Considering getting a P64 for the wife

Info, pictures, advice...
Kalashnikov Josh

Considering getting a P64 for the wife

Post by Kalashnikov Josh »

I've been looking at a small pistol for the wife for self defense.

Is the p64 a good choice?

Aside from changing the springs to reduce the DA trigger pull, is there anything I must do to make the pistol 100% reliable?

I heard about the trigger return spring?

MUST this be changed to ensure reliability?

Also-grips.

Are there any grips available that dont cost 55-60 dollars?

Thank you for your help.
hardcorekeith

Re: Considering getting a P64 for the wife

Post by hardcorekeith »

Is she recoil-shy? The P64 can be pretty snappy. I don't mind it enough to bother changing the recoil spring though.

The only thing required should be a thorough cleaning, assuming you get a good specimen. My first P64 had a good trigger (*as far as P64s go) out of the box, whereas the other two, not so much.

I guess it should be mentioned, however, that there are some combinations of woman and P64 which result in a complete inability to pull the trigger in DA mode.

I'd probably just slap a Hogue Hand-All (~$12) on there if you wanted to improve the grip feel.
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

The p-64 is a very reliable weapon. As Keith mentioned it has a pretty good kick behind it. If she can't take the recoil like my wife, I would suggest something along the lines of a .380. I purchased the Walther pk380 a few weeks back, and she just loves it. In my opinion there is no slide easier to rack back than the one on pk380. Accurate as all get up, and you won't even notice the recoil.
Kalashnikov Josh

Thanks so far guys.Recoil might be an issue,but the other pistols we have looked at under the $300 price range like the kel-tec would all be pretty snappy too,being that they are so small and so light.
My main concern is of course reliability.
I dont think she'd notice recoil if she actually had to use the thing in a really bad situation.
But I'm sure she,and whoever is trying to victimize her,will notice very clearly a 'click not bang'.
And that would be bad.

Would the recoil on this pistol be similar to the PA-63?

I have one and she's been using it for awhile without any problems.

Its just a little too big for her tastes,she wants something smaller.

Say,how much smaller is a P64 compared to a PA-63 anyhow?
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

A PA-63 in 9x18 Makarov, to me has the same amount of recoil as the P-64. My nephew carries a PA-63, and we shoot them both quite often.
Kalashnikov Josh

hey Mike is the P64 appreciably smaller than the PA63?
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

They are fairly close in size.
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

Both are very reliable weapons.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

Here's a picture of PA-63 vs P64 vs LCP.

The $300 price range is a tough one. You end up sacrificing on one or more areas. It's like, "reliable / good trigger / cheap, pick two." I actually like the LCP, except women frequently find it hard to rack and the ammo is expensive.

Is she going to be carrying the gun, or just keeping it at home?
Attachments
p64 (2).jpg
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Josh, if your wife has been using a PA-63 with no problems, she should have no problems with a P-64. The P-64 is only slightly smaller than a PA-63. I think the P-64 has slightly less recoil than the FEG. At least that is my perception. I believe the P-64 is more durable than the PA-63.

Yes, I have both. Actually I have 2 P-64s and plan to buy another as soon as my C&R arrives. I enjoy shooting the P-64 more than the PA-63.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

While the P64 may appear to be similar in size to a PA-63 I can tell you that it definitely doesn't feel that way. My P64 feels much smaller in my hand and in an IWB holster than the PA-63. The P64 is actually more close in size to an FEG R61.
John has a long mustache
kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I recommend you let the wife shoot a number of different handguns and then decide for herself. I learned a long time ago that its better than "telling" her she needs a particular item. I did this for my wife and then she asked for my opinion (SHOCK...). We ended up purchasing a Bersa 380CC for her.

My wife is a little recoil shy and she has had no desire to shoot my P64.
darrell

Post by darrell »

I think that a PA-63 stock has a much more painful recoil, in that it punishes the 1st knuckle of the thumb. With a heavier recoil spring and hogue handall grip on both, the PA-63 is more pleasant to shoot. The P-64's European magazine release actually make it more reliable for me. I will accidently hit the mag release every time at the range at least once. It is no big deal there, as I push up the magazine and rack the slide. In a gunfight it could be bad.