jobot

Re: Best BB guns for christmas.

Post by jobot »

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I always like the old pump up kind. A lot more power than the spring powered RR's. They're okay for small children though, can't set a can too far away, there's just not much umph to the newer Ryders and you can literally watch the arc of the BB.
mychoads

Post by mychoads »

Depends on the age of the recipient, but the .17 caliber spring/ piston fired pellet guns are pretty awesome. They are dead accurate out to 25-30 yards with a scope and cheap to shoot. I wouldn't give one to a young child though unless they have been taught proper handling of firearms because they pack a punch and can be dangerous with 4 grain pellets moving @ 1000 fps.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

A number of years ago I bought a red ryder for my oldest grandson. I didn't care for it much but he wanted one. I found it to be very cheaply made. After giving him the red ryder. I dug out the old 22cal Benjman pellet gun that his father and uncles used. I don't think the red ryder is still around but that old benjman is, and still going strong after six children of my own and three grandsons. I suspect it's going to out last me. It's pretty snappy for a pellet gun and some of the kids have taken small game with it over the years.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I do have one of the Beeman ones at it is very good. It's the .177 caliber one break action. I have killed squirrels and such with it, so it is deadly and very accurate. They make them in a conversion kit with a .177 and .22 barrel for around $130. A little late for Christmas though.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I had a red ryder gun when I was pretty young. 8? 9?

Dunno. I had a lot of fun with it and I never shot my eye out (or anyone elses) and I grew up with a love of guns.

My first "gun" was a 20 gauge franchi shotgun. Wish I still had it.

What did you end up getting?
ourbigbluehouse

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

I have used a Crosman 2100 (now 2100b) for a number of years for killing squirrels using .177 pellets. It will also accept BBs. It is very quiet and deadly at 25-30 yards. A well placed shot using a 4x scope can be effective at 40 yrds. Make sure to put a couple drops of oil on the sponge every month or so to keep it working well