My first p64

Info, pictures, advice...
Black Otter

My first p64

Post by Black Otter »

I am new at this posting thing, so bear with me. I have over 50 years shooting experience, am an NRA life member,NMLRA member, NRA Pistol instructor, and CCW instructor. Have taught marksmanship and instructed in black-powder shooting. Enough about me.
I bought my first P64 about 3 weeks ago at a local gunshop. They sold it as a Makarov. I did not know there was such a thing as a P64. I paid $189 for the pistol. It is a 1970 model. My opinion is that this pistol had never been fired. There is absolutely no wear on the bluing. Absolutely no marks on the feed ramp. The serrations on the slide are perfect. The bore looks brand new. I am pretty sure it had never been fired.
At home I put up a 6" bullseye at 7 yards. Firing single-action five shots one-handed off a sandbag all were in the black at 12 o'clock. Next five shots single-action standing shooting off-hand with one hand was the same. Both groups were just a tad high which would be right. Amazing accuracy and amazing single-action trigger pull. As expected the double action pull leaves a lot to be desired. I have ordered the Wolff hammer spring set. Also, my magazine is numbered the same as the pistol.
Reading the P64 Resource site has been fun and very informative. You guys do an amazing job. I appreciate your work and the info.
Thanks a lot.
Black Otter
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: My first p64

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome Black Otter! It's a pistol that takes a little getting used to, but once you do they do impress for sure.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Welcome Black Otter. I purchased my P-64 (1973) two years ago and after some fine tuning with Wolff springs, it has become my primary OC/CC for daily wear in Tucson. It has also traveled cross country with me on the GW.

IMHO, the Polish P-64 is the "best-bang-for-the-buck" in the world of firearms.

BTW, Hornaday now produces Critical Defense ammo in 9x18 Makarov.
dom

Post by dom »

Welcome to the forum :hi:
VG price on your pistol, especially in like new/unissued condition. The accuracy of these little pistols surprises most folks, myself included. I used mine last fall for my concealed license renewal and still can't belive i shot as well as i did.
With all your years of experience, i for one welcome your thoughts on the P-64 as a concealed carry weapon.
I'll concur with gw, from a quality and value pov, i don't see a better deal. Although the CZ-82 comes in a very close second.
BTW- The bores are chrome lined, and with just a little care should always look like new.
Black Otter

Post by Black Otter »

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I am really impressed with the P64. I was looking for a small secondary carry gun while my Airweight Bodyguard was getting a trigger job. The P64 will make an excellent CCW gun. Lightening the D/A pull will help with that first shoot if needed. I am used to cocking the hammer for the first shoot beacause of my 1911's. The P64 is almost more comfortable to carry than my S&W. Corbon Power-ball and Glaser Safety-slugs are supposed to be available also. If the P64 is carried with a round in the chamber the safety should always be on. Otherwise, there is nothing to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin. The only other safe way is to have the chamber empty and to jack the slide for the first round.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Carry it however you wish, it is a great little pistole to have and to hold. But you will find out that one is not enough. Ask anyone, they will tell you. Oh! Welcome to the Forum.
benheart

Post by benheart »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3994

Welcome! Feel free to vote your conscience! (...and discuss your reasons why!) For me..... one in the chamber, safety off. I also noticed that you mentioned cocking a 1911 before firing. I carried a 1911 for years in what is commonly known as "condition one" (a.k.a. cocked & locked) with no safety issues, so I'm wondering if your preference would be different than mine. Looking forward to reading your opinions. Again, WELCOME!