Chambering a round

Info, pictures, advice...
nortefunk14

Chambering a round

Post by nortefunk14 »

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I used the search function cause I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but couldn't find what I was looking for. I use my p-64 for ccw, and I like to carry with a round chambered with the hammer down. I've read on some online manuals to rack the slide then use the decocker, and have been doing this as well as riding the hammer forward slowly with my thumb. Is it a bad idea to chamber a round with the safety/decocker already on, that way I don't have to mess with the hammer? popped primers on an sks come to mind.
mychoads

Re: Chambering a round

Post by mychoads »

I always chamber a round with the safety/ decocker in the SAFE/ON position. there is a manual firing pin block on the safety that catches the hammer and prevents it from moving foward. I just rack the slide and let the recoil spring take it home and the decocker do its job. I also use the firearm for CCW.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

Hey that was a good first question. Welcome to the forum and that was a good answer.
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Welcome to the board! As for the decocker, all I'd say is that I'd want to try it out on a range first, just to make sure that it was functioning properly (i.e. not setting off a round), but it sounds like you've already gotten past that point.
darrell

Post by darrell »

I always chamber with the safety on. It won't hurt anything is safer.
electross

Post by electross »

Check it out at the range first as doubletap has suggested. DON'T try and de-cock by holding the hammer with your freehand and pulling the trigger. That practice can get ugly real quick. The problem with pulling the trigger and suppressing the hammer is that you might get away with this for awhile then eventually your hands will be sweaty, have oil on them , whatever, and the hammer will fall just a little bit to hard and strike the firing pin hard enough to make the gun go off. It happens.
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

Best fix, in my humble opinion ... don't chamber the first round unless trouble has just found you and is coming straight for you, or you're getting ready at the range.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Makarov- wrote:Best fix, in my humble opinion ... don't chamber the first round unless trouble has just found you and is coming straight for you, or you're getting ready at the range.
If you are not confident enough to carry the gun with a round chambered get more training... or a diff gun or both. The BG is not going to wait for you to chamber a round.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Autosurgeon wrote: If you are not confident enough to carry the gun with a round chambered get more training... or a diff gun or both. The BG is not going to wait for you to chamber a round.
Agreed! Cocked and locked for me - P64 is hot with safety off. Poor thing doesn't see much time in leather, though.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I always use the safety/decocker when chambering the first round. I have complete confidence in the safety feature this little gun has. I also carry with safety off, which alot of people may not agree with.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Autosurgeon wrote:
Makarov- wrote:Best fix, in my humble opinion ... don't chamber the first round unless trouble has just found you and is coming straight for you, or you're getting ready at the range.
If you are not confident enough to carry the gun with a round chambered get more training... or a diff gun or both. The BG is not going to wait for you to chamber a round.
+1. Round chambered and safety off on a DA/SA handgun........or don't carry one.
benheart

Post by benheart »

+2. Round chambered, hammer DOWN, safety off. (BUT- while this is safe and no different than carrying a double action revolver, make sure you understand how the pistol functions and don't do anything you are uncomfortable or unsure of.) ALWAYS use the safety/decocker to uncock this pistol. If the safety is not physically broken, it is extremely safe to do so. (I believe it goes without saying that it should be pointed in a safe direction anyway.)