and is safe to shoot in the P64?
Thanks,
Denny
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: 9x18 ammo?????

Post by juniustaylor »

Barnaul is the manufacturer of Bear-line (Brown, Silver, Gold) as well as their own name brand "Barnaul". It's all Russian stuff.
smbob

Post by smbob »

Although it goes bang when you pull the trigger I have found the Russian ammo (Silver Bear, Brown Bear,
Wolf, Brunal and others) to be loaded a bit too hot for good accuracy in my 9X18's. I much prefer reloads
using cut down 9mm Luger brass and Missouri Bullets 93gr rnl bullets. Although it takes a bit of effort, 9X18's
can be loaded for real cheap with excellent results.

Robert
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

Don't go over 95 grain bullets in the P64.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with PA-joe on the 95gr in a P-64 which several of here adhere to, however, I don't have any problems with so called factory 95 gr ammo which most of it is actually at 92 to 94gr, at least the 9x18 bullets I have have weighed including MFS, Mesko, Norinco, S&B and Winchester WB which I pretty sure is made by S&B. At some point I will have to start reloading 9x18 when all my cache of 9x18 starts to run low. I am saving my 9x18 brass when I can find it over in the next county, but picking up my 9mm brass is much easier to find, so I can cut it down to 9x18 brass.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Yea, I reload my own too with cut down 9mm brass
and the lee mold, but I wanted to shoot, and didn't
want to lose the brass in the snow. I found this stuff
hidden away (barnul) and just thought I'd ask.
Thanks for the info.
Denny
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

As long as it's 9x18mm Makarov and 95 gr or less. It should work fine.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The Brown and Silver Bear ammo haven't shot that great from either my P-64 or CZ-82 - I'm talking erratic. I'd have one hit around the bullseye and another shoot 1 foot high and a 6 inches left, and all over the place from there. Norinco shot decent from them. I have shot my reloads (cut down 9mm Luger, Berry Plated bullets, and 4.6 gr Power Pistol) from my CZ-82 and they were very good at 25 yards. A lot of folks shoot from 7 yards for SD scenarios, I'm sure my loads would have blown that test out of the water.

As papabear said, the Winchester Metric stuff is S&B. Some folks have reported finding S&B headstamps in the same box as the Winchester.
kansas

Post by kansas »

I will shoot about any I find in 9x18 just slinging lead and none seems to bad. Found some old Hornady in JH at a gun show use it as mt SD load. Need to saving brass from the 9's around. My Makrovs, P-64's and cz 82 all seem to eat it all ok.
electross

Post by electross »

kansas wrote:I will shoot about any I find in 9x18 just slinging lead and none seems to bad. Found some old Hornady in JH at a gun show use it as mt SD load. Need to saving brass from the 9's around. My Makrovs, P-64's and cz 82 all seem to eat it all ok.
Yep, same here, I have several Makarov's, had a CZ82, PA63, several P64's and all eat up any 9X18 I have put through it. All the bears shoot well in anything I have owned or still have. My Maks really like the Hornady XTP. Expensive taste from the Maks. (I'm sorry guys, I just have to do it) They even like Wolf ammo. :evilgrin: