New Topic Maybe?

Info, pictures, advice...
fknipfer1

New Topic Maybe?

Post by fknipfer1 »

Looking in several of the different manuals I see the round for the P64 is a 71gr bullet. Is this a misprint or error? 71gr would make and awfully short bullet and who makes and sells them? 71gr is more of a 7.65mm gun not 9x18mm. If this is so no wonder the P64 kicks so much it needs a smaller bullet. Will pick up my new to me P64 buy new week.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
leadhead2

Re: New Topic Maybe?

Post by leadhead2 »

It's a misprint.............
Denny
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Mr. Knipfer, definitely a misprint. :) You'll find this info in the email I sent you on my lunch break. This is the "MIS-information" that duped me into buying the extra power recoil spring as "obviously" a 95 grain bullet would have more blowback force according to folks on youtube / internet forums. It's absolute crap. The Polish manual says the projectile is around 6 grams, which is 90 some grains. D.R. Morse's manual is wrong. I wish that the sites that offer this publication (even this one) would make a note about it.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Thank you very much for the answer to my question. Now I will load some 93gr cast bullets for it. I need to look on this site for some reload ammunition. Although I really don't need any ammunition I have lots but I want some lightly loaded ammo because I am a sissy and really hate the stinging hands.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

It's not a misprint. When they were first developed the P-64 shared ammo with a Polish made machine gun. They just produced the same 71 grain round for both. The primers were hard because they had to be for the MG. That's why the hard stock springs. Surplus 71 grain ammo isn't available anywhere anymore. Believe me I've looked. I'd be ALL OVER IT if I ever found any. Now people just use the 93 or 94 grain stuff that regular Makarovs use and either grin and bear the recoil or get custom spring sets to help the felt recoil seem less. Its worth noting that the newer frangible rounds weigh in at 70 grains but I have no info on how the higher pressures of those rounds affect the long term integrity of older milsurp.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Makarov- wrote:It's not a misprint. When they were first developed the P-64 shared ammo with a Polish made machine gun. They just produced the same 71 grain round for both. The primers were hard because they had to be for the MG. That's why the hard stock springs. Surplus 71 grain ammo isn't available anywhere anymore. Believe me I've looked. I'd be ALL OVER IT if I ever found any. Now people just use the 93 or 94 grain stuff that regular Makarovs use and either grin and bear the recoil or get custom spring sets to help the felt recoil seem less. Its worth noting that the newer frangible rounds weigh in at 70 grains but I have no info on how the higher pressures of those rounds affect the long term integrity of older milsurp.
It's absolutely a misprint. I have an original red cover Polish manual and can verify that the listed projectile weight is 6,0 g or 92-93 grains. While I'm not an expert, they only 71 grain ammo I've ever heard of is for a 32 auto. I've never seen or heard, except for this error, that there has been a 71gr 9x18.

Here's a scan of page 10
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I loaded and fired 50rds of 93gr LRN from Missoui Cast. It was shooting probably between 900 to 950fps. I use 3.6grs of W231 and it was a great round, you could shoot it all day. American primers, brass and bullets and I enjoyed shooting the gun. I'll load 50 more and see what they do with a chrongraph reading. This round didn't sting anymore than my EG Makarov. I believe all of the European rounds especially Russian are loaded to the hilt and it very hard to shoot 50rds at one shooting.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

I'm going to have to look at the two pages that quoted it as being 71 grains then. I'm glad you have shared this with me.

Here's a link to that corbon powrball stuff. Like I said new types of ammo with old milsurp ... proceed at your own risk. Never shot it

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/s ... RBall.html

Still trying to find the original reference to 71 grain shared between the RAK and the P 64.

I'm beginning to think it was something obscure like custom load data. Anyway I saw a couple of references to it and the fact that it negated the need to change out springs to tone down recoil. If I find it I'll post it here. Mea culpa I can't produce my source. Apparently the mesco stuff wasn't in the pattern of the original either. Still doing research.

Ok here's another quote from another source I havent seen until now about the existence of lighter smaller grain loads. Here's the source page. It was originally developed for the CZ 82 they are refering to the development process when they were examining other calibers as well for comparison.

http://www.freeexistence.org/vz82.html

The basic characteristics of the round are as follows: p Bullet - presents the biggest difference from the Makarov round. It is produced using a metallurgy technology wherein iron powder is pressed together, analogous to the "Sintereisen" [sintered; a bullet made in this way has less risk of ricochet] German wartime bullet (from [slitkoveho zeleza]). The mass of the bullet is only 4.5g, whereas the Makarov bullet weighs 6.1g. The surface of the bullet is lacquered, and an experimental version was also nickel coated or suffused with titanium nitride

I have no problem with what is in your manual in your previous post. The figure quoted is what most off the shelf Makarov rounds weigh in at. But if I could find any of these early smaller rounds we keep seeing obscure reference to I still would pounce on them just so that my wife would be more comfortable shooting my P 64 due to lighter recoil. I really don't want to play with springs. MAYBE if I get another P-64 I would do the spring thang but the one I have now will remain stock. I'm a bit of a purist unless I have multiple firearms of the same type and LOTS of spare money for mods.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Corbon has a 70gr Pow r Ball round has anyone tried it in their pistol. I purchased two boxes and haven't fired them yet. As soon as I get back home from horspital I will try them.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965