JHP Ammo & Glasers

Info, pictures, advice...
cyouther

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by cyouther »

Brown Bear is offered in a bi-metal JHP. http://www.ammunitionstore.com/ has it for about $50 per 500. Brown Bear is, after all, Ruskie made, East Block tested!!

Metzgeri
I'm about 200 rounds into a case of this stuff and have found that it has visually detectable low quality control (differing sized points), tends to jam, and fouls the piece much more than I've seen with other rounds. Once it's shot up, I don't plan to buy any more.
Last edited by cyouther on December 9th, 2005, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

I've shot some Wolf and Barnaul ammo. The flash from the unburned powder is incredible! Not for shooting at night!
xelloss

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by xelloss »

Barnaul usually has the best QC out of any of the russian brands... From what I've read and seen, the Silver Bear tends to expand the best of the Russkie HP ammo... I've still got one box of the old Cor-Bon 9mm Mak ammo they used to make... Great stuff, if you can find it...

-Mark
saands

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by saands »

Yes ... dog anchored like an oil rig ... I just expected an exit.

Saands
mongo

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mongo »

www.reedsammo.com

Ron is a great guy to deal with.

Top notch ammo. not cheap so don't bitch but you can get the nickle cased silverbear 115gs there.
amd6547

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by amd6547 »

At the Medina Ohio gun show last weekend, Silver Bear 115's were $6.95/50, Fiocchi FMJ was $7.95/50.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
mikethewreck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mikethewreck »

How is the 115gr Silver Bear TMJ stuff? Better than the Barnaul and Wolf for target shooting? How does it compare with S & B?
mongo

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mongo »

the 115 silverbear is like NATO 9mm or standard .38spl

pretty freakin hot.
garrybuck

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by garrybuck »

These guys say they have the Barnaul hollowpoints:

http://www.empirearms.com/

I haven't tried it in my P64, so I don't know how well it works.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by abwehr »

garrybuck,

Thanks for posting this information. I have a gun show this weekend and if I don't find any there, I will order some from Empire Arms. I wonder why this is not a common round since many folks carry the Mak as a CCW?
jimturner2006

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by jimturner2006 »

I have a P-64 and it will not feed the Hornady XTP JHP.The gun is totally reliable with all FMJ 9x18.I have got 4 factory mags and none will feed hollowpoints.Has anyone had trouble with hollowpoints in their P-64s ?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by abwehr »

jimturner2006,

With any/most military pistols, feeding hollow points is a "hit or miss" proposition. They were designed to feed the standard round nose ball. I have seen some pistols just eat hollowpoints and never jam. The same model from another person would not even feed a round into the chamber???? I have had commercial pistols that work most of the time with hollow points, but the pistol did not like them and would have several jams per shooting session. You can compare any two pistols and they appear the same; one will shoot hollow points and one will not.

I found a good round for my .40 S&W and it feed RELIABLY! It is the PowRBall, from Cor-Bon I think. The "hollow point" has a polymer ball inserted and makes the bullet end appear like a round nose and they feed perfectly. When the bullet makes contact, the ball spreads the bullet out to approximately a .70/.75 caliber diameter. I have seen rounds fired into geletin and it actually does what they say it will do. I don't shoot a lot as it cost me about $17 for 20 rounds. It is a shame they don't have it for the 9x18 Mak! has anyone else used this ammo?
Last edited by abwehr on December 23rd, 2005, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
amd6547

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by amd6547 »

I read over on gunboards that cor-bon is soon to release the powerball in 9mm Mak. Since cor-bon has never impressed me in other calibers I have tried, I probably won't buy any, but I thought you might want to know...
By the way, if you want to try some really great 40s&w ammo, google doubletap ammo and check out their spec.s It is all I shoot in my Glock 23 now.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
jimturner2006

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by jimturner2006 »

Thanks for the replies guys.If I see the Carbon round I'll try it.
mongo

JHP Ammo & Glasers

Post by mongo »

XTPs have a hard time cycling on some guns with a short cartridge like the .380/9mm

They work great in my CZ-52 but that is a bottleneck cartridge anyway.

I would simply get Silverbears they are built for the freakin gun. Barnauls are fine for the range but I wouldn't carry laquered up rounds for CCW...