Off Topic ( SKS)

Info, pictures, advice...
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

Hello Guys,

I've got a couple of the Yugo Mausers, an M48 in pristine condition, and an excellent M48A shooter. The M48 is like new all around, and the M48A, with the greasy smell and much handled look of a rifle that was well taken care of for an extended period in the field, has an excellent bore and action:

M48A Shooter:

M48 Collector:
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

bzinggg

Nice looking Yugo Mausers, it looks like it just came off the assembly line

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

Hey Norm,

I hit on a real deal with that one. I bought it on Gunbroker.com from a guy in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area who is a Civil War re-enactor and a very knowledgeable, all-around firearms guy. I got the origional cleaning kit, oil brass bottle, muzzle protector, matching bayonet with scabbard and frog, the whole kit and kaboodle for less than half of what Mitchell's asks, and you're right, it's really like new. When I bought it, I was in the hunt for one to shoot. When I got it and looked it over, I put it in the safe and contacted Steve at AIM inquiring about a shooter. At that time, he told me to wait on a new batch they were going to score in a couple of months. It was hard to be patient, but I waited till they came out with the ad for the excellent shooters again, ordered one and got the shooter in beautiful condition with a bent cleaning rod. Chucked the worthless rod, cleaned it up a little and immediately thought about ordering about 4 more. It was all I could do to lay off of them, but I managed to weather the urge and keep the money in the bank! They sold out pretty quick, and I was out of danger. Ha.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by beasleydano »

Very nice!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

abwehr

I'm drawn to the milsurp stuff too

and I think you did alright on the Mauser's too
The Hungarian ammo is that the MSF 95 grn. ( so called +p ) if it is I think its the best ammo going for any of the 9x18 pistol's
some day the Serbian carvings are going to be worth a lot of money their are guys out there already collecting them.
The lakeland show was very busy , and every thing was way over priced I thought except SHINA 'S table you can get just about every thing she has on her site there at the shows and at $10.00 cheaper at the show the only thing is you have to pay tax on them and for the call in

she had 2 P-64's and 3 PA-63 now she has 2 PA-63's had to buy another one to put new grips on .
Did see a lot of very over priced sks's some in good shape alot of them in not very good shape

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

Norm,

The Serb SKS I have (by the way, I did go into my vault and saw the rifle, LOL) is a really nice one with well done carvings on the buttstock and the forearm piece. Overall, I would rate it at 95%. I thought they may have some additioanl collector vlue in the future so why not go for it. The price I paid was a little less than the ones without the carving. I think it adds a lot of history. My next buy from Midway is going to be the book on Serbian rifles. I read that is contains god info the markings, so another book is good.

I have found that the gunshows in SC & lower NC seem to have higher prices on most firearms than you can find on the internet. I usually wind up buying ammo cans, ammo or parts. Once in a while, I find reasonable priced firearms, but when I do, I don't need that particular one!

Since I will be at my office most of this week, I plan to go back to the gunshop Monday afternoon (sneak out of work a little early) and check out the two Yugo M48 rifles they have if they are still there.

I finally got the cosmoline cleaned out of the Yugo 24/47 yesterday. When I bought the rifle, it weighed about 15 lbs., after cleaning it was back to the normal 8 lbs, LOL! Man, there was a LOT of cosmo on the rifle. "bzinggg", you really made a good buy on your M48, that is a NICE one!

I need to find me a Polish bolt action in nice shape for the "Polish Collection" now!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by papabear »

bzinggg,

Nice score on those Yugo's, and thanks for the photo' they are nice too. I really like the milsurp rifles too. I only have two SKS's, a Yugo 59/66 with the dreaded grenade launcher, but really fun to shoot, and a 1951 Russian SKS, that is my safe queen.

I also like the Yugo M48 & M48A's, very good shooters and the German Mauser's, along with the RC Mauser's, and I shoot and really like the 7.92 Romanian ammo I got from Aim about three years ago, don't remember the head stamp because it's still sealed in the 380 round cans I got, I bought 8 cans or [4] cases @ 380 rds per can back then @ $49 a case shipped and I am down to my last three cans that are unopened that I am trying to hang to. Looking for some more 7.92 ammo to shoot so I can save the Romanian ammo. I have probably 300 rds of German surplus 39' ammo on original strippers but for me that is collectible and not for shooting.

Thanks for this OT thread guys ;D ;D

My daughter borowed my digital camera for a trip she is on, but here are some older pic's of my gun room with the SKS's and a few more.

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on January 21st, 2007, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

Nice!
kempin

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by kempin »

btw, as long as this post lives . . .

Have any of you tried the mojo aperture sights for the sks? If so, what did you think? The price is certainly right.

-Kempin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

Kempin

No I haven't but been thinking of trying one of these
http://www.tech-sights.com/
heard alot good things about them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

Norm,

That has to be the best iron sight I have seen for the SKS! The sight really would make shooting a lot easier for my old eye, LOL! On my Cowboy Action rifle, a Marlin 1894, I installed the rear Tang Sight and it is NICE to shoot without all the "fuzzyness" I see with regular sights. The quality vs. price apprears to be good.

You guys are killing me, LOL! After buying the Yugo M24/47, and seeing the nice Yugo M48 posted by "bzinggg", I had to have an M48 myself. Last night I bought a M48 and an M48A! I have to send my license to the gentleman and then he will ship to me so I should have them late next week or early the next! Somebody stop me, I am a MilSurp Addict! Will try to post some photos of all three when the others arrive.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

abwehr

I just order the TS100 sight don't need it to go up and down i can do that with front sight , my eyes too

finish my SAVAGE ENFIELD this morning
all cleaned up

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

What a piece of machinery, huh?!! Nice clear photography, Norm.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

bzinggg
Thank's I keep trying

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

Norm,

A very nice looking Enfield! I have one of the British Enfields made in 1943. I could get into these too, but one will do me for now. If I bought all the firearms I wanted, I would need a 10,000 sq ft. building. Of course I would not have the money to fill it, LOL!

The Enfield is like a Volvo, may not be the prettiest one on the road, but reliable and gets the job done in style. I have found them to be accurate for a military rifle and on par with the Mauser. It is a shame the ammo is not available as easy to get ans low priced as the 8mm Mauser is now.

Speaking of 8mm Mauser ammo, I have been reading on other Forums that if you want any, get it now as the supply may be drawings close to stopping; the same as the .308 has done in the past 6 months. If you need any, buy now while the price is low. The guys on the other Forums are buying single orders in the multi-thousand orders.