Accuracy Issues?

Info, pictures, advice...
mattrosswalker

Accuracy Issues?

Post by mattrosswalker »

I'm having some slight accuracy issues with my gun I believe. First off the gun usually groups all off to the right...and no it's not just my user error. I shoot lefty...friends have shot it (they shoot righty)...all shots hit right...so I need to adjust the rear sight I'm assuming. Are there any special tools or tricks and techniques to do this with?

Next issue...even though all shots end up right...the pattern from only 20 paces is HUGE for even a handgun I believe. I'm actually quite disappointed with the accuracy and performance of my P64 so far. I'm not sure as to why this seems to be an issue with my gun as I have read with other people the gun seems to be a very accurate weapon for them. Any thoughts as to why my groupings are so large? Again...this is not user error I believe as I own several other handguns and can create a pattern in a quarter from the same distance with them. I'm shooting a Fiocchi ammo out of the gun as that is the only ammo that my gun shop here carries in 9X18. I don't know if it's an ammo issue or what the deal is. I don't want to go and buy more ammo just to test out since I still have over 100 rds. of this left. I'm wondering if it's just a cheaper ammo that is tumbling after it leaves the barrel? Again I'm not sure and am just looking to get some advice from others who have more experience and know how with this firearm. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Autosurgeon

Re: Accuracy Issues?

Post by Autosurgeon »

The first thing to do is try different ammunition. That may help with the grouping issues.

As for the shooting right IF the rear sight is off the centerline then it MIGHT be to blame.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
smbob

Post by smbob »

Definately try some different ammo. I have found that the only way to go
is to get it online. Way cheaper than anywhere locally, even when you add shipping, and way way way larger selection. There is Silver Bear, Brown Bear, S&B, and others. Try a box of each and see how they group. Different ammo might even change your point of impact. Here are a few online places for ammo.

Robert

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... v-fmj-ammo

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-f ... Path/25_30

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemList ... ?catid=738
mattrosswalker

Post by mattrosswalker »

Well according to the websites comments...the Fiocchi is a pretty decent round apparently for the gun. I might try Winchester if I decide to order ammo online. The brown and silver bear seem to me to be dirtier and cheaper quality rounds.

This being said...question was never answered as how to re-adjust the rear sights without damaging it. Do I need any special tools.

What is your preferred ammo of choice for accuracy. It is next to impossible to find any hollow point ammo in 9X18 and there for my concealed weapon it HAS to be accurate. I promise I can do much more damage with my shot placement of an FMJ than any wild hollow point...but I don't have either with this gun yet and that is what scares me about using it for CCW. This gun MUST be accurate in order for it to be safe...and again...it is not user error as I have plenty of handgun experience and friends of mine get the same result with my firearm. Thanks.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

I find that Brown and silver bear is very accurate out of all my 9x18 guns... after my hand loads of course but they are tailored for accuracy!

For carry I use Silver Bear FMJ as I have never had a squib or any other issue in over 2000 rounds of this stuff!

As for the sight A hard plastic hammer would likely work the best. I have a piece of plastic counter top about 8 inches square that I work on for this type of thing... either that or padded vice jaws!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
mattrosswalker

Post by mattrosswalker »

I think another reason that the accuracy is so far off is that I think the bullets might be tumbling instead of flying straight. When I hit my 357 mag on the target the holes are nice and round...where as when my P64 hits...the holes look to be more torn...I might be off and that's just normal...but it doesn't look to me as if the bullet is flying straight
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

easure those bullets it should not be key holing
marcodelat

Post by marcodelat »

Check the crown of the barrel closely...
mwarren1

Post by mwarren1 »

I haven't drifted my sights on my P64 as I have no reason too. On other guns, I always use a brass punch and a small hammer to drift sights that are dovetailed. The brass punch can leave some brass residue that needs to be rubbed off.

As far as accuracy, you didn't make any distinction between double action and single action. The double action on mine is so stiff that it is difficult to shoot accurately with double action. Single action is certainly more accurate.
mattrosswalker

Post by mattrosswalker »

Of course single action is more accurate...sorry for not specifying this. The double action is so stiff that it's not something I ever use hardly.

I don't see anything that just looks completely out of place with the crown...but doesn't mean that there's not something wrong with it either. Is it even possible to have a gunsmith re-crown our guns and how much would a procedure like that cost? I suppose I will take it to the smith this next week and have him examine it and see what he thinks...tho I'm not exactly on great terms with the local guy at the moment. Called him about it late this last week and told me that it was probably just user error...false.

Has anyone else ever had any trouble with Fiocchi ammo tumbling out of their gun?
mwarren1

Post by mwarren1 »

I know that I was impressed with the accuracy of my P64 the first time out. I think it was due to: (1) my initial expectations were low given its relatively short barrel, (2) the sights on the pistol were dead-on and shot to the point of aim at 10-15 meters, and (3) the single action trigger was very smooth and had a light release. I also find that a slip-on grip on my p64 helps as the P64 can be hard on the hand with some ammo, which could lead to flinching.

Based on previous experiences with other guns, my most important factor in accuracy has been ensuring that the sight's point of aim is properly aligned with the point of impact. Of course, if the ammo is flawed, the barrel crown is damaged, or the rifling is worn out, it can never be very accurate. Another important point about a surplus gun is make sure ALL the cosmoline is cleaned out of the barrel before firing.
mattrosswalker

Post by mattrosswalker »

I've never heard of cosmoline before. What is it? My guns are all cleaned thoroughly every time they are used and regularly even if they weren't fired.
mwarren1

Post by mwarren1 »

Cosmoline is a heavy grease commonly used in the long-term storage of surplus firearms. My P64 had it in the barrel and in all the nooks and crannies of the action when I bought it. As noted in other areas of this forum, it is essential that your P64 is thoroughly cleaned (everything, everywhere) and then properly lubed when you first get it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

mattrosswalker

its a mixture of wax and grease , in the old days they made made it by mixing bees wax with animal fats today is all petroleum based ,its been in use since George Washington was a General

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

mattrosswalker,

This might help some.