What do you use to clean and lube you pistols with?

Info, pictures, advice...
surfzombie

What do you use to clean and lube you pistols with?

Post by surfzombie »

This board has been moving slow lately so thought I would ask to get some activity going.

I have been using EEZOX and really like it. I also use CLP, Hoppes#9 Want to find a more economical way to clean and lube and came across ED'S RED bore cleaner recipe and have also seen that many are using Mobile one full synthetic and such. What is your favorite and why?
meric

Re: What do you use to clean and lube you pistols with?

Post by meric »

I use a generic gun spray degreaser. Then I use hoppes gun oil for the springs, barrel and hard to reach areas. I use moly lube applied with a paint brush to the rails, trigger bar, trigger, trigger sear and other moving parts. I wipe the frame and slide down to keep it dry no oil applied to parts that I would handle so the gun isn't slippery.
JB7748

Post by JB7748 »

I have been using Hoppe's#9 to clean my firearms and use Rem oil sprayed on a old shirt square to wipe down any metal parts. I have also used CLP but I find the smell unpleasing. As for the main spring and rails I have a small syringe of bearing grease filled from a 5 pound tub. If I have been shooting surplus ammo I use Windex and oil patches to pre-clean any salts before a thorough cleaning using Hoppe's later at home. Also as a side thought does anyone recommend a boar snake instead of cleaning rods?
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

surfzombie wrote:What is your favorite and why?
I make my own patches out of old bed sheets. Took me about two hours to cut up a queen size sheet but resulted
in about 3000 cleaning patches and wipes. I am not kidding I will have cleaning patches for a couple of years to come.

Hoppes #9 - no need to say anything. Any shooter knows the stuff just plain works.

FP-10 Lubricant Elite - This is no more expensive then Hoppes or Remington oil but I feel it works best.

My biggest expense and I only buy one can every 6 months is Birchwood Casey Barricade Rust Protection.
I use it on my carry gun as well as any rifle I take in the field. No rust on any of my firearms.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Hoppe's #9 for the bore. Denatured alcohol on cheap WM Q-tips for cleaning slide/frame rails. A very light spread of Slide Glide on all barrel/frame/slide contact surfaces. Full synthetic motor oil lightly inserted by needle syringe on internal springs ad other small moving parts.

Why? 'cause it eliminates excessive wear on SIG alloy frame, therefore it will be more than adequate for an all steel P-64.
electross

Post by electross »

Good question. I use a variety of things, Hoppes, RemOil (my favorite), CLP, Hoppes Gun Oil. I still use Hoppes #9 for the barrel. Just love the smell. A good question is to wonder what preservative a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 has on it? I vote for Elmers Glue (non-hardening) I do use lubriplate for all slides and some bolts. I have heard of some guys using Mobil 1 Grease for their slides and bolts. I believe the saying is that if it slides , grease it, if it rolls, oil it. I like CLP but I do notice that when I clean the herd of handguns, I always get brown stuff on my rag if it was protected with CLP. Traces of any RemOil are usually not there, the gun feels dry, so that tells me that it wears away quickly.
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Hoppes and CLP. Up until recently, it was Hoppes and LSA. I had a big container of German LSA that lasted me for many years. Unfortunately, it finally ran out, and it would seem that the days of LSA are gone forever. I use brushes sparingly - brass if the fouling is really, really bad, but I prefer nylon brushes for the most part. I’m of the general opinion that people tend to over-clean their weapons, but that’s sort of a separate topic. :D
trueimpact

Post by trueimpact »

I use Hoppes and clp. Hoppes in the bore only.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

We all have our favorite products, for me it depends on the situation, but in general I've been using EEZOX, a solvent, lube and rust preventative for cleaning and protecting, and for lube I've been using a product called Synflim 32 by Royal Blue a synthetic lubricant for the past few years, but I always keep Hoppe's No.9 solvent and lube oil along with Rem Oil close at hand. When I shoot corrosive ammo I use plain old soap and water then WD40 and then EEZOX, it totally eliminates and rust inside or out.
P-64Dave

Post by P-64Dave »

I agree with the folks who use EEZOX, really good stuff and economical, so long as you don't overuse it. I like the stuff a lot though it can be hard to find at the local dealer.

I am trying a new Lucas Gun oil which claims it is also a CLP product, they are the same US manufacturer that makes high quality oils and additives for automotive use. Seems to remove light surface rust in my light gunsmithing duties in a local shop, and appears to clean bores okay too, though probably not as well as a dedicated cleaner as Shooter's Choice (obnoxious smell due to ammonia base). Found it at my local auto parts store on the counter.