How are you carrying the P-64?

Info, pictures, advice...
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

OK, I've been carrying the P-64 with the chamber loaded, safety off, relying on the heavy DA pull as an additional safety and not dropping the gun.

I also run with scissors, I guess, and probably shouldn't worry about the extra second to flip the safety on a draw and be safer.

What do you all think?
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

My brother accicdently dropped my P-64 on a hardwood floor, loaded, one in the pipe, safety on, with the hammer down. The gun did not go off. We discussed the dangers of this maneuver as we walked back to the scene of the dropping, (which took about ten minutes). That is the only gun drop I have ever wittnessed and hopefully it will be the last. I agree with you that the heavy DA is a safety feature and I believe that in the heat of the moment the heavy DA will not even be noticed. I also beleive that the safety should always be on unless the gun is pointed at something that you intend to shoot. I also agree that running with scissors is standard operating procedure.
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

I occaisionaly carry in a retail store situation, when I do, it is loaded with safety off. As erehwesel said, that heavy double action pull, which is usable if you are used to it, might give a gun grabber problems.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I personally carry loaded and safety off. If my rig is not secure enough to hold the gun in place and there is a chance I may drop it, I either need a better rig or just not carry.
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

According to where I am.. A small conv. store/station..Late at night. The safety is off. Day inside a WalMart, etc.. safety is probably on..
raypol

Post by raypol »

OK, I've been carrying the P-64 with the chamber loaded, safety off, relying on the heavy DA pull as an additional safety and not dropping the gun.

I also run with scissors, I guess, and probably shouldn't worry about the extra second to flip the safety on a draw and be safer.

What do you all think?
The P64 won't fire unless the trigger is pulled because the hammer can not reach the firing pin with out the trigger being pulled back. It is safe to carry one in the chamber with the safety off and the hammer down. The safety is a de-cocker too. Load one in the chamber and slide the safety to on and the hammer will de-cock or rack the slide with the safety on and the slide will let the hammer down as it goes into battery. Pretty safe pistol.

jpb
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

I performed a perhaps "politically incorrect" modification: carved off the piece that drops hammer when safety on. So I'm carrying "cocked and locked" (all the safety features are still operative) Nicely avoids the stiff DA pull and the transition to SA for double taps.
preacher

Post by preacher »

I carry chamber loaded and safety on. I have a Romarm Model 95(PPK clone) which is very similiar to the P64. So dropping the safety off is like 2nd nature to me by now. I can draw and drop the safety one-handed by using my thumb. By the time I get to full draw, the safety is off.

I guess all the practice has paid off.
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

I carry with the chamber empty, safety off, but I do this with all my carry semiautos... I figure if I don't have time to work the slide, I'm in HTH combat anyways, and for that I like having both hands free...

-Mark
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I carry like "preacher" does, chamber loaded and safety on. I was trained this way and it feels very comfortable for me to keep my finger out of the triggerguard, thumb on safety to release as I withdraw. With the P-64, I do have to cock the hammer; that double action is tough, LOL
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

Just got mine on Sunday so I've just started carrying it but I carry with the safety on,loaded. It should be very safe in this condition. One note, the safety action is much better since I loaded it up with Tetra teflon gun grease and worked it quite abit. Smoothed right out.
Last edited by nimble1 on December 13th, 2005, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I have a small pump can of teflon lube a friend of mine gave me about 5 years ago and that stuff works great! I need to check online and see if the company still manufactures the lube. I can put one small squirt in the action and immediatly tell the difference.

While on this subject, has anyone used any of the Teflon stuff that you put into your motor oil for the car? I can't remember the name of it offhand. I have heard it is great for lubing firearms, but have never tried it. At $15-20 a bottle, I can buy other lube a lot cheaper. I am a cheapskate I guess, LOL
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

I carry one in the chamber with the safety off and the hammer down. This works for me because I switch between three guns. P-64, Makarov and CZ-82. All 9x18 and all have heavy DA actions.
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

My favorite P-64 has the problem of the trigger not working when coming off the safety, so I may start carrying it (1967 vice fully functional 1976 with poorer trigger) safety off hammer down. It seems to work reliably once the safety disconnector moves out of the way.
mongo

Post by mongo »

According to where I am.. A small conv. store/station..Late at night. The safety is off. Day inside a WalMart, etc.. safety is probably on..
same here, office safety on in tuckable holster.

in truck, safety off between the seats next to me.