"Helpful" advice.

Info, pictures, advice...
lklawson

"Helpful" advice.

Post by lklawson »

So there I was at the local range, shooting with my son, brother, and my dad (who's visiting us over vacation - working in CA).

I'm punching paper with my CZ82 and my P64 when the Range Master on duty comes and asks "Who's shooting the Wolf ammo?" (Well, it's Brown Bear, but whatever.) So I'm wondering if they're pissed off at the steel cases they're sweeping up or if there's some sort of new policy against steel cases, etc. (They typically sweep the brass up and recycle it into reloads for in-store sales - a habit which angers one other local shooter because they're sweeping up his brass and he reloads.)

So, I man-up and admit that it's mine. Then the gent offers some "helpful" advice: "You know that that will wear out your gun faster." I explain to him that I'm shooting "commie guns" and they're designed for steel cases, unlike most American or Euro guns which the steel cases can break the extractors and the like. He tries it again and I tell him the same thing... again. "Well, it's your gun," he says and goes back to sweeping up other people's brass and maintaining range safety (which must be pretty boring, to be honest).

:P

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
fish

Re: "Helpful" advice.

Post by fish »

Vandalia?
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

fish wrote:Vandalia?
Exactly.

I generally have good experiences there and like the folks running it. But, this one gentleman is, perhaps, just a bit TOO helpful. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
fish

Post by fish »

Had a membership there, let it lapse about a year ago. Friendly atmosphere and safety conscious, almost the exact opposite of the death trap known at "Target World" down in Cincy. I'll probably re-up my VRA membership again in the fall, for the meantime just paying by the hour.

Never really had a problem picking up my brass there. I usually let the range master know I pick up my empties. Got barked at once, they were just making sure I was only picking up my own and nobody else's. Yeah, OK, suuuuure.....

There was one guy in particular that I recall (Brett??) who was very vocal about Brown Bear and Wolf beating the hell out of your gun and leaving lacquer behind in the chamber. He was otherwise a friendly and fantastic range master but always gave me crap about Brown Bear in my Glock 19. I always thanked him and acted like I had no idea it was so bad for my gun, let him think he did me a big favor. "I'll finish this box and never buy this crap again!!!".

There is another range master, older, wider, with a gruff demeanor, who tends to be 'helpful' about Brown Bear and Wolf as well. Again, act like I have no idea and thank profusely. On a couple of occasions he has swept brass my way when he sees me picking up.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

fish wrote:Had a membership there, let it lapse about a year ago. Friendly atmosphere and safety conscious, almost the exact opposite of the death trap known at "Target World" down in Cincy. I'll probably re-up my VRA membership again in the fall, for the meantime just paying by the hour.
Yeah. Like I said, I like VRA and have had good experiences with them.
Never really had a problem picking up my brass there. I usually let the range master know I pick up my empties. Got barked at once, they were just making sure I was only picking up my own and nobody else's. Yeah, OK, suuuuure.....
I usually just let them have my brass because I don't reload. But the last three times I picked up my brass because a friend of mine does reload.
There was one guy in particular that I recall (Brett??) who was very vocal about Brown Bear and Wolf beating the hell out of your gun and leaving lacquer behind in the chamber. He was otherwise a friendly and fantastic range master but always gave me crap about Brown Bear in my Glock 19. I always thanked him and acted like I had no idea it was so bad for my gun, let him think he did me a big favor. "I'll finish this box and never buy this crap again!!!".
Well, I'll say this for it, it's dirty and the lacquer (I assume) stinks to high heaven. But it's accurate ammo and cheap. I won't run steel cased ammo in my American/Euro guns because I believe that the firearms, particularly the extractor, aren't designed with steel in mind and steel cases have been associated with premature wear of these parts. But have you compared the extractor on the P64 to some of the other western designed pistols? Wow.
There is another range master, older, wider, with a gruff demeanor, who tends to be 'helpful' about Brown Bear and Wolf as well. Again, act like I have no idea and thank profusely. On a couple of occasions he has swept brass my way when he sees me picking up.
This gentleman here. Seems he has a habit of giving advice. While I was there I overheard him giving grip advice to a new shooter (lady) to prevent slide bite. I don't know if it was unsolicited or not. I do know that a year or so earlier I was shooting there with my brother and I was throwing some pre-Clinton ban Norinco 9mm (brass) downrange and he advised me, through my brother, that it was "very dirty" ammo. Well, that may be true, but, honestly, who cares? Cleanup is easy with modern cleaners and I'm not going to be using it in a firefight or shooting without cleaning afterward so what's the big deal?

