Theoretical Spring Post

Info, pictures, advice...
Foo Bird

Theoretical Spring Post

Post by Foo Bird »

I was recently doing some research on a Browning High Power site about hammer and recoil springs. On the site they stated that Browning eventually went to the same hammer spring strength as the .40 BHP on the 9mm MKIII.
Supposedly this would reduce slide velocity, reduce battering/wear, and extend the life of the pistol.

Well, that made me think about our P-64s. We put a stronger recoil springs on which increases slide velocity, while reducing hammer (mainspring) strength. Are we not reducing the life of our beloved pistols? If so, is it by a significant amount?

:?:
hardcorekeith

Re: Theoretical Spring Post

Post by hardcorekeith »

I think that most of us go to lighter hammer spring but heavier recoil spring and it probably kinda cancels out.

That said, maybe, and parts are nil, but they're C&R now so buy a few for spares.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Foo Bird wrote:I was recently doing some research on a Browning High Power site about hammer and recoil springs. On the site they stated that Browning eventually went to the same hammer spring strength as the .40 BHP on the 9mm MKIII.
Supposedly this would reduce slide velocity, reduce battering/wear, and extend the life of the pistol.

Well, that made me think about our P-64s. We put a stronger recoil springs on which increases slide velocity, while reducing hammer (mainspring) strength. Are we not reducing the life of our beloved pistols? If so, is it by a significant amount?

:?:
Actually, I do see what you're saying here. Basically, the Mainspring also plays a role in slowing the slide as it recocks the hammer. I think that the balance is a slightly stiffer recoil spring to offset the lighter mainspring. Interesting thought though.
John has a long mustache
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Foo Bird wrote:We put a stronger recoil springs on which increases slide velocity, while reducing hammer (mainspring) strength. Are we not reducing the life of our beloved pistols? If so, is it by a significant amount?
This statement doesn't make sense.

A stronger recoil spring will delay the blow back slightly as well as increasing the resistance which will slow the slide down. It may slightly increase the forward thrust when it inserts the new cartridge (or lack thereof). As for the light hammer spring, this may increase the slide velocity if you're using the original recoil spring. I don't know how much 4-7# lighter will affect the speed of the slide though. Stock hammer spring is 24# and the reduced weights are 17-20# (a difference of 4-7#). I'm not much on firearm physics but I don't think it would hurt too much.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Yes, the stronger recoil spring WILL reduce the slide's velocity to the rear upon firing. The lighter mainspring is also slowing it somewhat. So in that regard it may be about the same as stock. The difference is upon the slide's return. The stronger spring increases the velocity at which the slide slams home. The lighter aftermarket mainspring doesn't slow it down as effectively as the stock one would.
So the question remains, is this harder on the gun? I would say yes. Whether or not it's a negligable increase is the question.