Where do you buy your 9x18 ammo and what do you like best?

Info, pictures, advice...
former_usmc

Where do you buy your 9x18 ammo and what do you like best?

Post by former_usmc »

I can find pretty much whatever I want online but I'm curious as to which big box stores you guys pick yours up locally. Does academy sell 9x18?

I picked up a white box of seller & bellot (24 rounds), a green and red box of seller & bellot (50), a box of winchester (50), a green box of norinco (50) and a box of hornady jhp (24) so I could try some different things and see what my 1969 likes. I got a few from the gun show and a few from my local gun shop. Are all of these going to be ok? a few of them don't list the bullet wt, so I'd like to be sure that they're not heavier than the 95gr. that is recommended. I also want to try some brown bear since that seems to be well liked and it shoots well out of my sks.

Thanks!
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
mattwestm

Re: Where do you buy your 9x18 ammo and what do you like bes

Post by mattwestm »

I used to get ammo locally, but it's much cheaper online, even with shipping. The only shop here that carries 9x18 only has Hornady XTP and Wolf crap. I carry and shoot Brown Bear FMJ. It's dirty, but I've never had a misfire or any other problem. I trust my life with it.

Edit: Is Wolf still crap ammo? I've never shot it, but heard bad things.
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

I've shot wolf through my sks and other than being dirty, I've never had any misfires. Having said that though, I haven't shot as much wolf as I have monarch and brown bear. I'm curious about the wolf stuff myself. It seems that it's more plentiful at the gun shows and in some of my local stores.
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

mattwestm wrote:
Edit: Is Wolf still crap ammo? I've never shot it, but heard bad things.
yes
former_usmc wrote:It seems that it's more plentiful at the gun shows and in some of my local stores.
the word finely has gotten out, and no body is buying it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mychoads

Post by mychoads »

I like shooting the SilverBear 94 gr FMJ for practice and carry the SilverBear 94 gr JHP after it impressed me with some wetpack testing. I video taped some tests, you can find the link in the FMJ vs. JHP thread here.

BrownBear is a little dirtier and the laquer cases can lead to problems without thorough cleaning. S&B is some of the best 9x18 I've shot and Wolf is without a doubt the worst. Hornady xtp's are lacking velocity but have an excellent bullet design that will expand reliably.

Just my opinions... Shoot what you like
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

mychoads wrote:I like shooting the SilverBear 94 gr FMJ for practice and carry the SilverBear 94 gr JHP after it impressed me with some wetpack testing. I video taped some tests, you can find the link in the FMJ vs. JHP thread here.

BrownBear is a little dirtier and the laquer cases can lead to problems without thorough cleaning. S&B is some of the best 9x18 I've shot and Wolf is without a doubt the worst. Hornady xtp's are lacking velocity but have an excellent bullet design that will expand reliably.

Just my opinions... Shoot what you like
I haven't shot much Silver Bear, but have you noticed a difference between Silver Bear and Brown Bear FMJ ammo? I did notice the Silver Bear JHP shot much cleaner than the Brown Bear FMJ, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to upgrade from Brown Bear to Silver Bear FMJ.
mychoads

Post by mychoads »

I haven't shot much Silver Bear, but have you noticed a difference between Silver Bear and Brown Bear FMJ ammo? I did notice the Silver Bear JHP shot much cleaner than the Brown Bear FMJ, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to upgrade from Brown Bear to Silver Bear FMJ.[/quote][/quote][/i]

I do notice a difference. The BrownBear seems dirtier than SilverBear, which isn't the cleanest burning stuff. Also, accuracy in my experience is a little better with the SilverBear. Czech S&B beats both of the russian loads as far as FMJ is concerned, but its quite a bit more expensive.
OwenS

Post by OwenS »

As a practice, I usually buy my ammo in bulk online. As far as sources, I frequent the CMP for surplus 30.06 and Ammunitiontogo.com for everything else. Regarding 9x18, I like Silver Bear and S&B.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

OwenS

both good company's

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

I reload 8)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I do too even the ones I carry,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I typically check http://www.ammoengine.com Select the caliber and they'll give you various results from different online vendors. Kind of a "Google for ammo". Right now Cheaper Than Dirt has a good price on Brown Bear $9.19 I believe. Silver Bear is $10.39
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SearchRe ... =10&q=9x18

Ammunition To Go wants $10.49 for Silver Bear, so you don't save a whole lot buying it from CTD.

Normally I just buy Silver Bear from gunshows for around $10. That's about all I've shot out of my P-64 other than some weird no-brand and a box of Norinco stuff. Everything I've put through that gun has gone bang.

I'm getting around to reloading... just got to get the dies/brass/bullets. I'll get all that in the next 3 weeks.

Norm, in regards to a CZ-82, is it okay to shoot cast bullets through it? If they're say, 18bhn, those should be okay right? I'm considering the Berry plated bullets also.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

JUN
I shoot cast bullets out of mine with no problem , just clean the bore after shooting

these are not Glocks with unsupported barrels

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Gil

Post by Gil »

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/brow ... =958&stk=1

Sportsmans Guide has been a good supplier for me. (Great customer service so far ) Become a club member and get good discounts along with coupons good toward every purchase. Shipping is fast and the $29 yearly membership fee is easily made up with your first purchase. Coupons are sent to your email and really cover most of the shipping costs.

gil. :)
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

Gil wrote:http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/brow ... =958&stk=1

Sportsmans Guide has been a good supplier for me. (Great customer service so far ) Become a club member and get good discounts along with coupons good toward every purchase. Shipping is fast and the $29 yearly membership fee is easily made up with your first purchase. Coupons are sent to your email and really cover most of the shipping costs.

gil. :)
I was a member until last weekend when my membership expired. I bought ammo from them and have taken advantage of my membership, but never really felt like it was much cheaper than any other online places. They're ok.
Joe