P-64 vs cz82 recoil

Info, pictures, advice...
kdub420

P-64 vs cz82 recoil

Post by kdub420 »

Anyone know how the recoil of a p64 w/ wolf springs compares to a stock cz82? Trying to decide which to get-no one has any around here so I'm depending on the forums for advice.
thanx,
ken
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: P-64 vs cz82 recoil

Post by normsutton »

ken

the P-64 is a smaller gun and is thinner than the CZ-82 , the P-64 is going to have much more recoil than the CZ-82,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kdub420

Post by kdub420 »

Well then-guess I'll have to learn how to cc a cz82 and work up to a p64!
thanx,
ken
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

The first I ever heard about recoil being an issue with the P64 was when read it here. I shoot mine regularly and the recoil is weak in comparison to my P4AT or my wife's J-Frame 38. My 14 year old son shoots the heck out my P64 and has never said a word about recoil.
John has a long mustache
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

I may be just me but I am just using the stock recoil spring that came in my CZ-82 and my P-64 and I personally thought the P-64 had a better recoil than the CZ-82. I have a Hogue rubber Handall slip on grip on each gun and they help take up some of the felt recoil. Even with the slip on grip the CZ has more felt vibration . I may need to replace the stock spring in my CZ with a new new one and then compare it again.
nightwatch

Post by nightwatch »

I really don't understand why so many people talk about the recoil of a P64! I just don't see it as that bad. My 380 LCP has much more kick, as does a Kel Tec 9mm, etc. There are plenty of others also. Now I will agree, the DA trigger is the worst I've shot myself. I knew it was supposed to be heavy, but I actually thought it was BROKE the first time I shot it!! Go ahead and get the P64, you'll love it!
"If it's easy...... why bother"
volkov

Post by volkov »

also another here saying the p64 recoil isn't an issue for. I don't know where that opinion came from but it's at least over exagerated if not completly false. Maybe I'm just not as perceptive but it's never bothered me, I love my p64
mwarren1

Post by mwarren1 »

The recoil was harsh on the hand when I was shooting Prvi Partizan ammo with stock grips, and the fun factor rapidly decreased after a couple of clips. However, I put on a rubbery Pachmayr slip-on grip and switched to Silver Bear. I now don't find the recoil bad, and see no need for a stiffer recoil spring.
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

I've had my p64 for only a few weeks but I'd like to order a cz-82 as well given how inexpensive they are. I'm keeping my eyes on the posts like this. I had imagined that the recoil on the 64 was going to be more severe than the 82 and I like the comparisons that everyone is throwing out because I have a few of those other guns as well.
Last edited by former_usmc on July 24th, 2010, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
TriggerMortis

Post by TriggerMortis »

I took my CZ82 and my P64 together to the range recently and it kinda went like this: Two 12-round mags from CZ82 = that was fun, I'll take a bit of a rest. One 6-round mag from P64 = that was less fun, and I'll take a bit of a rest. The CZ82 has a bit of a kick too it, but not much. the P64 has a lot of kick to it. Is it horrible? does it hurt? no. is it super fun? no. Does it kick less than an even smaller gun? YES! WOW! But, one of the reasons this gun was discontinued was excessive recoil. Of all my guns, its the last on my list for happy time range fun.

However, this sounds like a secondary issue since it seems like you're interested in this gun for concealed carry. I used to carry my CZ82 and never had any major problems with it in that role. It's a tad heavy and the grip is a bit big because of the double stack mag, but I could still make it work with shorts and a tshirt. AND, I've seen plenty of people carry way bigger guns than that. Also, the CZ82 is far and away the best makarov-caliber gun out there and a steal for the price. It's sweet. BUT, I wanted to switch over to the P64 just because of its size. It's a skinny little thing and it's a lot easier to carry when you can just throw your gun into your pocket.
ERiC Miller
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

Just invest $10 on a rubber grip sleeve and you should be good to go. I use a Hogue Handall Jr and I know others are available. They really make a felt difference.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I've got both and honestly I don't notice much of a difference, maybe I should do an experiment in "double wielding" to find out for sure. :-)

I have a new, stock-rated spring in the CZ (which tamed it down quite a bit, the old one must have been worn out) and then whatever spring came with the P-64.

Neither are too bad for recoil in my opinion.
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I find that 9x18 recoil in any of these blowback handguns with Russian milspec ammo is quite sharp but manageable. The Hornady HPs are far easier to shoot and far more accurate, at least for me.

The CZ82 has better egonomics than the P64 and with its double-stack magazine and wider grip, spreads the recoil out more evenly. However, to my surprise, I find that the recoil from 230 grain milspec .45 ammo in a 4" aluminum framed 1911 is far more enjoyable for my money. The 9x18 stings; the .45 just pushes against the back of my hand.
mychoads

Post by mychoads »

I've shot both back to back, and with upgraded wolf recoil springs in them... 16.5 lb in the cz and 20 lb in the p-64. The cz, with more mass, has less felt recoil than the p-64. But I don't understand why people say the p-64 is painful/ not fun to shoot because of recoil. I find the p-64 plenty of fun to shoot, especially compared to my friends .40 cal s&w chief special. The p-64 does pack some punch, considering the size of the weapon, but it isn't unpleasant for me to practice with.... and I've shot over 100 rounds at a time at the range without a hiccup