Quick introduction and my new P64

Info, pictures, advice...
waltham41

Quick introduction and my new P64

Post by waltham41 »

Hi all, am from NE Okla, 50 yrs old ex military and been collecting milsurps for many years.

Am not new to the 9x18 round, have a FEG PA63 and 2 CZ82 pistols and love them.

Recently ordered a P64 on a whim, read a lot of negative about it on the net, but a lot of positive here so I decided to give one a try. It is true that the trigger is really heavy and the recoil is sharp, but the wolf springs I ordered took care of that.

So far have only shot 15 rds through it, 7 before the spring change, and 7 after to verify there was an improvement. Have not tried any accuracy tests yet, I subscribe to the any shootout you get into will most likely be at 7 yds or less theory.

I cannot say this would be a pistol that I would enjoy shooting a box of ammo in a row out of, it still has a little bite to it, but I can say that it would be a pistol I would use as a pocket carry pistol when a little nip to the palm would not be noticed in a life or death situation.

I do not like to trust my life to the little pieces of plastic they churn out these days, I want a sturdy well made pistol and that is what I find in the P64

BTW, ordered mine from SOG with my C&R license, did not pay hand pick, and got a 1968 model that is at probably 98%. Looks as new as a 42 year old pistol can look. Not a lot of cleaning needed to be done, am very happy with the purchase from SOG (my first from them)

Thanks for listening, will be around learning about this great little pistol.

Philip
mwarren1

Re: Quick introduction and my new P64

Post by mwarren1 »

Hi Waltham! My sons love their plastic guns, but I prefer old school blue steel. Yes, the P64 can be harsh on the hand. However, I put a Pachmayr slip-on grip on mine and found that it made shooting a box of ammo more comfortable. The Pachmayr is also easy to put on/take off. I hope you enjoy your P64 as much as I enjoy mine!
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Believe me, if I could get the wife to look the other way I would buy another one LOL
former_usmc

Post by former_usmc »

hey fellow newbee! Thanks for the feedback on it. I ordered one from SOG at the beginning of the week as well and I think my FFL should've received it today, so hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

You said there wasn't much cleaning to it needed? Wasn't it pretty gooped up with cosmoline? I'm anticipating that is would be since that's what most others here have said when they got theirs.

Congrats and thanks again!
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

Mine came with very little cosmoline and was real easy to get cleaned out. New condition and works like it should. I don't think you will have any trouble with it.
-greg
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

read a lot of negative about it on the net
Such as? Everyone I know that owns one loves there's.
John has a long mustache
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

waltham41,

First off, welcome aboard, glad to have ya with us. Second, good to hear you are a all steel gun guy, my feeling exactly, however, I do own one plastic gun and its one I keep loaded at my desk, its a Taurus PT145. As for shooting a box full of 95gr 9x18 I do it all the time, and sometimes two box's but that just me I love to shoot the P-64, I have the original springs in all mine, the only thing I changed was the grips, put on some Zee grips from a member here, I'm pretty sure he is still making em. Anyway, hope to see you here often.

Papabear
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

former_usmc,

Welcome aboard, its good to have ya with us, hope to see you here often, we have a lot to share. BTW, I thought once a Marine always a Marine.... :lol:
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys, and I do plan to become a regular around here, just will not always have anything to say LOL

Mine came very clean, with just a little cosmoline in the innards. A good spraying out with WD40 got mine clean and working fine. Then put CLP in the friction spots.

As far as the neg comments, it was mostly that the recoil is sharp, the trigger is very stiff with the factory spring and it is a little on the heavy side for such a small pistol. People also point out that the Polish military left the design behind with "new and improved" pistols as time went by.

And of course the people that say that its just a copy of the PPK so why not just buy the real deal.

I dunno, it seems like a great little pistol to me, it is what it is. I think this one is a keeper :)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I don't think WD40 is recommended as a gun cleaner...

It is "similar" in design to the PPK, but has its own little characteristics. Calling it a copy of a PPK is like calling a Ford Pinto a Chevy Impala. They're both cars, but they have their own characteristics.

Welcome aboard!
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Welcome to the site/club. Even though you have a decade plus on me, I too prefer all metal. That's why I bought one myself. Good to see I'm not the only one.
Yes they are a little harsh on recoil, and my hand slipped up the grip enough to get a little slide abrasion, but I really like it. I find people either love them or hate them and I probably saw the same things you did online.
In a way it's too bad they went C&R because now the word is out about them. Buy another while you can.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

waltham41 wrote:And of course the people that say that its just a copy of the PPK so why not just buy the real deal.
Ammo cost!!! :shock:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

hardcorekeith wrote:Ammo cost!!! :shock:
Very good point!
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

juniustaylor wrote:I don't think WD40 is recommended as a gun cleaner...

It is "similar" in design to the PPK, but has its own little characteristics. Calling it a copy of a PPK is like calling a Ford Pinto a Chevy Impala. They're both cars, but they have their own characteristics.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the warm welcome..... as far as the WD40, people either love it or hate it but I have found over the years that it works well for me at least, and is not harsh on anything you use it on.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

waltham41

I use WD-40 to clean guns too, don't let anybody tell you different, works good, I buy it by the gal. can , put it in a spray bottle

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage