Wil you still carry Safty off with one in the chamber?

Info, pictures, advice...

Will you still cary safety off with one in the chamber?

Yes I will still carry with one in the chamber and safety off
49%
I will still carry my p64 with one in the chamber but will use my safety
41%
I will no longer carry with one in the chamber
3%
I will no longer carry my p64 for SD
7%

Total votes: 61

teej

Re: Wil you still carry Safty off with one in the chamber?

Post by teej »

I am considering now keeping the safety on but not until extensive, natural reaction is drilled in.

Have any of you seen the video footage of the jewelery store owner being shot several years ago? Guy walks into small store, owner is behind counter with camera looking down from behind jeweler. BG [bad guy] turns to walk out. With his back to jeweler, you can see BG drawing a pistol from his waistband. Jeweler sees it to and draws his own weapon. BG turns firing as jeweler disappears from view. BG continues firing until empty as he goes for the door. At the door he stops then comes back in the direction the jeweler went until he, BG, is also out of view. A few seconds later you see BG sprinting to front door and escape.

BG shot the owner multiple times leaving him critically injured. When the BG stopped at the door the first time and came back going off camera, he went up to the downed jeweler, put his gun to jewelers head and pulled the trigger. Click, BG was out of ammo. He then stole the jewelers watch from his wrist then ran out of the store. The BG had turned firing and the jeweler never got a round off!!

After the jeweler recovered he did an interview and explained that he drew his gun in the life and death adrenal rush, he DID NOT TAKE HIS PISTOL OFF SAFETY when he tried to fire. By that time he was being hit with multiple rounds.

So I think for now I will stick with my G19 as my CCW weapon.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

teej wrote:After the jeweler recovered he did an interview and explained that he drew his gun in the life and death adrenal rush, he DID NOT TAKE HIS PISTOL OFF SAFETY when he tried to fire. By that time he was being hit with multiple rounds.
I recently saw this vid and my memory ws that he was trying, unsuccessfully to rack the slide. IMS, he was carrying with the chamber empty.

I'll try to find the link.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
teej

Post by teej »

If you can find the link, I'd like to see it. I don't remember it that way, but we could be recalling two different incidents.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

teej wrote:we could be recalling two different incidents.
Could be. Or maybe my memory just ain't what it used to be. I'll still looking. I think it was in an email that I deleted but it might have made its way on to another forum that I read.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

OK, got it.

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight. ... oaded-gun/

At this point I'm guessing we're referring to different vids.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I saw that vid. Man, the guy was lucky to get away with his life !He was shot 5 or 6 times in the stomach. That is one main reason why I carry with safety off, I don't want to make the same mistake that the jewler made.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

The Frontsight guy claims that the problem was that he didn't have a round chambered. Can you confirm that it was that the safety was engaged and not that it was being carried Condition Three as is claimed by Frontsight?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

From what I heard on the TV the guy couldn't get his safety off. But, any guy who carries a gun with pink grips??? And yes, that guy tried to shoot him in the head but was out of ammo. Ya' can't be too careful.
at2wooden

Post by at2wooden »

I saw the video on TV too. He didn't take the safety off. It was frightening to watch.
I've had to rethink my P-64 for carry because my safety is too hard to mess with in an emergency, and "fire" is UP, not down.
My Makarov, or CZ-82 would be a better choice for now.
Love to carry my S&W M&P, but it's just too big for comfort and concealment.
Heck, I'd CC my AR-15 if I could just find the right holster.
"Buy 'em cheap, and bury 'em deep."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
benheart

Post by benheart »

I have used a firearm four times to defend my life, and the life of others. I have never had to fire my weapon (THANK GOD!). The very presence of a man pointing a gun had the same affect in all four cases. (Immediate vacating of my personal space- I can laugh about it now.) Having been in that position as many times as I have, and understanding the adrenaline rush the way that I do, I simply DO NOT carry a pistol that requires a safety to be engaged to be safe. (Simply put- I trust myself to be safe with my pistol while not under stress more so than I trust myself to be calm enough to think about a "safety" under stress..... think about it..... )
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

You have a valid point. I pulled my pistole one time. Thank goodness the guy saw it and turned around and got in his truck and left. I was shaking even after the guy vacated the area.
benheart

Post by benheart »

In MY personal experience shaking, after a tramatic event like that is completely natural. I don't consider myself a coward... but the first two times my legs got rubbery and shook uncontrollably afterwards. After the second experience, I had to pull off the road- I couldn't stop my legs from shaking. It became difficult (maybe even unsafe) to drive my vehicle. The last time (about 6 weeks ago) was still VERY unnerving... but at least I didn't shake uncontrollably afterwards. I think maybe my body knew what to expect this time. At any rate.... in two of those experiences I would have had time to rack a round into the chamber. In the other two experiences I would have been dead (if they had fired) -no question. That's 50/50 odds.... not good enough for me. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

These few personal experiences that folks have shared have been enlightening. Thinking about it without experience just seems like it's just something you do, pull the gun out, scare them off, and then that's it. However, you don't think much of the stress or feelings that come afterward. Thanks for sharing!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
benheart

Post by benheart »

Yep...... I wish I could brag about how macho I am and my "nerves of steel" and all..... in truth, that's just not the case and I would be lying if I said anything different. I'm sure there are many brave men out there laughing at me. That's okay. I'm still alive.... and better still- I didn't have to shoot anyone.