SA pull weight

Info, pictures, advice...
4playxj

SA pull weight

Post by 4playxj »

Hello, this is my first post, but not my first visit. I really like the site and it has been a good help. I purchased my P-64 basically blind about it. It looked good, was in very good condition, and was inexpensive. What did I have to loose? Nothing it turns out, I like it :D

Is there any way to increase the pull weight in SA mode? I find that occasionally, since changing the springs, I will unintentionally fire a second round on the range. The pull weight in DA is perfect, much better than before, but I'm iffy about the SA pull and would like to increase it without changing the DA. I did a search, but didn't really find an answer, just a similar request. Thanks
Autosurgeon

Re: SA pull weight

Post by Autosurgeon »

Not really possible that I know of..

What weight spring did you install?

Trigger control is a learned skill as well so more practice may help too.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

There is a poster here that installed a heavier weight trigger return spring to address just this issue. You might do a search or perhaps he'll weigh-in on your question.

NRA Life Member

Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

DocCasualty wrote:There is a poster here that installed a heavier weight trigger return spring to address just this issue. You might do a search or perhaps he'll weigh-in on your question.
I forgot about the trigger return spring thanks for the reminder!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

You also have to learn to really hold the grip when you fire. What you are experiencing is double tapping the trigger as the pistol recoils.
polock

Post by polock »

I think we all understand the need to properly grip the pistol to prevent "doubles", but I doubt anyone would remember to do that if they had to use the pistol to defend their life--

While I find the DA horrendous, I have hesitated to change springs as,IMO. the stock SA is too light for CCW. Has anyone tried a heavier trigger return spring leaving the other springs "stock"? Would this increase the SA pull w/o increasing the already too heavy DA pull?

If anyone has tried this, or has personal knowledge of someone who has done this, I'd appreciate hearing what the results were--
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"--Brendan Behan, Irish post
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I used the 19 pound trigger spring and the heavy recoil spring. When i practice at the range i usually shoot the first round da then the remaining single. I am familiar with what ur saying but i assure u that after putting about 700 rounds through my gun I no longer double tap anything unless I want to.

My experience is the p-64 is a painful gun to fire but reliable and very accurate.

If i was in a gun fight i would draw it out empty it center mast so double, single, whatever.
polock

Post by polock »

kurremkurm--I agree that the neat lil' P64 is a painful gun to shoot!
I can live with the heavy DA pull (for CCW), but not the light SA pull--just wish I could make the SA pull heavier w/o increasing the DA weight--
kansas

Post by kansas »

This might be a question for Norm see he has made any heavier trigger springs. I carry my P64 so if I have to use double tap may not hurt any one but the bad one!

I have had this happen right after i brought my first one home after that it hasnt again. Stock springs in all. I did change 2 broken trigger springs to Norms. work great though same pull I think in SA.
polock

Post by polock »

kansas--Thank you for the suggestion--
Merry Christmas to all fans of Polish steel!!
shotar

Post by shotar »

With the 19# hammer spring, my DA pull is now around 13# and SA is a measured 5.5 lbs. Having grown up on a single action Colt, I find this more than acceptable. The long take up while light, is an added safety feature. The SA pull is not the take up, it is the weight which trips the sear.
polock

Post by polock »

shotar--Understand the diff between take-up and trigger pull. My P64's SA pull (stock) is less than 3 lbs--that is why I won't trust it as CCW---