field stripping a bear

Info, pictures, advice...
lklawson

Re: field stripping a bear

Post by lklawson »

Legally Armed wrote:I don't know why this is happening, but I can tell you that I have a Bulgarian Makarov that is a bear to get back together. It comes apart easy, but it takes a good 20-30 tries to go back together. My PA-63 and P-83's all come apart and go back together easy as pie.
No idea either. But it's nice to know I'm not alone. ;)

I checked the serial numbers. They're definitely matching. So it's not a "Frankengun" The little monster is in good condition. Strong and bright rifling and only a little holster wear. Heck the "edge" of the trigger still feels sharp. Might have to stone it or something.

I absolutely hate the grips though (and I haven't even shot the beast yet). They don't mate evenly on the backstrap. This will not make shooting it more pleasant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Well, after shooting yesterday, I used a 2x4 to press the slide against and it came off much easier. Still couldn't do it by hand like I can with my 4 other Mak caliber pistols but at least I didn't have to fight with it for 30 min. Back on was also harder than it should have been. I force the slide back and then was able to wiggle it until it got "caught" locked back but not fully mated to the slide. A little bit more work and it "clicked" down and mated on. 2 min. to get it off, 5 to get it back on. Much better. Still not "right" imo, but acceptable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

I would consider sqauring off the ends of the recoil sping and checking for that pin on the frame.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Are the any cracks in the frame or slide?
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

surfzombie wrote:Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Are the any cracks in the frame or slide?
No, I haven't really figured it out. There doesn't appear to be any defects or damage. The pistol looks to have had very few rounds put through it so, for now, I'm using the operating theory that the assembly/disassembly mechanism simply needs more breaking in.

It may not be a good theory, but is a theory. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

OK, I've had the pistol apart and back together again several times now. I still use a 2x4 to brace against the slide because of the heavier than normal recoil spring but it does come apart comparatively easy now.

Going back together is still a bit of a challenge. It still seems to get "hung up" on the slide notches (I assume) but I can now wiggle it just a bit and it will "snick" into place and mate up.

I am officially attributing the issue to "break in"/"wear in" issues which are slowly resolving themselves.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Also be sure that the slidestop lever is properly aligned and isn't helping to bind everything during reassembly. By your last description, it seems as if the little lug area might be a tad proud. Still, I'd agree with you that it's likely just breaking in.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

dfunk wrote:Also be sure that the slidestop lever is properly aligned and isn't helping to bind everything during reassembly. By your last description, it seems as if the little lug area might be a tad proud.
Good advice. I'll dbl chk that. Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

Makarovs are generally painfully easy to strip and reassemble. Sometimes the trigger guard bounces back up while a Mak is dissassembled and it will make reassembly MUCH harder. Just make sure the TG is pulled back down and slightly to the side again and it should reassemble much easier.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Makarov- wrote:Makarovs are generally painfully easy to strip and reassemble. Sometimes the trigger guard bounces back up while a Mak is dissassembled and it will make reassembly MUCH harder. Just make sure the TG is pulled back down and slightly to the side again and it should reassemble much easier.
Thanks. I'm quite familiar with Makarovs. The first auto-loading handgun I ever bought for myself was a (now somewhat rare) Chinese Makarov. My experience with the ease of field stripping Makarovs, PA-63, etc. is part of what is confounding about stripping my P64. Despite having an identical field-strip procedure, the P64 is a bear while the others are easy as pie.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
fish

Post by fish »

See this youtube video at 8:20 - this was an epiphany for me in re-assembly!

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenagantma ... 9xu7rch-pE

The slide stop lever likes to work its way down and out to where the slide binds on it during re-assembly. This video does an excellent job of explaining it.
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

I wish I could even find a Norinco Makarov for sale they seem to have dried up.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.