I decided NOT to change the springs and why.

Info, pictures, advice...
robalan

Re: I decided NOT to change the springs and why.

Post by robalan »

surfzombie wrote:OK all you guys that carry the P-64. Have you changed the hammer/main spring or are you stock springs?
Mine has stock springs and 6+1.
robalan

Post by robalan »

dfunk wrote:surf, I should also add that when I carry the P64, it's 6+1 safety off. However, I rarely carry it anymore - it's been exclusively a 1911 7+1 cocked and locked for months now.
The 1911 is really nice. I just recently bought a Kimber Ultra. It of course is 7+1. Sometimes I have it cocked and sometimes half cocked. Sometimes I carry a Bond Arms Derringer with ACP barrel as a backup and other times I have the P64. The P64 is 6+1 uncocked and safety off.
buds

Post by buds »

Stock springs, 6+1. I've never had an issue with recoil either. Mine is a 1977 model. The most reliable handgun I've ever had. It's my primary carry gun for that reason.
electross

Post by electross »

I changed them. Just something I wanted to do. You don't have to. It only takes a few minutes to change them back. So, why not experiment. If you prefer leaving it the way it is, fine. Part of having these handguns (surplus) is that they did not break the bank buying them and you can usually change them just by installing springs. Customizing your own handgun. Thats part of the fun for me. Just like someone buying the grips from Marshal. You don't have to do that but many do it to give it a better feel. Same way with the recoil and trigger springs. By the way, if you change the recoil spring by going heavier, you should change the trigger spring by going lighter. The gun was developed with both of those springs in mind. Have fun.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Plus one with papabear, I have owned four and changed the springs in only one and I don't see the need for an empty chamber when the decocker works so well. It doesn't take much practice to learn to draw and disingage the decocker at the same time, practice makes perfect. Also there is no need for the decocker if you carry in the proper holster, the triger is protected and accidental discharge is almost impossible. You do have to take into consideration the fellow carrying the pistol
and where he/she puts there trigger finger during carry!
electross

Post by electross »

To change the springs or not is really a matter of preference. I may actually change mine back to the original set of springs. The single action is a little touchy. Its still cheap fun to experiment around a little. Wolff springs are like Mad Magazine. Its still cheap. As far as carrying without one in the barrel, I load up and hope I don't need it. I use to think there would be time to operate the slide. There is no way you would have time to rack the slide and pop off a round in time to prevent harm to yourself. Try this, walk through your home in the dark, with your favorite handgun, imagine someone jumping you, are you going to have time to rack and shoot? NO. You may not even have time to shoot let alone racking a slide. Safety is one thing and we can't let our guard down on safety, but the whole idea of home protection or a carry situation is that you are ready for anything that comes at you and you still may not be ready for whatever happens. You are just hedging the bet your way a little. Thats my opinion and not to be confused with anybody else's.
buds

Post by buds »

The only people I know who don't carry one in "the pipe" are the hollyweird actors in movies. I guess it gives the audience some kind of thrill to watch some character rack the slide on his sidearm before entering a dangerous location. I just laugh and shake my head when I see such nonsense.
robbins290

Post by robbins290 »

Do you think a marine over seas is going to carry a m4 or a sidearm with a empty chamber think he will have time to charge the weapon. The thing is, the world is a battlefield. You need every advantage u can get. He four seconds it takes to charge ur pistol may be the differnce between life and death. If ur going to b packing. Be ready to fight. I carry iwb 24/7. If its not on me, im sleepig with it next to me. My wife is the same way.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

Since I started this thread way back in August. I now carry my P-64 with one in the pipe, fully loaded 6+1. I saw the error of my ways and changed but I still have not changed any springs and do Not plan on ever. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
buds

Post by buds »

I've always carried 6+1. No time to run the slide in a life and death situation. I have a good friend in LE who confirmed everyone needs to carry with one "in the pipe." The only people who draw and run the slide are actors in unrealistic movies. As for the springs. Mine are stock in my 1977 model, and work fine. My hand never hurts from the recoil either, so I figure why change. Over 600 rounds and no FTF or FTE.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Just to add I carry the P-64 6+1 safety on, I practice weekly for different situations. I was trying to carry a CZ82 though to soft of DA pull with a mishap in the house put it away for a rainy day! My back up is a Ruger p-90 8+1 if the first one dont get watch out for the big boy! To many people running around that want to do harm to the good folks. This thread is a very intersting read and all of you have great things to add. I hope all are safe and never have to use the side arm for defense.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I carry 5+1 and 6 in my spare magazine.

I always have six shots and I think it was probably designed to work with 6.

Then someone came along and said, yeah but you can +1.

But it wasn't designed for it.

I have the 19 pound trigger and the 20 pound recoil spring.

My finger wasn't designed for the stock trigger pull :P