Best ammo price?

Post by vinnie »

Who is cheapest ?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best ammo price?

Post by dfunk »

I've spent a few hours looking for the same thing. Who in the hell is the cheapest!? I don't know. I'm thinking I might be forced to try the Wolf brand out because it's readily accessible to me in my area. Maybe some S&B. I called a few gunshops around here and the average price for a 50 rd. box is $10 ! Man, that seems really high...
Last edited by dfunk on November 9th, 2005, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b52stan

Best ammo price?

Post by b52stan »

Let's start with what's best. Prices won't vary much except for where you buy it.
Here's a super link on 9x18 ammo testing for most brands available, with well documented, detailed results.
Availability depends on whether you go to the local shop, or where you order it from.
This analysis is priceless for serious users, and the novice alike, in that it details velocity(recoil and stopping power).
Enjoy.
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=110185
b52stan

Best ammo price?

Post by b52stan »

Forgot to add that I use Fiochhi 90 gr FMJHP for my MAK carry, which is pretty hot. It's good quality stuff. Good, but not as hot is the Hornady 95 gr XTP JHP. For cheap practice, I currently use Bernaul, and Norinco. No problems, and most will be ok if your gun is ok.
I pay $8-10 a box locally, since i don't buy in mail order quantity.
Bottom line, try a few, and see what your 64 and your hand like.
raypol

Best ammo price?

Post by raypol »

Probably the best deal going right now is Brown Bear or Silver Bear from Aim Inc. I paid $4.95/50 last time I bought. It's the shipping that gets you.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Best ammo price?

Post by abwehr »

I have been using Wolf 9x18 for a number of years now and I like it. I usually buy mine from Sportsmans Guide when I am ordering other stuff and have them throw in a few boxes of 50 with the order. Their price with the club discount is a little over $6 per box.

I have never used the Brown Bear or Silver Bear, is it good stuff too?
raypol

Best ammo price?

Post by raypol »

I buy the Wolf at local gun shows and it costs about $6/50 out the door. I have had one instance of a weak load when the gun went poof instead of bang but it didn't stick in the barrel. Also the only FTFs I've had were with Wolf but they aren't very often. So when I shoot Wolf, I don't do double taps, I pay attention. I like the Brown and Silver Bear better. I have never had a problem with it but it is still Russian ammo so I pay attention to it too. I carry Hornady JHP/XTP hollow points which feed perfectly.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Best ammo price?

Post by abwehr »

raypol,

Thanks for the info on the Brown Bear and Silver Bear! I need to buy some and give it a try. Yea, I have had a few bad Wolf rounds myself, but not that often; I figure Russian ammo is Russian ammo, LOL.
ozarker

Best ammo price?

Post by ozarker »

I've used the 90gr FMJ at first. Then found some 115JHP. Thought I would carry those. You don't want to target practice with these. The romp :-).. Finally bought the Hornady XTP. Everything has functions ok.. No problems at all.
jwvette42

Best ammo price?

Post by jwvette42 »

I got Wolf at Cheaper than Dirt for $6.50 for a box of 50 rounds. They seem to have a good stock there normally. They also have Hornaday XTP but I forgot how much I spent on a box.
amd6547

Best ammo price?

Post by amd6547 »

I'm not a fan of the Hornady load. It is too expensive, and as far as it being "hot", it is actually closer to the 380. How is it that the russians can get an honest 1000+fps with a 115gn jhp, but Hornady gets 950fps out of a 95gn bullet?
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best ammo price?

Post by dfunk »

I think with the XTP, it's all about penetration and expansion, not speed. I'd rather use a defensive load with adequate stopping power than one that blazes through people. Still though, that is awfully slow given the platform available...and yes, verrrry expen$ive.
KampusKop

Re: Best ammo price?

Post by KampusKop »

This thread makes me sick!!!

The ammo bubble needs to burst really bad right now!

If prices would come down to an area that approaches reasonable, I would buy tons!!!

As it is.... I have recentley passed on 100rd boxes of .380 auto at Wal Mart due to price.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

I dunno. I pay $10 a box and I'm cool with that. Y'all seem to get $3.95 boxes of 9mm and $2.50 transfer fees though, so I must be doing something wrong with my life.
barryrod

Post by barryrod »

hardcorekeith wrote:I dunno. I pay $10 a box and I'm cool with that. Y'all seem to get $3.95 boxes of 9mm and $2.50 transfer fees though, so I must be doing something wrong with my life.
You could get a Way Back machine and go back to 2005 to get it at those prices :hi: