Quick introduction and my new P64

Info, pictures, advice...
former_usmc

Re: Quick introduction and my new P64

Post by former_usmc »

papabear wrote:former_usmc,

Welcome aboard, its good to have ya with us, hope to see you here often, we have a lot to share. BTW, I thought once a Marine always a Marine.... :lol:
Papabear, thanks for the warm welcome. I plan on spending quite a bit of time here and look forward to getting to know as much as I possibly can about this neat little weapon. You are also correct in that we're always Marines, but "former active duty jarhead" just seemed too long! :lol:

Thanks again!
Joe

I'd say 90% are saying, We all know it's fake; we're playing along. The other 10% are saying, We're ready! And I'd say 10% of that 10% can't wait for it to happen.
Max Brooks on Zombies to CNN
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I've been reading about WD40 and guns for decades now. The only really negative thing I have heard is that if a gun is sprayed with it and put up for long term storage, it can dry to a sort of shellac. The really good thing I have heard is that is really is water displacing, so if your steel gun gets wet in the rain or dunked in non-saltwater, then spray the crap out of the gun, and clean normally as soon as you get the chance.

Now my own preferences for cleaning is: Normal cleaning, Ed's Red; Metal removal, MPro7. Lubrication: lithium grease on rails (after applying, wipe off until you cannot see any white grease; drops of MPro7 on other moving parts where needed. Long term storage, or for protection after complete degreasing: Eezox.

But if you get three gun guys together, you'll get four opinions on cleaning, lubricating, and preserving. To each his own.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

I too would like to welcome you here I am fairly new myself. I have had my gun for three weeks now and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I also hate plastic guns. I was looking at the Ruger LCP and went with the P-64 because it is all metal and the ammo is less expensive and easier to find than the 380acp. It is similar is size just a little bigger and heavier but still is very easy to conceal. These military/surplus guns are a super good buy and built like a tank. I also have a CZ-82, PA-63 and a Russian Makarov. I love these guns!
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

Little story about WD40 and long term storage.... my aunt has a 1930's model Winchester pump .410 shotgun that was her late husbands. It has always been kept in a old fashoned gun sock with a zipper, looks like a alligator patern but is made of plyable plastic or something similar from back in the 70's.

It was put up in a closet where the hot water heater is, and forgotten. I got it out several decades ago, and it had a pretty good start of surface rust going. I got a sock and some WD 40 and gently rubbed it for several hours, and the rust was removed with some but not all of the bluing. Very little pitting thankfully.

I sprayed it down good with WD and put it back in the sock back in the closet with the water heater and promptly forgot about it.

Jump forward 10+ years, I rememberd it and thought aww crap its gonna be bad. Got the sock out, took the gun out and it looked just like when I had put it in the sock except that the WD was no longer "wet". No varnish, just a rust free gun.

It gets humid at times in Oklahoma, plus being in the closet with the hot water heater so I know the gun was subjected to moisture over the years.

That sold me on the stuff, have trusted it ever since.

Your results may vary but I have almost 40 weapons that are kept clean and rust free thanks to the stuff :)