I honestly believe that he's just bored and trying to be helpful. It only annoyed me a little bit and mostly because his resigned comment was "well, it's your gun" instead of "yeah, commie guns are designed with steel cases in mind." I can see a helpful warning about wear, I'm willing to learn, but is he?

I dunno. He's nice enough and wasn't a wang. Seems to make a decent Range Master. So, no harm, no foul I guess.

I just wonder how often his alienates folks with his helpful advice. I mean, shooting sports are male dominated and it's not as if men are especially well known for being grateful for unsolicited advice. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Never shot there, although I've been there quite a few times. Everyone there seems pretty nice.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

DoubleTap wrote:Never shot there, although I've been there quite a few times. Everyone there seems pretty nice.
I like them there. Their prices aren't always the lowest around but they have good customer service and a gunsmith that works for them.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Personally I won't shoot Wolf ammo in my P-64's, the Makarov's can handle it well enough though, of all the Russian ammo Wolf is comparable to floor sweep ammo, I only shoot it my Norinco SKS. Brown and Silver Bear I used awhile back but after I bought a large order from AIM back 4 years ago of 9x18 Mesko [Polish] and MFS [Hungarian] from I believe from [SOG] about the same time I have plenty for the time being, I do prefer brass cased ammo over the steel cased with my P-64, just my personal choice.
birddog

Post by birddog »

Shot at Vandalia a couple times to check out a new purchase. It jammed quite a bit and I turned it over to them to fix. They did a great job, over a year later and an unk # of round downrange with no problems. I have stopped shooting there since getting CCP at MV Shooting Range off Old Troy. A much more relaxed atmosphere, cheaper, and no problems with picking up brass. Besides reloading for my 9x19s I trim them down, resize, and reload for my 9mm Maks. It's a bit of a pain remaking for the Maks but us retirees have nothing but time? Wrong, but good for rainy day killing. If I can't ride I reload. I do stop by Vandalia now and then. They have some good selections which is sorely lacking at MVSG.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

birddog wrote:Shot at Vandalia a couple times to check out a new purchase. It jammed quite a bit and I turned it over to them to fix. They did a great job, over a year later and an unk # of round downrange with no problems. I have stopped shooting there since getting CCP at MV Shooting Range off Old Troy. A much more relaxed atmosphere, cheaper, and no problems with picking up brass. Besides reloading for my 9x19s I trim them down, resize, and reload for my 9mm Maks. It's a bit of a pain remaking for the Maks but us retirees have nothing but time? Wrong, but good for rainy day killing. If I can't ride I reload. I do stop by Vandalia now and then. They have some good selections which is sorely lacking at MVSG.
I got my CHL training at MVSG and have shot there a few times besides that.

Their outdoor range is fine but I hate having to wait for the range master to call cold. Just impatient I guess. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

When someone accuses you of owning a "Commie Gun" gently remind them that there is no communist flag flying over your home. And the fact that we in the capitalist free world are now holding our former communist antagonists' firearms is the ultimate in irony and is testament to just how superior capitalism is. Also remind him its sage policy to study the firearms of your enemy and so much fun to wind up with them while they went broke.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Makarov- wrote:When someone accuses you of owning a "Commie Gun" gently remind them that there is no communist flag flying over your home.
Truth to be told, I am the one who used the term "Commie Gun" to (attempt to) specifically communicate that the gun was designed and manufactured by Communists to use Communist produced (steel cased) ammunition.

As for whether or not the U.S. is communist, I'll leave political discussions for another forum. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

My bad I thought the guy was giving you a hard time about your pistols origin because the primers irritated him. No the US is not communist, not yet anyway and you're right another forum is more appropriate for that.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.