Interest in a new manufacture safety?

Info, pictures, advice...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interest in a new manufacture safety?

Post by dfunk »

Fellas,
I have a lead for having new safeties machined but have to provide a decent estimate on interest of these parts. As this is the most common part to fail on these little guys, I figure it wouldn't be hard to peak some interest, but I may have to have them machined in batches of 100 and I don't need them laying around. Thoughts? Concerns? Fair price? What say you?
electross

Re: Interest in a new manufacture safety?

Post by electross »

I would be interested. How much would to much be? I payed 165.00 for a P64. Forty percent would be 66.00. Don't think I would go that high. I would probably sell the handgun for parts. I have been contemplating buying a second P64 just to have in the event one breaks. Maybe 25.00? I don't have a clue as to what it takes to manufacture the part.
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I did some checking in the Norfolk Va area with a few local machine shops - the cost was crazy. If you can get them for under $100 a piece you're doing GREAT.
vorakam

Post by vorakam »

I agree with Irish. It would be pretty tough getting the price down to something reasonable. ( I define reasonable as 15-20 bucks.) Buying a spare and parting the pieces out makes much more sense !
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

There is a seller on gunbroker.com that usually has them listed for $40. My thoughts were. Maybe we should put together a group buy and get them directly from Poland. There is another seller on GB that is selling P83 parts and they in fact come from Poland. We should contact him and see it that is a possibility..
fish

Post by fish »

I'd go $35 or so just to have a spare lying around....
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

I bought 2 saftey and firing pin sets from the Polish connection on GB. I figure that I'll just stick them in a drawer and hope I never need them. I own 2 P64's and they are, by far, my favorite carry piece. I would not want to become accustomed to these as a defensive weapon if I thought that I'd have to send them to the graveyard for lack of parts.

That being said, I was very pleased with the quality of the parts I purchased - they appeared to be unissued spares.
P-64Dave

Post by P-64Dave »

Well, while the costs of these proposed parts seems high, one has to take into account liability insurance by the manufacturer, tooling costs or casting dies to be fabricated, and so forth.

The thing to keep in mind, sadly, is that quality like 1911 parts cannot be had for much under $40 even after decades of manufacture, so running small batches of 100 cannot amortize the expense of having them built from scratch. One might think that a really good CNC machine shop that is pro-gun would pick up the ball, but there are intangible hard costs involved.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

P-64Dave wrote:Well, while the costs of these proposed parts seems high, one has to take into account liability insurance by the manufacturer, tooling costs or casting dies to be fabricated, and so forth.

The thing to keep in mind, sadly, is that quality like 1911 parts cannot be had for much under $40 even after decades of manufacture, so running small batches of 100 cannot amortize the expense of having them built from scratch. One might think that a really good CNC machine shop that is pro-gun would pick up the ball, but there are intangible hard costs involved.
Good point. He has a safety from one of my guns and will likely get back to me this week with a verdict and an estimate of cost and material options.
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

How about firing pins?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Okay, how about them? What would you pay? How much interest is there in this part? I have no problem dropping off a fp for him to estimate, as well. I think the only caveat to these new parts, is that much like 1911 parts, some may have to be fit to the gun they're going in. As we know, one pistol can differ from another slightly dimensionally.
electross

Post by electross »

Its kinda like the safety, we all know machined parts are expensive when done in a small quantity. I would go about 25.00 tops for a new firing pin. I only paid 165.00 for the handgun. If they can produce a usable part for that, I'm in.
jobot

Post by jobot »

I would like to know roughly what your total cost will be to have 100 safeties made. Maybe it is time to start selling them on the main page.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

jobot wrote:I would like to know roughly what your total cost will be to have 100 safeties made. Maybe it is time to start selling them on the main page.
Me too. I should have that information by the end of the week. Provided there is some wiggle room, I would do just that.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Well I have bad news...
As others have found, the safety would cost way too much to get the tooling set up for a run. That pretty much exhausts options from my side for a new safety. My source can build one, but the cost might be $70 - $100.

Regarding the firing pin:
He has it now and will return an estimate. I asked to be quoted a price for steel and titanium. I'll update this thread as soon as I hear any word.