Off Topic ( SKS)

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

Kempin

the first thing has the rifle been taken completely apart and all the Cosmolin taken off the rifle
2nd thing is there is a hole in the barrel where the gases valve goes it may need to be cleaned out

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

Kempin

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
if these guys can't fix your problems with your SKS I don't think any one can

if you want to talk about it email me your phone # or you can call me

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kempin

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by kempin »

Thanks Norm. I'll give it a look when I get some more free time.

-Kempin
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by grayfox »

Is the knob that controls the G launcher in the right spot? If not it won't eject.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by grayfox »

BTW,
A friend in Fla is going to ship a russian sks that he has had packed in cosmoline for 10 years to my area gunshop. He said it was a gift....good friends like that you keep. ( He was one of my Officers).
Grayfox
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

A good friend indeed ! I have a Russian SKS and I really like the workmanship as compared the the quick-rifles from China. They have threaded barrels instead of pinned on. That configuration just seems better made ,IMO, tho there appears to be no real evidence that one is indeed better than the other from what i've read. just that one is faster for changing out burnt up barrels. Do you have other Russian SKS rifles? I'll be anxious to hear about it Grayfox, G
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by grayfox »

A good friend indeed ! I have a Russian SKS and I really like the workmanship as compared the the quick-rifles from China. They have threaded barrels instead of pinned on. That configuration just seems better made ,IMO, tho there appears to be no real evidence that one is indeed better than the other from what i've read. just that one is faster for changing out burnt up barrels. Do you have other Russian SKS rifles? I'll be anxious to hear about it Grayfox, G
No, I have a Yugo & china, so the russian will help my collection.
The only one local is 349.00 plus tax.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by papabear »

grayfox,

Do you have anymore friends in FL with Russian SKS's......... ;D I do have a 1951 Tula and a 1953 Izzy, also a Yugo 59/66, I am thinking of taking the grenade launcher off of it, but I'll let my gunsmith buddy do that for me, I have heard bad stories about taking them off and messing up the bbl.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by bzinggg »

pb,

The grenade launcher is not hard to remove from a Yugo SKS. It is pinned and threaded with a regular right-hand thread. Drive out the pin. A little heat from the gas stove directly to the launcher (I'm not talking getting it red) will help on some with initial break free. Use large vice grips on the launcher while the barrel is secured in a padded vice. If you wish to save the launcher in case of selling it later, pad the vice grip jaw teeth with a piece of aluminum. I use a piece of an old aluminum storm window. I cut off the edge about 3/4" wide strip 2 inchs long with some tin snips, folded it around the launcher, applied the vice grips and screwed it right off. The grenade launcher sight can be carefully removed also. If you are afraid to heat it, well stand it launcher down in a coffee can holding penetrating oil. If you don't give ahoot about the launcher (and many buyers would prefer it removed anyway) then just put the grips right on and get western with it. Removing the launcher and sight really changes the balance of the rifle for the better. You'll love shooting it. Many of the Yugos, being heavier-duty than all but the Russian, are very accurate.

Here's one I fixed up that a guy gave me $325.00 for 2 years ago!:

(That is an inexpensive laser attached to the barrel behind the bayonet mount.)
Last edited by bzinggg on April 24th, 2007, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by papabear »

bzinggg,

Thanks for the info, your procedure sounds simple enough, I'll give it a try, don't have a gas stove, wife only wants a electric stove....... ::)....but I do have a propane burner. I have no need nor have I heard of anyone wanting the launcher or it sight, so I'll go "western" on it. Thanks for the pic also, nice looking rig.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on April 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

Got an email from SAMCO they still have a few SKS M 59's left that's the one that doesn't have the grenade launcher on it they are in fare condition, but their fair condition is like everyone else's good to very good

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on April 29th, 2007, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by rlj102468 »

I wish the damn Atf would hurry and get my C&R to me so I can get a 59/66. Norm do you know if SAMCO still has any. I trust your juddgement on getting one from them.

C-Ya, Bobby J.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

Bobby J.

you can email them an ask samco@samcoglobal.com

it may take a few days for them to back to you

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by anjdrifter »

ok I will go off topic also.. just got a set of grips from Chris,and am real proud to display his work on one of my favorite weapons.
Last edited by anjdrifter on April 30th, 2007, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by papabear »

anjdrifter,

WOW, those really dressed up that Nagant 1895, is that our "Peter the Great 95, hey they look great, what wood is that? Oh, can I borrow 'em for a spell.............. ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER