JHP Ammo & Glasers

Info, pictures, advice...
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

2 questions:
1-I am having a hard time finding JHP ammo for the P-64. Any ideas on where to order some stuff that will shoot reliably and well in the P-64?

2-Has anyone tried shooting 9x18 Glaser from the P-64?
novgarod

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by novgarod »

Other 9x18 shooters have also mentioned difficulties in getting certain ammo.

May I suggest you do a search on the Makarov Forum for a 10-24-05 posting by VonAlt in which he lists 29 different brands by the following: Manufacturer, Part#, Vendor, Type, Cost, Cost/Rd, status (in-stock?). You can import all his data into a spreadsheet since the above text fields are separated by commas. I do not think it appropriate to just download all his fine work on the P64 forum, but if you do any updating and/or add fields, such a listing would be appreciated by all of us. I hope our moderator feels the same way.

Just wondering, why the interest in Glasers? One posting I found stated the Glaser failed to feed from the P-64 mag, but the author didn't like the pistol in general. Based upon the growing good reliability reports for the P-64, I cannot imagine why the Glaser cartridge would not also feed, can you?
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

The only defense ammo for Makarov I could find after a brief web search was the blue Glaser round. I am keeping an eye out and will probably search again tonight.
raypol

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by raypol »

The only defense ammo for Makarov I could find after a brief web search was the blue Glaser round. I am keeping an eye out and will probably search again tonight.
Hornady JHP/XTP works beautifully in the P64. I buy it at the range shop. About $12 for 20 rds. Not for plinking but a good defese round.

jpb
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

I've looked all over for the Hornady stuff. Lots of folks have it on their web site but everyone seemed to be out of stock.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by dfunk »

I've looked all over for the Hornady stuff. Lots of folks have it on their web site but everyone seemed to be out of stock.
Keep looking. From what I've gathered, the Glaser rounds aren't all they're cracked up to be and the Hornady's are extremely good in this particular little gun.
b52stan

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by b52stan »

I think what Fiocci labels 90 gr FMJHP is probably better than the Hornady. About 100 fps faster, but discontinued. If you see it in a shop, the 50 rd box is a winner. Here's a link for the best Russian FMJ at $5.75/box. Bernaul has been making ammo for 100 yrs. Their 95 gr HP is also great.
For what it's worth, a lot of the MAK guys say that fast 9X18 hardball(FMJ) is better for carry, because of penetration.
Stan
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|477
Last edited by b52stan on December 4th, 2005, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

Unfortunately, they're out of the HP too! :-(
raypol

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by raypol »

I think what Fiocci labels 90 gr FMJHP is probably better than the Hornady. About 100 fps faster, but discontinued. If you see it in a shop, the 50 rd box is a winner. Here's a link for the best Russian FMJ at $5.75/box. Bernaul has been making ammo for 100 yrs. Their 95 gr HP is also great.
For what it's worth, a lot of the MAK guys say that fast 9X18 hardball(FMJ) is better for carry, because of penetration.
Stan
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|477
Doesn't do much good to recommend a discontinued round. I read these posts about which round is faster, penetrates better etc.. What you need is a round that will load and fire. 100 fps can't be reliably measured and apply to all circumstances. Gun type, temperature, humidity tolerances between rounds etc. Penetration in balistic gel, wet newspapers, jugs of water is not relative to human body, summer clothes, winter clothes, no jacket, bare skin etc. All those who would rather be shot with a 100 fps slower bullet raise their hands. Get a round that is works the best in you gun.

jpb
b52stan

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by b52stan »

Having a bad day, Bill?
Have you found any good 9X18 that doesn't work in your gun? And many people don't mail order ammo, and check shop shelves instead. As a matter of fact, I found another box of discontinued Fiochhi JHP Friday.

And about all the the jugs, gelatin, temperature, clothing, blah blah blah, I know all about that stuff. The only use most of us plan for this gun is a double or triple tap at close range, if we feel justified to do so, and we won't be asking what they're wearing or how cold it is.

And yes, I believe the chronographed MAK data on most 9X18 ammo I posted here a while back, and will always choose the extra 100 fps, and the energy that goes with it. That's precisely why I bought a 9X18 over a 380.

Anyway, sorry you didn't like my post, and hope your day goes better.
B52 Stan
Last edited by b52stan on December 4th, 2005, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amd6547

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by amd6547 »

The Hornady is good ammo, but could be a little hotter, and a little cheaper. I hate buying ammo in quantities less than 50 rounds.
I have no problem carrying fmj for self defence, and often use either S&B or Fiocchi.
As the rest of you guys should know by now, I also like Silver Bear 115gn jhps.
Back to Hornady, In my CZ82, it was the most accurate ammo I tried. In the P64, it is an easy to shoot, low recoiling round in comparison to Silver Bear 115's, but I like max bullet weight/velocity, and I have read some interesting tests on another board that showed some impressive penetration and expansion results for the Silver Bear.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
saands

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by saands »

I've been loading my own 95 gr XTPHP ammo with VihtaVuori N350 powder and running the velocities at around 1175fps (290 ft-lbs). It is a little warm, but I only use new brass and don't bother to pick it up. This is not my plinking ammo, but I've shot enough to know that it is reliable in the P64. When a wild dog (large lab-sized mutt) needed dispatching on the ranch, one of these rounds was tested and surprisingly, there was no exit wound on a chest shot from the side. I would have expected differently, but I don't think that over-penetration is a problem and I'm starting to wonder if under-penetration might be, even when loaded warmly.

Saands
metzgeri

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by metzgeri »

Brown Bear is offered in a bi-metal JHP. http://www.ammunitionstore.com/ has it for about $50 per 500. Brown Bear is, after all, Ruskie made, East Block tested!!

Metzgeri
Last edited by metzgeri on December 8th, 2005, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinnie

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by vinnie »

II would have expected differently, but I don't think that over-penetration is a problem and I'm starting to wonder if under-penetration might be, even when loaded warmly.

Saands
I wouldn't think so with xtp. Did it anchor the animal?
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

I think this is the penetration article referenced above:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Comp ... rovetc.htm