P-64 as a firearm for SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI/zombie apocalypse.

Info, pictures, advice...
Bird

P-64 as a firearm for SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI/zombie apocalypse.

Post by Bird »

Anyone ever discuss this here? Haha... Hypothetical, of course. Nothing bad will ever happen.

:wink:

But yeah, the only thing I think it has going against it is limited availability of ammo after the s#!+ hits the fan. 9x18 is nowhere near as common as something like 9x19. I thought about getting a C9 just to have something in 9x19.

(SIGH)

Well, just thinkin' out loud. I have a '68 & a '69 that are dying to get some bang time in. ASAP. Some holster wear. What is my best solution for re-bluing? I think about rust down the road. I think too much...

Peace,
Bird
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64 as a firearm for SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI/zombie apocaly

Post by juniustaylor »

I have a C9. Shoots okay and does what it's supposed to. Don't have any problems with it really. 9x19 is definitely more available.

As for bluing. Grab some of the Birchwood-Casey cold blue or if you can find it locally Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Either of those will work well, just follow the instructions on the bottle. For the most part, it will blend it and you don't have to do anything special other than go around the worn area until it darkens up to match the rest.

Welcome.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Bird

Post by Bird »

Thanks for the bluing info.

Dug up an interesting set of opinions on another forum. The original post in this thread sums up some thoughts I had about post-SHTF ammo availability... http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-survi ... -long.html ...Nice to see some of my own thoughts echoed. Basically, If you're caught in an SHTF situation, the ammo you have is probably what you will have – regardless of caliber.

With that in mind, the P-64 seems like a great choice for a post-apocalyptic sidearm, eh? Built like a tank, powerful enough to get the job done while remaining concealable AND very accurate. Yup.

If one is defending a fixed position, they can always trim 9x19 brass and reload. I'm not counting on staying fixed for very long since I live in a townhouse right now, but if I settle on the family land down south, I will consider reloading gear.

I think my pair will serve me nicely in the brave new world. 8)
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Realistically, if things get bad enough to where you find yourself in an all out shooting match, resupply probably isn’t going to be a long-term issue for you. Or a short-term issue. Chances are you won't be bothered by any such issues ever again. Now if you're smart enough to get the heck out of dodge beforehand, then you're likely going to have whatever you can carry. You may run across some ammo along the way, but I wouldn't count on it. And so far as this reoccurring Internet fantasy I see about restocking an AR or something courtesy of hapless National Guardsmen - yeah, good luck with that.

So yeah, a nice sidearm for personal protection, and a good .22 rifle would be my picks. A bigger rifle and ammo would mostly be dead weight.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

With proper amunition the 9x18 pistol will produce 38sp.+P power levels. Corbon advertises thier new 9x18 ammunition will penetrate four layers of denim material and nine inches of balistic jell with out exceeding chamber and barrel preasure levels for the 9x18 cartridge. I'm not a large man and that would pass right through my upper chest cavity. Soviet block allies new this and that is why the cartridge is still in use in thier world. Granted it is being replaced by the 9x19 cartridge there also, but it will be many years before it is fased out totally. Point in fact, the 9x18 cartridge is outlawed in many European countrys where it is only legal for the public to own pistoles in the 9x17/9mm Corto/9mm Kurtz/9mm short/380acp/ 9mm browning short cartridge.
The 9x18 cartridge also offers superior control and accuracy over the 9x19 cartridge for the average gun owner which makes him or her a dangerous threat in a gun fight. A well placed shot from a 9x18 will stop a fight, a poorly placed shot from a 9x19 has been known to leak people off to the point of irritation and aggravate them into further action with predictable results.
We will all agree that bigger is better in gun calibers, but a man or woman armed and well trained with a 9x18 pistol would be adiquatly equiped for thier enviroment in my opinion.
GR
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Most of those countries outlaw the caliber that their military uses, which is what forces the civilian market to the less common calibers (ie, 9x17). I like the 9x18, but I favor the .45. I'd also opt for a 9x19 or .40 over the 9x18 if given the choice. Still, the op was wondering about the P64 for this hypothetical situation and I say nay - there are considerably better choices for a sidearm in this scenario. While the P64 is a solid little pistol with all of the attributes you listed, it fails in other area that could be a of grave importance (how'd you like to break your firing pin or safety when the swarm of zombies approach?).

In my opinion, a rifle is a much better firearm to defend with (the shotgun seems too cliche for zombies, no?).
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Point well taken regarding the breaking parts on the P64, I can attest to the fact that broken parts do happen on even the best of fire arms.
GR
Bird

Post by Bird »

Didn't know breaking parts were so common on the P-64, or were you merely saying that replacement parts don't exist for the P-64?

My insurance policy was to buy two and consider it one with a set of spare parts. But yeah, I am tempted to get something more modern if possible. On a tight budget and I fear I may regret trading part of my small collection to buy a more modern handgun.
vorakam

Post by vorakam »

Guns break...old and new! A close family member regularly scoffs at my 9x18 collection but recently had his modern .40 self destruct. (not naming brands but it starts with T and ends with S). My brother recently had his new .22 stop working during the first 300 rounds. (not naming brands but it starts with S and ends in N with an & in the middle!). Go figure. I suppose the only advantage is that these modern firearms have lifetime warranties, but that wont help if the SHTF. If you are worried about your p64 breaking....buy a spare !
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

When it comes to Zombie Time, I guess my approach is a little more direct (35 years of military training).

First - if you own a lot of 9x18 shootin' stuff, stock ammo. I get 1000 rounds of Brown Bear for $200 delivered to my door (Gun Deals.com). So - once a quarter I buy a 1000 rounds.

Second - Own more than one gun - I have more than one and less than one hundred.

Third - When a Zombie is neutralized you take his stuff. His chow, his guns and ammo.

Fourth - Most Zombie encounters will happen at close range. All that target practice and "groupings" don't mean much when the thing you are shooting at is coming at you and returning fire. Shoot at center mass and keep pulling the trigger until the threat stops. This is why you carry more than one gun - it's quicker than reloading in a tactical situation.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

IMHO, it's easier to just let them kill you. Then you're dead and you don't have to worry about defending yourself. :P LOL!!!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OUCH! :lol:
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

Gosh Junius I forgot - most Air Force guys carry golf clubs - so would you use a driver or an iron on that zombie?
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Third - When a Zombie is neutralized you take his stuff. His chow, his guns and ammo.
I thought Zombies ate brains? I think I'd pass on taking his chow! :shock:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

irish, LOL!!! :lol: Never took a liking for golf.