Off Topic ( SKS)

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

grayfox

At the last gun show I went to all SKS were going for 200 and up and they were in to good of shape they had maybe 3 to 4 YUGO's for 300
I think you did just fine on that NORRINCO SKS

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by grayfox »

Thanks Norm. Other than the chinese symbols, there are no import markings on this gun at all.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

grayfox

I think NORRINCO is the importer sorry about that but you still did good on it , just don't shoot any wolf ammo in it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by grayfox »

Naw, I still have a bunch of norinco ammo (steel core), and some lead core. I'll shoot the wolf in my yugo, but not this one. (I get tired of cleaning the plastic out of the chamber).
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

Guys.. i shoot wolf mil classic all the time with no bad effects ever. i have had only good shooting with no FTF's at all ever ! i keep seeing the posts saying not to shoot it and i just don't get it . Please fill me in on why y'all don't shoot it. seriously , i want to know what i am apparently missing here.
i have heard this from others and i don't see where they got their info. i shoot the wolf almost exclusively in my chinese SKS . it is about the only affordable ammo around here and gives me excellent groups. i have tried several others and am ready to start reloading for it also, most of the American Ammo is so high $$ that i was driven to stock up on wolf ammo . Anyways,, please post back with some reasons and facts. thanks y'all , G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

G

you've been lucky but there has been a rash of blown primers in wolf ammo in , 9 x 18, 9 x 19 , 223,
762 x 39 , there is a lot better ammo out there that won't damage your gun and for about the same price or just little higher

it only takes one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

yes ! Thanks ! i had not heard "WHY", i just heard folks say "bad ammo" .
That is a good tip there ! i have never had a blown primer that i know of , but, i HAVE read about them and the damage/danger of them in handloading forums and such but not about the Wolf Ammo . i have literally shot 700 ,maybe more of the Wolf Military classic 7.62 x 39mm 124gr FMJ in the light camo boxes. It seems like really great stuff ! it is a good thing , to hear of any issues like this. Do you recall where this happened or whom it happened to? i am curious if it was a certain lot# , or batch that was made, maybe? i bought 1,000 round case of it and only have a couple hundred left now and they have been really accurate/trouble free, and generally a "blast" to shoot ! My Chinese SKS is in horrible shape but is one of the funnest shooting ones i have . I'd like to keep it that way ! So , Thanks for the heads-up Norm ! i'd like to know more about these type of things happening, so if you know of, or know someone , whom has had any issues with Wolf(any other brand for that matter) Ammo , Please post All the facts that you can. Thanks Everybody !! G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by grayfox »

Garry,
I haven't shot the wolf classic ammo. The problem I had was when they use to coat thier ammo with a plastic coating. After a while, it would jam up the action. Except for that, never had a problem. The wolf 7.62x39 I have left is the older stuff, someday it'll be all gone.
Last edited by grayfox on April 20th, 2007, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

great info ! Thanks guys ! I just saw a post from march about the wolf 9x18 ammo where it was mentioned that the brass was flying everywhere as a hint !
Graywolf = it'll all be gone someday . ooooh yeah !!! haha
G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

Hey
Norm ! I went to that 1st site there and it reminded me of "pierced" primers ! Indeed i have seen a few of those ,but ,I didn't recognize that as a problem "at the time" . i just figured it was "this fine and mighty battle rifle is STRONG as an Ox !" and i thought it was just the heavy strength FPin springs. lol i am still reading these "other " boards here looking for more reasons. Thanks for getting me those links so fast ! great job !! I hope several others will update their knowlege base by reading around. A broken firing pin may seem like a cheap$$ fix, but it is the unseen stress on the rest of the gun that can hurt ya ! Be Safe guys !! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

This site has some good info about different 9x18 Ammo brands that were tested and chronographed. Good reading to you ! G
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=110185
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by garry »

BTW... that "Fine and Mighty battle rifle ", I was referring to is my 7.62x54r Mosin Nagant M44 version, that was where I had some pierced primers and split cases and some melted holes where the gases burned thru the side of the thin walled cases.(milsurp) I think maybe it was Hungarian? It came in a light blue box w/20 per box. It is brass cased w/heavy fmj pointed bullets.
Anyways , Thanks again ! G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by normsutton »

G

the powder their using in these cases are from what they sweep up it has a mixture flare powder and other powders in it my advise is to pull the heads dump the powder out and reload the cases with good powder
I have seen this before on another site

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kempin

Off Topic ( SKS)

Post by kempin »

As long as we are off topic on the sks, I have a question. I got an old yugo from my brother--by old I mean heavily used--that did not cycle well. It will occasionally eject a round, but mostly it doesn't even have enough "oomph" to stovepipe. I thought it might be the ejector, but it does occasionally throw a round, and works fine when you work the action manually.

I ordered a replacement gass valve from Numrich, which was quite a tight fit, and I thought would fix it, but there doesn't appear to be any difference.

I am new to the sks, so don't be afraid to point out the obvious. ANy suggestions about where to go from here?

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin