How do you feel about carrying safety off and hammer down?

Info, pictures, advice...
seaplane

How do you feel about carrying safety off and hammer down?

Post by seaplane »

I carry my P-64 alot for ccw. I am wondering what the opinion is on carrying with the hammer down and safety off with one in the chamber? With such a long trigger pull, I don't worry about an A.D. , But I do notice the hammer does lay on the firing pin(or so it seems) when the safety is off. I am wondering how easy a dropped pistol might go off in this condition? My safety takes a pretty hard push to turn off, so I would rather just leave it off it there isn't a possibillity of an AD if it were to hit the floor by accident . For now, I am carrying it safety on. Whats the proper manual of arms for pocket carry here? Thanks!
waltham41

Re: How do you feel about carrying safety off and hammer do

Post by waltham41 »

It wont, it has a hammer block that prevents that. With the pistol empty, put the safety on fire and see how far you can push the hammer in towards the firing pin. Then put it on safe and do the same. You will notice that it will not go in as far on fire.

I consider it totally safe with one in the chamber and the safety on fire, considering how much pressure is needed to pull the trigger. And with the rounded hammer model there is no chance of the hammer snagging something and being pulled back.
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

From looking at mine, it looks like the P64 used an inertia style firing pin where even with the trigger pulled the pin doesn't contact the cartridge. Only when the hammer is dropped from the cocked position is firing pin pushed into the primer without the hammer contacting the pin for the last 1/16" or so of travel. (If that makes any sense).
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Jagguy I think between the two of us we got the message across LOL
seaplane

Post by seaplane »

Thanks guys, I have noticed that the hammer will rise a small amount when the safety is engaged, and that made me think that the hammer was riding on the firing pin when the safety was off. It looks like the safety holds the hammer back from contacting the FP. , Thats why I asked this question. Thanks for your help.