Off Topic ( SKS)

Info, pictures, advice...
b52stan

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by b52stan »

For you SKS guys, my FFL guy has two versions of the Norinco, new in box, for $225 out the door. Difference is the flat or spike bayonnet. Don't know if there is a milled or stamped difference. He has the Yugo 59/66 much cheaper, but don't care for the extra hardware.

Thoughts please?

Stan
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

STAN

I don't know much about the Chinese SKS's other than some have
a pined barrel and some don't ,they all have chromed barrels
where the yugo's don't.
this the Chinese section of the SKS board

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
b52stan

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by b52stan »

Thanks Norm, I'll take a look.

Stan
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by beasleydano »

abwehr

I am not a member of SASS but have thought about it. I have been involved in some Civil War re-enactments and western shootout stuff. The spectators, both kids and adults, really enjoyed them and we re-enactors had a ball. Several years ago a group of us did a Shootout at the OK Corral re-enactment during a centennial celebration for a small town and I got to ham it up as Wyatt Earp. The next time I might be Ike Clanton. My grandmother always told me that I looked like one of my ancestors by the name of Hosea Beasley who served in the Confederate Army and died at Shiloh. My grandmother said that he was a general but she had an old photo of him in uniform and he was a Lietenant then. In the photo he had that hat cocked up on the left side with the plume in it like John Mosby, The Grey Ghost. I always related to that image of him and as a boy, not knowing much about him, of course I embellished somewhat when I told all my buddies that he rode with The Grey Ghost. I have had grey hair for years and when doing Civil War re-enactments I became General Hosea Beasley, The Silver Fox. It was great fun!
zoostation

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by zoostation »

I am thinking about getting a Yugo 59/66, possibly from AIM Surplus. Anybody have feedback from experience or any suggestions?
AIM is good to deal with, so are Classic Arms and J&G Sales IMHO. Out of the three I would use Classic, they're a bit smaller and I like the personalized service. I've had some bad experiences with Centerfire, myself, they'll never get a dime of mine again. I would spend the extra fifty bucks or so for the unissued condition, you won't regret it, the shooter grades are cheap and some are fine but I've seen some really ratty ones too, bores as well as stocks. Make sure whoever you buy it from is giving you an accurate grade (i.e. unissued as in "like new" not unissued as in "no termites"). If you can find any of the unissued ones that were imported by Cherry's those are the nicest 59/66's I've ever seen.

Good luck, its a great rifle. Well worth the money.
zoostation

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by zoostation »

For you SKS guys, my FFL guy has two versions of the Norinco, new in box, for $225 out the door. Difference is the flat or spike bayonnet. Don't know if there is a milled or stamped difference. He has the Yugo 59/66 much cheaper, but don't care for the extra hardware.

Thoughts please?

Stan

Really a matter of preference. There are some varying receiver codes which make some of the Chinese rarer than others, too lengthy to go into here but Yooper John has a good website about the codes and such: www.yooperj.com. If its a Factory 26 rifle (most are) you can tell the year of mfr. by the serial number, add whatever million series it is to 1956. Ex., if you had a rifle with a serial # of 14,xxx,xxx then add 14 to 1956, it was made in 1970. This only works on factory 26 rifles, look on the left side of the receiver, you'll see a small triangle with squashed numbers in it, the numbers are the factory code.

Avoid the stamped rifles like the plague, unless you want one for collector purposes. They're easy to spot, the receiver is just like a stamped AK's in thinness. And finally if either of them is a 16" short version ("paratrooper") please GRAB IT! Those are getting rarer every day and are starting to go up in price.

Have fun. --zoo
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

beasley dano,

So far I have enjoyed the Cowboy shooting and SASS provides a nice monthly magazine. I also used to fo War Between the States reenacting, and WWII reenacting. Now days, I just don't have the time to do these fun things. I still put on German WWII MG42 Machinegunner seminars for local gun shows and VFW clubs. The VFW seminars are really fun. The old guys from WWII are really interested in learning about the German side of the war they fought in. There are not a lot of them left and the get a real "kick" to see me come out in a German uniform and shouting German commands, LOL. Here is a photo of me last year about this time getting ready to leave for a seminar.

