammer. I like to use Brown and Silver bear ammo. B.T.W. the firing pin spring looks like a tricky install but good instructions on this site.
Thank you in advance and I'm happy to be a new member
robalan

Re: Questions from a new P-64 owner

Post by robalan »

There are a lot of people that have made changes to their P-64. I have several of them and have not made any alterations. It shoots well with all the ammo I have put in it. For most of my practice I just use whatever I can find. For defense I have it loaded with Silver Bear HP. I recently purchased a Ruger LC9 which I plan to carry most of the time. It is much the same size at the P-64. My thought is the cheap ammo practice and snap cap firing on my P-64 should help me shoot the Ruger. Time will tell if that works out or not. :-)
Last edited by robalan on July 17th, 2011, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

yourfns wrote: What seems to be the consensus on which springs to use for recoil and hammer.

I don't think there is a consensus. Some can't tolerate the stiff DA and change the spring and some don't. Not sure if changing the recoil makes much difference.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Average opinion on the hammer spring is somewhere around 18 or 19#. I personally use a 17# and love it. I don't have the problem with the magazine falling out upon the last shot as some folks do. No light strikes either, even with my bobbed hammer. It's really personal preference. On the recoil spring, it's a huge waste of money, don't even bother. The minuscule amount of decrease in recoil isn't worth the price of the spring.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

I've been perfectly happy keeping all of mine factory stock. I don't fire them double action at the range, and if I ever did have to use one in a self-defense situation, I wouldn't notice that DA trigger pull at all.
Black Otter

Post by Black Otter »

Double Tap is right; if used in a self-defense situation I feel the hard double-action pull would not be noticed. I put the 17# Wolfe hammer spring in my P-64 and have no problems. To me changing the recoil spring is a waste of time. But, everyone is entitled to their own ideas.
Black Otter
yourfns

Post by yourfns »

Thanks to all of you. I think I will keep it factory stock since it works fine. Maybe I will buy some extra parts just in case I ever need them. I see that they're low priced on Buymilsurp.com
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

yourfns wrote: I see that they're low priced on Buymilsurp.com
Hmmm, I didn't realize Mark Kubes had expanded his inventory. He's on;y a few minutes from where I live.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

All I saw on there was springs. No real "parts" for the P-64, am I looking at the wrong spot on buymilsurp.com?
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
yourfns

Post by yourfns »

Yes just springs. GB has parts.