Off Topic ( SKS)

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

This another addiction of mine , the SKS in the last 2 or 3 month's I"ve gotten 3 of them and I've got a 4th on the way

these 2 are YUGO'S M59 and I have a 1 YUGO 59/56 NOT PICTURED

I'd like know if any one else has this addiction on this board

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

Norm,

Yea, I have a definite affection for the SKS! The Yugo is the "best of the best" to me. One of mine is a mint unfired rifle I bought about 4 years ago. I had to clean about 5 lbs of cosmoline off this thing, but it sure is pretty. The next best is the Russian SKS. I have one of these that was unfired (looked like unfired anyway), but I have put several hundred rounds thru it so far.

The current Yugos selling in the gunshops are still a good buy and the accuracy is acceptable too. With soft point bullets, this rifle can be used for fun shooting or hunting too. The 7.62 x 39mm is close to the .30-30 in power. At least they are all steel and no plastic, LOL!

Here is one of my "Money Pit" additions:

OK, here is another one of my additions; Cowboy Action Shooting. Here is a photo of me out West at a match:

While on the Cowboy shooting, here is a bad photo of me several weeks ago on a trail ride:
Last edited by abwehr on December 2nd, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

abwehr

Have you ever been to the machine gun shoot in Kentucky , I think it's in Kentucky ,I saw it on the HISTORY CHANEL

I'm glade don't have to hand load for you all I have is a single stage press

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by papabear »

NORMSUTTON,

Not trying to butt into your post, however, the machine gun shoot you are referring to is at Westpoint, Ky and the next shoot is Apr 13-15, 2007. If you've never been it's a blast, it's like going to a gun show {Military}and getting to shoot all kinds of automatic weapons, you rent them of course.

http://www.knobcreekrange.com/

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on December 5th, 2006, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

I have just never had the time to get there! One of these days I have to go and shoot other MG that are there. The big kick for me would be to talk to everyone and have a good time. I have a friend thats parents live near there and we have talked for years about going, but so far, we have not been able to get together on the dates.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

I got on a 7.62x39 kick a while back. Here are a few including several SKSs, some of which I have sold:

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

bzinggg
That 2nd one man thats one beautiful stock, there is a new board
up for sks people

http://www.topfreeforum.com/lavasksboar ... asksboards

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

papabear

No, I greatly appreciate it

THANKS FOR THE LINK

http://www.knobcreekrange.com/

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by anjdrifter »

hi norm thanks again for the help with my trigger pin. had it on range worked great. also ordered grips you recommended. also have sks addition trying to fight. as far as knob creek It is just outside Louisville Ky about three quarters of way to Fort Knox. Right off Dixie Hywh. great area to visit and sight see.
(i was csi in luoovul before anybody knew what it was and also street cop) My ex sister law is on dept.and my son is xo for cg there now
anyway it is a great place My son and grandchildren go there all time. I just bought him a p 64 to try out there trying to break his 1911 colt habit. anyway thanks again al
zoostation

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by zoostation »

Norm,

SKS's are an awesome rifle. That top one in your picture has got to be the nicest condition Yugo Model 59 I have ever seen. My experience is that the 59's are generally a lot harder to find in good shape than the ubiquitous 59/66's. I love my SKS's, all 6 of them! 2 Tulas, 2 Yugos, one clean and one with Serb grafitti carved into it, a 1957 Chicom, and a Chinese Paratrooper. Here's a few pictures of the 1952 Tula I rescued. Bubba had gotten to it with some house paint. Took me forever but I got her cleaned off and eventually restained with some Tung Oil.

Original pic from ad on GA

Disassembly begins...

Three hours into it with lots of acetone, steel wool, and a chemical stripper (I wasn't kidding when I said house paint)

Now, first coat of Tung Oil applied

All done

Last edited by zoostation on December 13th, 2006, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

zoostation

Thanks I luck out it had a walnut stock on it the only ser# that match are on the stock and the receiver I like the M59's because they are still cheep

man that one of your's turned out real good too I'm glad to see
some one other than me uses paint stripper on stocks thats the only way to take the years of gun oil out of a stock the walnut stock had so much gun oil in it I had to p strip it then put it in the dish washer and p strip it again and put it in the dish washer again the let dry for a week then start sanding
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by beasleydano »

Lord, help me! I am getting the urge to buy another SKS!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

;D
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by himmel »

Hey Abwehr! Nice Western get-up there--is that a Confederate greatcoat?? But someone needs to learn to spell "Holliday" I see...LOL!!!
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by beasleydano »

I am thinking about getting a Yugo 59/66, possibly from AIM Surplus. Anybody have feedback from experience or any suggestions?