I decided NOT to change the springs and why.

Info, pictures, advice...
Autosurgeon

Re: I decided NOT to change the springs and why.

Post by Autosurgeon »

I have changed the hammer spring out to the 18# and the recoil out to the 20#
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

I'm not routinely carrying the P-64 but recently got a CrossBreed holster (PPK) just so I can carry it when more convenient then my G26. I only changed the hammer spring, not the recoil spring. Mine was nearly impossible to shoot DA with the stock hammer spring, requiring two fingers to shoot. I was going to see how it broke in but it was useless in DA prior to the substitution.

Yep, 6+1 with the safety off in a holster. Even with the 17# main spring, the DA pull is still a safety, not a hair trigger by any means.

NRA Life Member

waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

I changed, it makes that first shot so much easier for me to get off, I changed the recoil spring too, but I was more concerned about the trigger.
buds

Post by buds »

I left mine stock. The recoil isn't that bad, and I usually only shoot in SA.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I have never changed anything on my P-64's except the grips.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

papabear wrote:I have never changed anything on my P-64's except the grips.
Same here -- all original except the grips from Marschal.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Left my stock springs alone, saw no need to change them.

My CZ82 on the other hand was a real bear to shoot, changed the springs and no recoil issues now. Shoot first, change springs if needed.

Also no problem with carrying one in the chamber on the p-64. Considering the loaded chamber indicator and heavy SA trigger pull, it just seems a little more practical to do so compared to some other autos.
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

Stock springs on my P64s, I like the DA and SA trigger the way it was made. Left the original black plastic grip panels on too, although I did install a Hogue Handall Jr. on each gun.
mychoads

Post by mychoads »

I use the 18# Hammer and 20# Recoil spring in my p-64. Carry it 6+1 SilverBear JHP's with safety off. If not in a holster that covers the trigger (like a cargo pocket) the safety's on.

I don't expect a bad guy to wait for me to rack the slide. As a good guy with a ccw, we are always Re-acting to a threat, the criminal is the one with the element of suprise. Just my .02.....

I try to go to the range weekly and run all different kinds of self defense ccw drills. I wouldn't carry if I was unable to practice on a regular basis. I've been carrying my p-64 exclusively since I got it.
mikana

Post by mikana »

6+1 safety off... 22lbs recoil 18 lbs main
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

I agree with "what works for one may not be right for another". I having said that, I predominantly carry a 1911 with wilson combat 8 rd mags, so in my case it's an 8+1 locked and cocked situation.

For the P-64, I carry it chambered and safety off. For me, having the chamber clear is never an option. If I don't feel comfortable going chambered, I shouldn't be carrying it. But again, that's just my feeling on it. When I'm carrying the p-64, it's also in a cross breed supertuck. I don't even know it's there!

Oh and I still have stock springs on my 1969. I'm ok with it the way it is, but have considered ordering the springs just in case I want to experiment.
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

I carry my p-64 6+1, safety off and have trained myself to cock the hammer as I draw. I've also practiced a bunch single action. It's my preferred carry piece. I also carry a Glock 19, but I like the smallness of the p-64, I can wear it with shorts and a t shirt, not even needing a belt.
blaster

Post by blaster »

carrying with an empty chamber is a bad idea. racking the slide will get you killed if the bad guy already has his weapon out. add in that a feed jam is more likely when you rack the slide in a high stress situation. a cwl holder is not justified in waving a gun around just to scare someone. if the gun needs to be drawn, it must be ready to shoot instantly. I just put an 18# hammer spring in my P-64 and it made it much easier to shoot d.a.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Try it as is before you change the springs, you may just like it the way it was made. Practice and make the shooter better, it makes more sense than dumbing down the gun and then claiming victory!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

surfzombie wrote:Sound like good advise. Did you change your main spring or is it stock?
I've had a total of 5 P-64's to date, I have not changed any springs in any of them.