Last edited by abwehr on December 24th, 2006, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

abwehr
didn't you post a picture of you in uniform at a show last year wear you giving a demonstration on GERMAN machine guns I'd like to see that but I doubt if I'll ever get up that way

any way i just finished my 3rd M-59 sks

and now working on my 1898 MARTINI in 303 BRIT.

all ready had to make a new firring pin for need to find a new barrel for it you can take a 303 bullet and drop it down the barrel and it will fall down to the breach
Last edited by normsutton on December 30th, 2006, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by space »

I am thinking about getting a Yugo 59/66, possibly from AIM Surplus. Anybody have feedback from experience or any suggestions?
AIM is good to deal with, so are Classic Arms and J&G Sales IMHO. Out of the three I would use Classic, they're a bit smaller and I like the personalized service. I've had some bad experiences with Centerfire, myself, they'll never get a dime of mine again. I would spend the extra fifty bucks or so for the unissued condition, you won't regret it, the shooter grades are cheap and some are fine but I've seen some really ratty ones too, bores as well as stocks. Make sure whoever you buy it from is giving you an accurate grade (i.e. unissued as in "like new" not unissued as in "no termites"). If you can find any of the unissued ones that were imported by Cherry's those are the nicest 59/66's I've ever seen.

Good luck, its a great rifle. Well worth the money.
+1 on ClassicArms http://www.classicarms.us

I got a very beautiful SKS 59/66 from them in 3 days.

Aim is very good also http://www.aimsurplus.com, I get all my ammo from them.
Last edited by space on December 30th, 2006, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by beasleydano »

Thanks for all the good info about where to buy. My SKS purchase is on hold temporarily. Just recently bought Star Super 9mm Largo, IJ70 Mak, Miltex Special Edition Mak, 2 Polish Radom 26.5mm flare pistols and Polish Lucznik military air pistol and have two deals pending for Polish TT33 7.62x25, Astra 1921 Model 400 9mm Largo and another P-64. I hope everyone had as nice a Christmas as I did and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

beasleydano,

Man, you are a busy guy with the gun purchases, LOL!!! You do need to keep the SKS on you list; they are great rifles and a lot of fun. Another good thing are the accessories that are available for them. TAPCO has bunch of great accessories.

Since we are a OT with this thread, I took a look at Classic Arms and saw where they had the Swiss Straight Pull rifles. So any of you guys have this one? I have a 1942 rifle in excellent condition with the name of the soldier that had the rifle under on a tag under the buttplate. Other than the ammo being a little expensive, they are FUN rifles and very accurate!
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by beasleydano »

abwehr

Yes, I saw the Swiss rifles. Nice. I need to finish up on these pistol deals and then I am going to get a SKS and a nice Polish M44 if I can get one at a decent price (I got outbid on the last two- twice the price of a Russian).
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

Just got today from SOG an other ENFIElD

most of the finish is gone on it but the bore is bright and no pits and very happy with it, now I need to take apart and clean up

and I think there's another gun show in lakeland this week end

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by space »

Bad habits die hard.... :)

Nice Enfield you got there.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by abwehr »

Norm,

Friday a week ago, I stopped in at a local gun shop I frequent to buy some primers and they had some of the Yugoslavian Mauser M24/47 and M48 rifles at decent prices. After looking over them, I found a nice M24/47 with a dark bore. I could not see pitting and the lands were looked so I took a chance with it. I had to go out of town so I did not get it cleaned up except to clean the bore. The bore cleaned upi very nice and does have some shine to it again and I felt very good about that. This weekend, I have disassembled the rifle for a full clean/lube season. I got this for $129 at the shop so the price was not bad. If I had ordered one, I would had paid about the same price with shipping and not get to pick it out myself so that was worth a couple dollars more to me. Now I am thinking about getting one of the M48 rifles! The MilSurp stuff has always attracted me.

Honestly, if the firearms is good mechnically and a good bore, I like the "battlefield" finish. It gives them CHARACTER. I think you have a nice looking rifle.

By the way, I finally got to shoot my CZ82 pistol I got for Christmas! While out of town, several of the guys from the office went to a local indoor shooting range. The pistol finally settled down after a couple of "hiccups". I took a box of 100 gr. Wolf cartridges to shoot up and test the pistol. When I racked the slide, the first round hung up at the chamber! a bump of the slide and it closed. After a couple of magazines, it was working perfectly. I think the edge of the Wolf case was sharp and just hung up on the feed ramp. When I got home, I tried some of the Hungarian ammo and they would slide right in with no hang ups. I think I will polish the feed ranp today and that should totally solve the problem.

Keep us posted if you get anything at the Lakeland gun show!

Edit - By the way, on the original subject of this thread, I was logging in the Mauser, and looking at some of my past purchase receipts (not anal, but I keep all my receipts and records, LOL) and found an SKS I had forgotten I had! it is a Yugo that has some nice carvings from a Serbian soldier. Finding this one was almost like getting a new rifle, LOL!! Now I have to go to the vault and locate it so I can play with it again.
Last edited by abwehr on January 20th, 2007, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.